The Beatles vs. Rush

Lorraine

The Beatles vs. Rush  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

I just rated it on how consistent the Beatles were. Rush are really not. Again If the beatles continued. they would have released some all out stinkers i assure you.

see the solo careers, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I just rated it on how consistent the Beatles were. Rush are really not. Again If the beatles continued. they would have released some all out stinkers i assure you.

see the solo careers, lol

Mick

It's odd but I feel I should tick The Beatles, but unlike Rush, I don't feel emotionally connected to any of The Beatles albums. Yet I can play nearly everything they have done, and repeat it several times in a day...but Rush moves me!

And I would place Sgt. Peppers below my three least favourite Rush Albums: Signals, Roll The Bones and Rush.

• Like 1

This poll surprises me.

For me it may be my age. I was born after the Beatles and was a young teen in the late 70's and 80's so Rush was more on my radar. I prefer their harder edge too and musical complexity.

This is very similar to what I was saying, too. It may be a generational thing for me; if I were older, my answer might be different. (It also may be because my brother introduced me to Rush when I was six years old, and by no later than seven, I was completely hooked). Rush music just thrills me more.

The Beatles were fantastic- they were like no other group that had ever come before them, and they made their mark on the history of popular music in a way that no one else ever has since.

But still, for me, it's Rush, because...Rush.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Rush is my band. The beatles is my parents band.

Its a generational thing. It aint rocking enough if your parents approve!

my grandma approved and loved Rush........theory killed, lol

Mick

Well i did say parents but i do remember your grandmother ripping bong hits and listening to 2112!

She was cool!

• Like 1

beatles are "better," but to listen to, I VASTLY prefer rush.

That I understand completely.

I, too, prefer Rush, but there is no denying that The Beatles could pen a song. I don't think I can count on one hand the number of their songs that I would purposely skip over. Rush, on the other hand, after Signals, it more miss than hit with me.

• Like 1

beatles are "better," but to listen to, I VASTLY prefer rush.

That I understand completely.

I, too, prefer Rush, but there is no denying that The Beatles could pen a song. I don't think I can count on one hand the number of their songs that I would purposely skip over. Rush, on the other hand, after Signals, it more miss than hit with me.

Beatles Bbsides are still some of the best songs ever written. Rain? We Can Work It Out? Dont Let Me Down?

• Like 1

I'm the reverse of some in that I grew up on Rush (from '76 on) and only "discovered" The Beatles in college in the late '80s after dismissing then out of contrarian stubbornness all my life prior to that (though oddly I had no problem embracing post-Beatles solo stuff, esp Wings Over America).

From AFTK through MP Rush were completely unapproachable, like gods on Olympus, with maybe only Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd allowed partway up the mountain. I still love those albums and listen to them frequently, mostly through live recordings. But discovering The Beatles as an adult-ish person was like exploring a vast and wonderful undiscovered country that had been sitting outside my house all along, I just hadn't bothered to notice. I still remember hearing stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm Only Sleeping, It's All Too Much, Dear Prudence and Across the Universe for the first time and thinking that it is like something a very avant garde Indie band would do if they were just ridiculously off the charts talented. Exploring The Beatles catalog for the first time was so amazing. Started a several-year obsession. I don't listen to them regularly anymore, though when I do from time to time (Abbey Road, MMT or the White Album most commonly; though I admire Rubber Soul and Revolver the most) I still marvel at how good they were/are.

So, I'll go with The Beatles though I have been listening to Rush far more the last couple years, having learned to like the recent stuff and rediscovering how much I love MP and earlier. Before that though, through most my adult life, The Beatles had the clear edge. Still, Hemi remains a magical experience. The Beatles only entrance me like that in short bursts; classic Rush could do it over the length of an album.

