The Official "THE FORCE AWAKENS" Thread: May The Force Of JJ Abrams Be With You! SPOILER ALERT!

RUSHHEAD666

Going to see it again Christmas weekend. Freaking awesome movie.

I love Star Wars......it's a spaghetti western set in space. A Saturday morning serial with a monster budget. Star Wars nerds crack me up. Like you think this is supposed to be intelligent sci-fi.

It's not. It is supposed to be fun.

You want serious? Go watch Next Generation Star Trek which bores me to tears.

I almost totally agree in regards to Next Generation.

Serious talk about most things (movies & tv in particular) is pretty ridiculous so talking at length about Star Wars isn't unusual to me. NFL geeks are about as bad as they get. Rambling off stats and predictions and fighting about them as if they were lines of demarcation. I don't give a shit how athletic those players are, the serious TALK about the games is absurd. Pre-game shows that last an hour?...two hours?...entire afternoon/evenings? It's as silly as talking about The Force, useless Stormtroopers & Trek red shirts, and Vulcans.

P.S. I like the NFL. I've liked the Patriots since they sucked with Steve Grogan.

• Like 1

I love Star Wars......it's a spaghetti western set in space. A Saturday morning serial with a monster budget. Star Wars nerds crack me up. Like you think this is supposed to be intelligent sci-fi.

Serious talk about most things (movies & tv in particular) is pretty ridiculous so talking at length about Star Wars isn't unusual to me. NFL geeks are about as bad as they get. Rambling off stats and predictions and fighting about them as if they were lines of demarcation. I don't give a shit how athletic those players are, the serious TALK about the games is absurd. Pre-game shows that last an hour?...two hours?...entire afternoon/evenings? It's as silly as talking about The Force, useless Stormtroopers & Trek red shirts, and Vulcans.

P.S. I like the NFL. I've liked the Patriots since they sucked with Steve Grogan.

Grogan was my idol for some ungodly reason when I was playing HS football. OK, I just dated myself :)

But that skinny dude really had a canon and throwing to Stanley Morgan was just beautiful

• Like 2

Grogan was my idol for some ungodly reason when I was playing HS football. OK, I just dated myself :)

But that skinny dude really had a canon and throwing to Stanley Morgan was just beautiful

Yup, you're right.

You'd probably be just a few years older than me. I was in 8th grade when the Bears demolished the Pats in the Super.

Yeah, I liked Grogan too. Thinking I should buy an old school Pats jersey with his name on the back.

Hell, it's an inside joke but one of my bro's nicknames for me is "Doug Flutie" (though he got around quite a bit and wasn't just a Pat).

Just saw it with my ten year old with whom I watched the original trilogy a month ago. It was a blast to see his excitement, and to listen to his questions. He was piecing together the elements from the previous films, so it was cool to watch his wheels turn. Of course, when I got home it was a great experience to reflect on my experience from 1977, and remember my brother and I having faux light saber battles with the posters we got from the theater.

I can't remember a film that I attended where the audience applauded after it was all said and done. Well there's a first time for everything. That happened here...and my kid and I joined in. Francis Ford Coppola once remarked to Lucas that he could start a religion based off of his seminal film after the wave of rabid enthusiasm was witnessed world wide. Lucas started a religion for sure (Influenced by Joseph Campbell).

The film was such an improvement over the previous three installments. Abrams certainly nailed the vibe that fans have been dying to feel. Several things seem to hit me negatively, but overall, I can't complain much because I was so thoroughly entertained.

Perhaps the most disappointing element of the film for me was Finn. His dialogue was just out of wack for the vibe of a Star Wars film, though I loved the line when Chewie choked him. Who knew that former stormtroopers were so articulate, and actually cursed? That said, he was a good character overall and I think he was a sound decision to insert into the story.

Too bad Han is gone. This film was really about him and Leia. Every moment on the screen was fantastic, though Leia carried a really weird vibe...perhaps all the plastic surgery had something to do with it. Anybody else think of that? That's all I could think about when I saw her face.

The interaction between Ren and Solo was such welcome comic relief. The moments in the MF, and her basically thinking a step ahead of Han was an interesting twist. Boy, talk about a quick study.

BB-8 is also a significant entry into the canon of these films. A perfect fit. This droid was easy to love from the very beginning.

Overall, you gotta thank your lucky stars that Lucas took his dickbeaters off this franchise, and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing.

The Mythology/Philosophy - I could talk about this all night long. It is not to be underestimated. The Light and Dark Sides of the Force is a huge metaphor for almost every major religion. The timeless story of the self-sacrificing Hero, fighting his/her way through personal tragedy and hardships to save others (or himself), never gets old.

What's really cool about what Lucas has done is that he's used the standard archetypes to tell the same old story, yet in new worlds. However, the worlds are very familiar to us.

