Quickly! Name Your Top Five Drummers Of All Time!!!!!! Favorite Or Best! Doesn't Matter!

RUSHHEAD666

Neil Peart

Keith Moon

Bill Ward (in his young days)

John Bonham

Gene Krupa

Krupa nice! Krupa over Rich?

That's why I put them together. To be honest, Rich was inspiring, but he didn't influence my playing in any way. Way out of reach for me....

ETA: I did have a Gene Krupa drumming book, though.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

just gonna do current favorites because I'd rather not do another "peart/bonham/ward/bruford/etc" post

chad wackerman

terry bozzio

chester thompson

dale crover

john weathers

What. No Vinnie??

APPICE?

COLAIUTA

Steve Vai told the following story:

“ He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there. Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar. It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing.[1]

• Like 2

just gonna do current favorites because I'd rather not do another "peart/bonham/ward/bruford/etc" post

chad wackerman

terry bozzio

chester thompson

dale crover

john weathers

What. No Vinnie??

APPICE?

COLAIUTA

Steve Vai told the following story:

“ He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there. Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar. It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing.[1]

HAHAHA! DUH! I love Vinnie! I have his solo album! He's wonderful!

How about TONY FRIGGING WILLIAMS THEN! IT'S AN EMERGENCY!

STEVE GADD! TRIPLET KING!

Nice call. Watch the T4E video "A work in Progress" and take a sip of beer everytime Neil says "Gadd-fill" or demonstrates one. You'll be hammmered in no time.
  • Like 1

Nice call. Watch the T4E video "A work in Progress" and take a sip of beer everytime Neil says "Gadd-fill" or demonstrates one. You'll be hammmered in no time.

Hahaha! Hypocritically I have two copies. One to watch and one that is sealed. Great shit.

• Like 1

I love that video. :D

• Like 2

Neil Peart

Keith Moon

Bill Ward (in his young days)

John Bonham

Gene Krupa

Krupa nice! Krupa over Rich?

Yeah I "feel" more with Krupa.

A couple of Hon. mentions for me:

Ginger Baker

Danny Carey

Buddy Rich

Dave Lombardo

Charlie Watts

Bill Bruford

Michael Shrieve (his work at Woodstock with Santana.amazing!)

Danny Seraphine (original drummer for Chicago)

Edited by driventotheedge

chad wackerman

terry bozzio

chester thompson

dale crover

john weathers

What. No Vinnie??

couldn't do all zappa dudes!

Stewart Copeland

Neil Peart

Cindy Blackman

Travis Barker

Dave Grohl

cc7adb25240abf24a7a6972a045b0c1b--stew-drummers.jpg

Stewart would be the perfect replacement for Neil. Good drummer, among other things.

Edited by Boots
  • Like 1

Stewart Copeland

Neil Peart

Cindy Blackman

Travis Barker

Dave Grohl

cc7adb25240abf24a7a6972a045b0c1b--stew-drummers.jpg

Stewart would be the perfect replacement for Neil. Good drummer, among other things.

I always thought so too, but he's no spring chicken anymore either.