Trans-gender folks....

OldRUSHfan

I suspect most of the anti-trans flack comes from religious types but I'm sure there are other non-religious types who just don't know how to deal with it and responded negatively. If the media, usually local stuff, would stop writing stories about the "miracle of a man having a baby" we'd have less problems, imo.

Men cannot have a baby just as a woman cannot impregnate anyone. If you (the transgendered) want to be a man, then be a man and don't get pregnant or if you do, don't go to the media with your "miracle". It's disingenuous, at best.

• Like 2

Let's just disagree with each other constantly in each thread and post. (Hint: if you don't violently argue with my post you're doing it wrong)

F#CK YOU!!! Who the F#CK do you think you are telling me how to reply to your post?!?!

Really! Kind of like being dickish and focusing on a typo in someone's post. The nerve...

Your thoughts on this:

In the past, the use of the masculine pronoun "he" was used universally, to refer to anyone regardless of gender.

Some people then objected to the exclusive use of "he" to refer to both male and female antecedents, and therefore suggested the phrase "he or she," or to alternate using he and she, or to use "they" but only when referring to plural antecedents. English does not have a gender-neutral singular pronoun (with the exception of "one," which only works in some very generic cases).

Now, people object to the phrase "he or she" because it is considered too exclusive--it does not represent those people who are experiencing gender uncertainty or confusion or dysphoria. Now it is suggested that we use the plural pronoun "they" to function as a singular pronoun. Tons of people do this anyway, so what's the harm?

What do you think? Are you traditional and think grammatical rules should stay the same to avoid ambiguity, or are you more ideologically minded, and think that Standard English is a dialect of enslavement and exclusivity, and must adapt to new realities?

Sorry - I hope I didn't harsh anyone's buzz by posting this question.

Shades of Ayn Rands Anthem?

• Like 1

Let's just disagree with each other constantly in each thread and post. (Hint: if you don't violently argue with my post you're doing it wrong)

F#CK YOU!!! Who the F#CK do you think you are telling me how to reply to your post?!?!

Really! Kind of like being dickish and focusing on a typo in someone's post. The nerve...

Kinda ;)

Your thoughts on this:

In the past, the use of the masculine pronoun "he" was used universally, to refer to anyone regardless of gender.

Some people then objected to the exclusive use of "he" to refer to both male and female antecedents, and therefore suggested the phrase "he or she," or to alternate using he and she, or to use "they" but only when referring to plural antecedents. English does not have a gender-neutral singular pronoun (with the exception of "one," which only works in some very generic cases).

Now, people object to the phrase "he or she" because it is considered too exclusive--it does not represent those people who are experiencing gender uncertainty or confusion or dysphoria. Now it is suggested that we use the plural pronoun "they" to function as a singular pronoun. Tons of people do this anyway, so what's the harm?

What do you think? Are you traditional and think grammatical rules should stay the same to avoid ambiguity, or are you more ideologically minded, and think that Standard English is a dialect of enslavement and exclusivity, and must adapt to new realities?

IMO, people should speak as they like. If everyone were secure in themselves and who they are, then there would be no problem if I always used the pronoun "He", or if a woman always used the pronoun "She". As long as the meaning is understood, as long as the audience knows that the speaker is speaking about everyone and not just men (or women), then I don't see a problem.

• Like 1

Your thoughts on this:

IMO, people should speak as they like. If everyone were secure in themselves and who they are, then there would be no problem if I always used the pronoun "He", or if a woman always used the pronoun "She". As long as the meaning is understood, as long as the audience knows that the speaker is speaking about everyone and not just men (or women), then I don't see a problem.

I'm not sure if it is the LGBQT community objecting or other people worried about the LGBQT community objecting (to the phrase "he or she," I mean).

It's f***ing stupid and simple-minded to insinuate that someone is being hateful or prejudice because he or she referred to Caitlyn Jenner as "he."
  • Like 2

It's f***ing stupid and simple-minded to insinuate that someone is being hateful or prejudice because he or she referred to Caitlyn Jenner as "he."

If it was an accident, I can say, "alright, this person made a slip, it's no big deal." But if this person were to continually do it, despite being told that respecting someone's gender identity and pronouns is the respectful thing to do, I'm sorry, at that point it is clear that there is a prejudice against transgender individuals or just doesn't give a f**k about being respectful to your fellow human beings.

I'm not a fan of Caitlyn Jenner per se, I think she's pretty ignorant twoards certain things about the LGBT community, the fact that she admitted that it took some "getting used to" to accept gay marriage in the US and that the hardest thing about being a woman is figuring out what you want to wear I find to be pretty shallow and stupid. But as much as I may not like her, I'll still be respectful of her gender identity.