The whole father/son dynamic always gives us lessons in our own lives from these films IMO.

There was no prodigal in this story, unless you consider Kylo's confession an attempt of being that figure, which leads me to another point of interest for me personally: Jedi and Stormtrooper trainees were taken from their parents for a reason. Of course we assume the Jedi's always asked politely for those who were good candidates for Jedi training, but the troopers were taken, or abducted.

Interesting how the whole idea of "disconnection" from emotional attachments is key in service, or blind service. It's like making someone an emotional eunuch. This is considered a prime trait in these endeavors, which in the end, are spiritual in nature. Makes me curious about life as a stormtrooper after hours....what exactly did they do for "fun"? Or did such a thing exist for them?

Another thing I didn't like that I forgot about: kylo Ren is set up as a dangerous dark side user that can stop blaster shots in mid air. He has a difficult time defeating 2 people who have no light saber experience in hand to hand combat.

He has great mental abilities, but to his evil master's chagrin, is poor at sports. :LOL:

Just saw it with my ten year old with whom I watched the original trilogy a month ago. It was a blast to see his excitement, and to listen to his questions. He was piecing together the elements from the previous films, so it was cool to watch his wheels turn. Of course, when I got home it was a great experience to reflect on my experience from 1977, and remember my brother and I having faux light saber battles with the posters we got from the theater.

I can't remember a film that I attended where the audience applauded after it was all said and done. Well there's a first time for everything. That happened here...and my kid and I joined in. Francis Ford Coppola once remarked to Lucas that he could start a religion based off of his seminal film after the wave of rabid enthusiasm was witnessed world wide. Lucas started a religion for sure (Influenced by Joseph Campbell).

The film was such an improvement over the previous three installments. Abrams certainly nailed the vibe that fans have been dying to feel. Several things seem to hit me negatively, but overall, I can't complain much because I was so thoroughly entertained.

Perhaps the most disappointing element of the film for me was Finn. His dialogue was just out of wack for the vibe of a Star Wars film, though I loved the line when Chewie choked him. Who knew that former stormtroopers were so articulate, and actually cursed? That said, he was a good character overall and I think he was a sound decision to insert into the story.

Too bad Han is gone. This film was really about him and Leia. Every moment on the screen was fantastic, though Leia carried a really weird vibe...perhaps all the plastic surgery had something to do with it. Anybody else think of that? That's all I could think about when I saw her face.

The interaction between Ren and Solo was such welcome comic relief. The moments in the MF, and her basically thinking a step ahead of Han was an interesting twist. Boy, talk about a quick study.

BB-8 is also a significant entry into the canon of these films. A perfect fit. This droid was easy to love from the very beginning.

Overall, you gotta thank your lucky stars that Lucas took his dickbeaters off this franchise, and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing.

The Mythology/Philosophy - I could talk about this all night long. It is not to be underestimated. The Light and Dark Sides of the Force is a huge metaphor for almost every major religion. The timeless story of the self-sacrificing Hero, fighting his/her way through personal tragedy and hardships to save others (or himself), never gets old.

What's really cool about what Lucas has done is that he's used the standard archetypes to tell the same old story, yet in new worlds. However, the worlds are very familiar to us.

The whole father/son dynamic always gives us lessons in our own lives from these films IMO.

There was no prodigal in this story, unless you consider Kylo's confession an attempt of being that figure, which leads me to another point of interest for me personally: Jedi and Stormtrooper trainees were taken from their parents for a reason. Of course we assume the Jedi's always asked politely for those who were good candidates for Jedi training, but the troopers were taken, or abducted.

Interesting how the whole idea of "disconnection" from emotional attachments is key in service, or blind service. It's like making someone an emotional eunuch. This is considered a prime trait in these endeavors, which in the end, are spiritual in nature. Makes me curious about life as a stormtrooper after hours....what exactly did they do for "fun"? Or did such a thing exist for them?

For fun, Stormtroopers not only storm but also troop. They're mostly workaholics. If they do a great job they won't get a pay raise or extra fringe benefits. They'll simply get a color addition to their white armor. The super elite Stormtroopers may get different armor AND a different paint job but still receive no salary increment. Sucks to be a Stormtrooper.

• Like 1

When I want fun I watch JJ's Star Trek reboot which got my wife who can't stand Star Trek into it. Of course I love the original crew and all the movies except for the god awful Star Trek V.

Anyway....This film I actually have ranked ahead of Jedi.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

That's actually not a bad way to list these films!

I would go

A NEW HOPE

EMPIRE

THE FORCE AWAKENS

JEDI

SITH

MENACE

ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS

When I want fun I watch JJ's Star Trek reboot which got my wife who can't stand Star Trek into it. Of course I love the original crew and all the movies except for the god awful Star Trek V.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I would go

A NEW HOPE

EMPIRE

THE FORCE AWAKENS

JEDI

SITH

MENACE

ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS

2 people ranking Phantom above Attack? So much craziness.

