The Counterparts Appreciation Thread (or moan fest thread)

Segue Myles

I remember that when the album came out, some critic mentioned that Double Agent reminded him of 2112. I always wondered what the HELL he was talking about. But I do think it's a cool and different tune. Love Cut to the Chase, Between Sun & Moon, Alien Shore, and Cold Fire, too. Great tunes, and great guitar tunes.

I'm not wild about how Geddy sings "shore" as "show-whore." Alien show whore?

Oh I do like Cut To The Chase and Cold Fire as well. How many more songs are on there?... :eh:

11222097_1223964050952312_3695002341168282142_o.png

It debuted at #2 in the U.S.(a first for Rush) The only reason it didn't come out @ #1 was the fact that Pearl Jam's second album 'Vs' was released the same week in 1993.

This seals it then. The music the public generally hated or didn't find enjoyable or acceptable was the great music I always loved. I knew there was another reason that I generally didn't like this kind of music or this era for that matter... :)

Yeah, I had forgotten that today is the anniversary of its release!

I was a junior in college...I skipped class to go to the record store where I worked to go buy it, at 10:00 AM...and it was raining...

Ahh, the things we remember.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Love the production. It's the last great sounding Rush album, right up there with MP and Perm Waves. And before Alex and Geddy started going overboard with too many layers of guitar/bass/vocals

Don't care Neil's lyrical theme and many of his lyrics here though. Speed Of Love was the first Rush song that I disliked immediatly.

Between Sun and Moon is the only song on this one where they sound like they're having fun and rockin' loose as opposed to the more serious darker songs on the album

That's my 2 cents.

One of their worst albums along with Roll the Bones and Test for Echo. Very bland, generic songwriting and a lame attempt at alternative rock which doesn't suit Rush at all. Only hearing this album you may never be quite sure why people consider Rush in any way musically ambitious or for that matter, more interesting than the popular grunge/alternative rock bands.

I must admit I had lost interest in Rush for a bit around the time of HYF, but Counterparts was the album that brought me back. It was great hearing Alex's guitar so up front again and the overall band sound given its punch back (drums in particular). Musically, SIO blew me away the first time I heard it (even if the chorus was a little lame). The thing that's great about Counterparts is that while there are still a few overdubs here and there, it mostly sounds like the three of them jamming together on guitar, bass and drums live in the same room. Clean, undiluted and heavy! I think Neil perhaps went a little overboard lyrically with the whole getting-in-touch-with-my-feminine side theme, but I can live with it on an album that sounds so good musically. And I've come to better appreciate the wordplay in Cold Fire and a couple other tracks with age. Great album, still love it!

Gonna say it again:

Everyday Glory is a real favourite.

• Like 4

Best post Moving Pictures album by far IMO

Double Agent is just sick...

I hope he gets well soon :scared:

• Like 2

Gonna say it again:

Only one of several underrated songs on that album. But it is fantastic, I agree.

My faves are:

Animate

Cut To The Chase

Nobody's Hero

Alien Shore

Double Agent

Leave That Thing Alone

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

Everything else is bad to good, but these songs alone would make an incredible short album!

• Like 2

Gonna say it again:

Only one of several underrated songs on that album. But it is fantastic, I agree.

My faves are:

Animate

Cut To The Chase

Nobody's Hero

Alien Shore

Double Agent

Leave That Thing Alone

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

Everything else is bad to good, but these songs alone would make an incredible short album!

I agree with all of your choices!

And it would be about the same length as Moving a Pictures, or Grace Under Pressure. Perfectly fine and good.

• Like 1

Also, I'd like to say (as some others already have) something in defense of Nobody's Hero. It seems to be the subject of some vehement dislike. And why? The lyrics, most say.

If we project that the subject matter is acceptance of others' sexuality, and tangentially about the tragedy of venereal disease...before you dismiss it as just preachy and you don't like it or whatever...I feel compelled to point out that it was written in 1992-'93...civil rights hadn't progressed anywhere near to the point that they have today, at least in the Western world. And AIDS had only been in existence for roughly ten years. There were a whole lot of backwards opinions, at that time. So...it's all about context.

That is all. :)

• Like 2

Also, I'd like to say (as some others already have) something in defense of Nobody's Hero. It seems to be the subject of some vehement dislike. And why? The lyrics, most say.

If we project that the subject matter is acceptance of others' sexuality, and tangentially about the tragedy of venereal disease...before you dismiss it as just preachy and you don't like it or whatever...I feel compelled to point out that it was written in 1992-'93...civil rights hadn't progressed anywhere near to the point that they have today, at least in the Western world. And AIDS had only been in existence for roughly ten years. There were a whole lot of backwards opinions, at that time. So...it's all about context.

I don't mind Nobody's Hero, but that's about the most I can say. I don't even know why it doesn't appeal as much as other songs. It's almost as though I like the various parts, but I don't like the whole. I think Lifeson's choices of chords and his acoustic playing are great - it's nice to hear a more organic sound - and I think there are some good changes; I think the lyrics are fine, and the musical changes, and the solos. But it just doesn't blow me away. It could be that the vocal is occasionally a bit forced, or something. It's maybe difficult to express that first line in a really musical way?

It would be a perfect song if not for that opening line..."I knew he was different in his sexuality". Sets a weird tone

Gonna say it again:

I completely agree with this! The vocals especially are great.

• Like 3

The last of the LeStudio albums ...The cave man really put a nice gritty edge on this album- back to the amp sounds and the roots. the air in Morin heights must have been nice and crisp to bring out the punch and creative juices on this peice of work!! The kicker is the Toronto Blue Jays won the World series during this recording - Geddy was lovin it !!!!!.. in my top 5 Rush albums ..8/10...

Everyday Glory and Available Light are emerging rapidly as contenders for my top five, alongside Red Barchetta, Chain Lightning and Bastille Day.
  • Like 3