Edited by fraroc

There are stupid and ignorant people on both sides of this argument.

which is true of pretty much every argument!

Right but I was referencing the above post.

• Like 1

People are not born with hatred....., it's a learned behavior.

Hatred, like fear and anger, and all other emotions, are innate. We ARE born with them. As we grow and learn, we come to either master those emotions or let them run wild.

If we have good parents and teachers, we learn to live in this society without letting our "dark emotions" get the best of us. We learn that we can never make others live the way we want them to live, so we just tend to our own gardens, and we live in peace.

Sadly, though, some cannot do this. They would rather be miserable and make others miserable, too.

Edited by Principled Man

If it was an accident, I can say, "alright, this person made a slip, it's no big deal." But if this person were to continually do it, despite being told that respecting someone's gender identity and pronouns is the respectful thing to do, I'm sorry, at that point it is clear that there is a prejudice against transgender individuals or just doesn't give a f**k about being respectful to your fellow human beings.

I'm not a fan of Caitlyn Jenner per se, I think she's pretty ignorant twoards certain things about the LGBT community, the fact that she admitted that it took some "getting used to" to accept gay marriage in the US and that the hardest thing about being a woman is figuring out what you want to wear I find to be pretty shallow and stupid. But as much as I may not like her, I'll still be respectful of her gender identity.

Fraroc has a point, she definitely does have a point.
  • Like 1

My question it, why to folks think they get to tell others what is right for them?

If your dick is swinging in the breeze of the girls/ladies locker room I have a problem. Otherwise I really don't care.

• Like 2

OK, here goes a more serious post...

...I'm not a big fan of religion of sorts.

The Bible tells me to "love my neighbour as myself".

Nowhere I have I read, "love my neighbour 'if'..."

I know a couple of transgender people, many gay people, religious, non religious, straight, addicted, democrat, republican, independents, black, white, financially wealthy, not so financially and people of all colours and nationalities.

The one thing they have in common is that I love them simply for being them.

As far as the details of their individual preferences, it is really of no concern to me.

I read a long time ago is that the one thing most people don't know about themselves is that they matter.

My goal in life, when it comes to interacting with others, is to make them feel like they are loved and that they matter.

All of this whether or not I understand what life is like from their perspective.

I'm a fairly devout christian, and that is something that I am bothered by. We are told not to judge, yet so many Christians use the bible as a reason to judge gays. Hypocrites. :facepalm:

Just remember that not all Christians are that way. :)

• Like 4

So many people are just hung up about sex, whether it's changing sex or having it, or even the lack thereof. I blame organized religion.

I blame Canada!

No.. we're pretty chill with sex up here eh

I know a couple of transgender people, many gay people, religious, non religious, straight, addicted, democrat, republican, independents, black, white, financially wealthy, not so financially and people of all colours and nationalities.

As far as the details of their individual preferences, it is really of no concern to me.

I read a long time ago is that the one thing most people don't know about themselves is that they matter.

My goal in life, when it comes to interacting with others, is to make them feel like they are loved and that they matter.

All of this whether or not I understand what life is like from their perspective.

I'm a fairly devout christian, and that is something that I am bothered by. We are told not to judge, yet so many Christians use the bible as a reason to judge gays. Hypocrites. :facepalm:

Not all christians are that way?

No.. NO christians are that way. Period.

A Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Jesus. Jesus didn't judge so if you do then you're not a Christian in that respect..

As I see it anyway

• Like 4

A Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Jesus. Jesus didn't judge so if you do then you're not a Christian in that respect..

As I see it anyway

many people who loudly call themselves christians are that way.

Edited by Anthemic
  • Like 3

As I see it anyway

Many people violently kill others in the name of Islam. . It's always handy to know the difference ;)

• Like 2

As I see it anyway

Many people violently kill others in the name of Islam. . It's always handy to know the difference ;)

Many Christians have killed in the name of God also. Let's not turn this into religion bashing.

As I see it anyway

Many Christians have killed in the name of God also. Let's not turn this into religion bashing.

I'm not bashing religion I'm actually sticking up for it..

and no offense but you're kinda showing us what's wrong with the world.

Christians who kill in the name of God are not true christians and shouldn't be called christians.. just murderers.. that's all I meant by knowing the difference.

likewise if a Muslim terrorizes people "in the name of god" they should not be called a Muslim or even Islamic extremists.. just murders and terrorist.

Does the (insert holy book of choice) teach to kill? Then they're not really doing it in the name of god are they??

K I'll shut up.. sorry for the tangent lol

• Like 4