Hard choice this, but this swings it. I was looking for the first take of the song, my favorite (the Revolver version is take 3), but all Beatles takes are unavailable except for this. Starts at 0:55. Perfect setting for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1SblXMi08

Edited by Rutlefan

I'm the reverse of some in that I grew up on Rush (from '76 on) and only "discovered" The Beatles in college in the late '80s after dismissing then out of contrarian stubbornness all my life prior to that (though oddly I had no problem embracing post-Beatles solo stuff, esp Wings Over America).

From AFTK through MP Rush were completely unapproachable, like gods on Olympus, with maybe only Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd allowed partway up the mountain. I still love those albums and listen to them frequently, mostly through live recordings. But discovering The Beatles as an adult-ish person was like exploring a vast and wonderful undiscovered country that had been sitting outside my house all along, I just hadn't bothered to notice. I still remember hearing stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm Only Sleeping, It's All Too Much, Dear Prudence and Across the Universe for the first time and thinking that it is like something a very avant garde Indie band would do if they were just ridiculously off the charts talented. Exploring The Beatles catalog for the first time was so amazing. Started a several-year obsession. I don't listen to them regularly anymore, though when I do from time to time (Abbey Road, MMT or the White Album most commonly; though I admire Rubber Soul and Revolver the most) I still marvel at how good they were/are.

So, I'll go with The Beatles but I have been listening to Rush far more the last couple years; having learned to like the recent stuff and rediscovering how much I love MP and earlier. Before that though, through most my adult life, The Beatles had the clear edge. Hemi is still a magical experience though. The Beatles only entrance me like that in short bursts; classic Rush could do it over the length of an album.

Hard choice this.

Dude my uncle placed a pair of headphones on me and played Tomorrow Never Knows for me. 10 year old mind blown.

Mick

• Like 1

.. Still, Hemi remains a magical experience. The Beatles only entrance me like that in short bursts; classic Rush could do it over the length of an album.

You are taking them out of their time by saying that.

The Beatles revolutionized music and took it places it had never been before. They led the way. The others all followed. Some closely. Some not so.

Hemispheres is a classic seventies album. The Beatles were long gone by then, but they started it all with Sgt. Peppers.

Had you been around when it was all happening, you would understand better. It is hard for me to put into words fifty years after the fact what it was like at the moment.

^ For sure. I knew this guy who had been in college in the second half of the '60s and he said what you are saying. He recalled when MMT and the White Album came out and the anticipation was like new Star Wars movie today; people lining up to buy it, collecting in their dorm rooms to listen to it, with the help of various hallucinogens, as he told it. They were happenings.

I'm only speaking subjectively. I was much more mature when first listening to The Beatles; I was a wide-eyed dreamy adolescent when I first listened to Hemispheres. Apples and oranges in that sense, but regardless, Hemi will always be unique, even it it has an unfair advantange.

Edited by Rutlefan

If Hemispheres had come out in the very late sixties, or the very early seventies, I think it would have been even bigger than it was. I always thought it was an album that came too late on the scene. By the time it did come out, that type of music was already passing way. But this doesn't take away from the fact that it was and is an epic album - no matter when it was released. I just think that if it had come out earlier, it would have made a greater impact. Just my opinion.
  • Like 1

One can argue that Hemispheres is Rush's best album. It contains, what I think is, Rush's only true epic. Face it, "The Fountain of Lamneth" and "2112" are separate songs strung together by a story/theme. "Hemispheres" holds together as one distinct song. And side two is... well... perfect.

Note, I always thought that if Side 2 of Abbey Road had some sort of lyrical theme or story it could be considered a prog "song".

• Like 2

One can argue that Hemispheres is Rush's best album. It contains, what I think is, Rush's only true epic. Face it, "The Fountain of Lamneth" and "2112" are separate songs strung together by a story/theme. "Hemispheres" holds together as one distinct song. And side two is... well... perfect.

Note, I always thought that if Side 2 of Abbey Road had some sort of lyrical theme or story it could be considered a prog "song".

The first time I heard Hemispheres was three years ago.

Great is great, and epic is epic. That album has withstood the test of time. It really is timeless, unlike many other similar albums which now sound dated to me. I don't hear that on Hemispheres.