Favorite Albums of 2015

Union 5-3992

2015 was a very fun year for me with new music. Hopefully some of you also found some great new music too. I figured it's the end of the year and the dust has settled for most albums that came out.

1. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase. (Still as fun to listen to 7 months later)

2. Ghost - Meliora (Though more concise fewer weak tracks, it just doesn't grab me the same as HCE)

3. Baroness - Purple (This may be a bit too soon but it was a big surprise to me. Like a perfect cut down version of Y&G)

4. Iron Maiden - Book of Souls (If this was cut down to a single album with the best tracks, it would be number 2)

5. Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror

6. David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock (easily trumps the post Waters Floyd albums)

7. Buddy Guy - Born to Play Guitar (Best work by Buddy since Living Proof)

8. Intronaut - The Last Direction of Things

9. Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine

10. The Gentle Storm - The Diary

Honorable mentions:

Motörhead - Bad Magic

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - The Night Creeper

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 3

Ooooh... Favourite Is a tough one, but I think what I was most most impressed with was Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Nightwish.

Number 2 is probably Coma Ecliptic by Between the Buried and Me.

Third would have to Love, Fear and the Time Machine by Riverside, I love the video for Found (The Unexpected Flaw in Searching).

Fourth goes to Quiet World by Native Construct, when I listened to it I was amazed that it was only their debut album.

Fifth and sixth go to Iron Maiden, Book of Souls and Von Hertzen Brothers, New Day Rising depending on what mood mood I'm in really.

Seventh would be Underworld, thank you cyclonus for reminding me :)

If I'm allowed live albums Devin Townsend Project, Live at Royal Albert Hall and R40 would be in there too.

I feel like there's alot I missed but that's all I can think of at the minute.

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 2

Not in any order really

Iron maiden - book of souls

Symphony x - underworld

Amorphis - under the red cloud

Queensryche- condition human

Riverside - love, fear and the time machine

Rush - R40

Honorable mention

Ghost- meloria

Saxon - battering ram

David gilmour- rattle that lock

Edited by djflex
  • Like 1

Ooooh... Favourite Is a tough one, but I think what I was most most impressed with was Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Nightwish.

Number 2 is probably Coma Ecliptic by Between the Buried and Me.

Third would have to Love, Fear and the Time Machine by Riverside, I love the video for Found (The Unexpected Flaw in Searching).

Fourth goes to Quiet World by Native Construct, when I listened to it I was amazed that it was only their debut album.

Fifth and sixth go to Iron Maiden, Book of Souls and Von Hertzen Brothers, New Day Rising depending on what mood mood I'm in really.

Seventh would be Underworld, thank you cyclonus for reminding me :)

If I'm allowed live albums Devin Townsend Project, Live at Royal Albert Hall and R40 would be in there too.

I feel like there's alot I missed but that's all I can think of at the minute.

I might check some of these out!

But nothing came close to Nightwish this year! Was totally, absolutely captivated by it in such a big way! Precious record, truly beautiful.

This year belonged to Nightwish and nothing came close. Not one single, solitary album, whether it be a new release or a newly discovered old classic.

• Like 1

Rush - R40 Live.

Do I have to say anything? Its new Rush!

It's honestly not all that.

• Like 1

ad lib

(R40 Live - Rush)

Meliora - Ghost

Love, Fear And The Time Machine - Riverside

Hand.Cannot.Erase - Steven Wilson

War Of Kings - Europe

Transformation - FM

Haven't heard the latest Saxon, and I fing can't warm up with the new Maiden.

• Like 2

ad lib

(R40 Live - Rush)

Meliora - Ghost

Love, Fear And The Time Machine - Riverside

Hand.Cannot.Erase - Steven Wilson

War Of Kings - Europe

Transformation - FM

Haven't heard the latest Saxon, and I fing can't warm up with the new Maiden.

Thanks for the reminder on the FM i need to give it a listen.