Anyway, it goes:

Could Rey be the granddaughter of Obi Wan?

Or the illegitimate child of Han?

Rey did seem to have an instant connection with both Han and Leia, that's for sure. I've read about the Obi-Wan's granddaughter and I like that idea actually. How old is Rey in the story? Maybe 20? Which means she was born ten years after the events in Jedi. Does the math add up there? Hopefully someone smarter than me can figure that out.

Obi-Wan would had to have a relationship with someone while hidden away on Tatooine when he was watching Luke in secret. I suppose that's possible but that doesn't really seem like something he would do. Old Ben was too dedicated to the Jedi and their old ways to impregnate someone. Perhaps he had a kid through some artificial means?

• Like 1

Rey did seem to have an instant connection with both Han and Leia, that's for sure. I've read about the Obi-Wan's granddaughter and I like that idea actually. How old is Rey in the story? Maybe 20? Which means she was born ten years after the events in Jedi. Does the math add up there? Hopefully someone smarter than me can figure that out.

Obi-Wan would had to have a relationship with someone while hidden away on Tatooine when he was watching Luke in secret. I suppose that's possible but that doesn't really seem like something he would do. Old Ben was too dedicated to the Jedi and their old ways to impregnate someone. Perhaps he had a kid through some artificial means?

Perhaps conceived like Anakin. No sperm donor needed.
  • Like 2

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I would go

A NEW HOPE

EMPIRE

THE FORCE AWAKENS

JEDI

SITH

MENACE

ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS

Anyway, it goes:

I can't help it. I love Darth Maul and the soundtrack of Menace.

Shit Attack Of The iPhones is by far the worst!!!!!!!

Let's say, as you guess, Rey was born 10 years after Jedi. It's no problem.

- Luke was about 25 during Return of the Jedi. Maybe Obi would've been about 65 (Guiness was actually 69 then).

- Force Awakens is set 30 years after Jedi which makes Luke about 55 and Obi WOULD'VE been about 95.

- You don't think it's possible for a 20 year old to have a 95 year old grandfather?...well, when I was 20, my grandfather was EXACTLY 95.

- The numbers adding up aren't a problem. Yoda was nearly a thousand years old.

• Like 3

I hope not. None of the shitty prequel ideas need repeating.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Those prequels really stink now that the Force Franchise is back on track! I want to watch Attack Of The Clones tonight but I'm not sure I want to waste my time.

Let's say, as you guess, Rey was born 10 years after Jedi. It's no problem.

- Luke was about 25 during Return of the Jedi. Maybe Obi would've been about 65 (Guiness was actually 69 then).

- Force Awakens is set 30 years after Jedi which makes Luke about 55 and Obi WOULD'VE been about 95.

- You don't think it's possible for a 20 year old to have a 95 year old grandfather?...well, when I was 20, my grandfather was EXACTLY 95.

- The numbers adding up aren't a problem. Yoda was nearly a thousand years old.

I love the way you break shit down man. You are the most cerebral Star Wars fan I know.

• Like 1

Those prequels really stink now that the Force Franchise is back on track! I want to watch Attack Of The Clones tonight but I'm not sure I want to waste my time.

The prequels were shit two weeks ago. They were shit 16 years ago. They'll always be shit! Force Awakens didn't change their shittiness in any way.

• Like 1

The prequels were shit two weeks ago. They were shit 16 years ago. They'll always be shit! Force Awakens didn't change their shittiness in any way.

Blaze! You are so full of SHIT!!!! LOL!

They are all horrible at the end of the day. Only a few quality moments in each film.

I really hated how "Sith" ended with Vader acting like fukking Frankenstein. Tarkin stood up there with nothing to say. Just awful.

The lava scene was so fake and over the top fake.

I honestly can't remember "Attack Of The Clones" except for Jango Fett. I mean Jango Regret.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I would go

A NEW HOPE

EMPIRE

THE FORCE AWAKENS

JEDI

SITH

MENACE

ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS

Anyway, it goes:

Darth Maul makes a cameo just to get killed. He was a completely pointless character, though better than the movie-killing Jar Jar and the horrible acting Anakin. Attack is obtuse, but far more interesting and less cringeworthy.

• Like 1

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I would go

A NEW HOPE

EMPIRE

THE FORCE AWAKENS

JEDI

SITH

MENACE

ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS

Anyway, it goes:

Darth Maul makes a cameo just to get killed. He was a completely pointless character, though better than the movie-killing Jar Jar and the horrible acting Anakin. Attack is obtuse, but far more interesting and less cringeworthy.

I couldn't agree more.