Gonna give the europe a spin also

• Like 1

Dunno about ranked faves yet but the biggest disappointment by a country mile was that weak, limpass, uninspired, flatline stinker by The Sword. Still crying giant buckets over that one.

Yes, that sucked....

Kinda wish you hadnt reminded me of it

• Like 1

Gilmour's Rattle That Lock had some good things to offer. If you're into Division Bell Floyd that's what you're getting, so have at it.

R40's pretty good. Better than anything since R30, but not better than R30 or Rio.

Iron Maiden's Book of Souls was a slam f***ing dunk. Love this album to death.

Muse's Drones wasn't bad. Songs like Reapers and The Handler are good tunes, but songs like Psycho are just plain bad.

Joe Bonamassa's two new live albums, one a full concert of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf tunes, and one from his latest tour supporting Different Shades of Blue. Muddy Wolf's alright, you have to be in the mood for that old kind of blues, though. When you are though, it's great. The DSOB one is great, he's got a small string and wind ensemble playing with him and it sounds nice.

• Like 1

1. Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase

A modern masterpiece and arguably his best work outside Porcupine Tree...or in that band for that matter. One for the ages.

2. Baroness - Purple

Wonderful record released just this past Friday. The band combines their earliest heavy edge with the great melodic hooks of their last album. Killer riffs as well. Get this album now (for the cover if nothing else).

3. Riverside - Love, Fear, And The Time Machine

A mellower and more mature fare from the under-the-radar prog rockers....but the songs are there. Maybe the best slow burn of the year. That no one knows who this band is is tragic.

4. Iron Maiden - Book Of Souls

What that I haven't already said (or you already know). Killer double slab with fantastic bookend pieces, each of which would make my list for songs of the year as well. Empire Of The Clouds is just a ridiculously amazing epic effort for a band this far down the road.

5. Gary Clark Jr - The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim

Awesome follow up to his studio debut and epic blues live album. Like the first record Gary experiments with psychedelic rock, blues, and R&B soul...creating maybe the most diverse listening experience of the year.

Solid, solid..!!!

Runners up: Ghost's Meliora (wow!!), the Winery Dogs' Hot Streak, Foo Fighters' St. Cecilia EP, the early pre-release of JOLLY's Family album (due in 2016)

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 3

"Book Of Souls" was really up there for me this year but sadly I cold barely get through it. Good Lord.

Nothing blew me away this year at except for.....................................

You know this...............

GHOST!!!!!!

THEY RULE!

No one can touch them now.

If you don't believe me then suck my lust.

If you hate me then in God you must trust.

I must say it over and over again.............

Modern music will aways rust.......

Unless you cover your naked cold body in mummy dust........................

• Like 2

1. Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase

A modern masterpiece and arguably his best work outside Porcupine Tree...or in that band for that matter. One for the ages.

2. Baroness - Purple

Wonderful record released just this past Friday. The band combines their earliest heavy edge with the great melodic hooks of their last album. Killer riffs as well. Get this album now (for the cover if nothing else).

3. Riverside - Love, Fear, And The Time Machine

A mellower and more mature fare from the under-the-radar prog rockers....but the songs are there. Maybe the best slow burn of the year. That no one knows who this band is is tragic.

4. Iron Maiden - Book Of Souls

What that I haven't already said (or you already know). Killer double slab with fantastic bookend pieces, each of which would make my list for songs of the year as well. Empire Of The Clouds is just a ridiculously amazing epic effort for a band this far down the road.

5. Gary Clark Jr - The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim

Awesome follow up to his studio debut and epic blues live album. Like the first record Gary experiments with psychedelic rock, blues, and R&B soul...creating maybe the most diverse listening experience of the year.

Solid, solid..!!!

Runners up: Ghost's Meliora (wow!!), the Winery Dogs' Hot Streak, Foo Fighters' St. Cecilia EP, the early pre-release of JOLLY's Family album (due in 2016)

This guy knows what he´s talking about!