Hold Your Fire - Time Stand Still

Presto - War Paint

• Like 1

Permanent Waves- Everything

Moving Pictures- Perhaps the best side 1 ever put to vinyl

Signals - Absoultely every singe goshdern second

P/G- Between the Wheels is the greatest epic song under 6 minutes

Power Windows- Sublime

Hold Your Fire- Perhaps the most stylistically dated while being the most stylistically diverse of all

Presto- Very good songs, succinct, built for mass consumption.

Permanent Waves - Natural Science

Moving Pictures - The Camera Eye

Exit... Stage Left - Jacob's Ladder

Signals - The Weapon

Grace Under Pressure - The Body Electric

Power Windows - Marathon

Hold Your Fire - Turn The Page

A Show Of Hands - Mission

Presto - Show Don't Tell

• Like 1

PeW: the whole damn album

MP: the whole damn album

Signals: Everything but Chemistry

Grace Under Pressure: the whole damn album, one of my absolute favorites

Power Windows: Marathon :haz:

Hold Your Fire: Lock And Key

Presto: the CD makes an excellent drink coaster.

• Like 1

Permanent Waves - Rush in full ripping glory

Moving Pictures - Perfect record

Exit... Stage Left - Love it, it features the best version of several tunes

Signals - My favorite, the thickest mix! Too thick? Nope

Grace Under Pressure - Thick, love the mix and dark minor tone

Power Windows - Amazing production. It sparkles

Hold Your Fire - Sister album to Power Windows in many ways, weak spots but overall very strong

A Show Of Hands - Their peak playing wise. The video is my go to, Geddy multitasks so effortlessly

Presto - Great production, poppy, tight and crisp

• Like 1

PeW-Alex showed every guitar player up with the opening riff to The Spirit of Radio .

MP - Yyz

Signals -My first Rush album as a fan , and just like the first two only a few " meh" moments . Analog Kid kicks ass ! Subdivisions is so good,

GuP - Hmmm....yes.......not too crazy about red lenses ......Between the Wheels ......Helll YES!!!!! Alex can still jam.But I am having trouble figuring out the songs.

Power Windows ...At the time it was released I hated it . Now its one of my favorites. As a student of Alex' playing I could always get some kind of handle on his riffs . But as they became a more keyboard oriented band his riffs became more chordal and I couldn't figure them out as self taught player . I started waning as a fan. I should of went back to taking lessons lol.

HYF Didn't buy it By this time I was totally lost . I have it now only because of a few songs .

Presto -Didn't buy it at the time . Another regret but at the time I was in a different place . I was still a fan of older material but the new stuff I didn't get. I should of stuck with them because I would of been a better at what I was trying to accomplish.

Edited by patjnev

Permanent Waves-Rush really Started opening up to something new......shedding being strictly a prog band. and it is thrilling.

Moving Pictures-As over done as it is. still a masterpiece. They also start pushing the pop leanings with a song like Limelight.

Signals-The synths are brought forward. creating a really cool sound, IMO. Plus we have Losing it.

Grace Under Pressure-Ummmmm......I Ike the Cover.

Power Windows- The synths are off the wall here. but i like it. There's just a crackly energy here that is unique to this album. And Middletown Dreams rocks.

Hold your fire-The perfect synth pop Rush album, IMO the first 8 is some of the finest Rush music there is. Prime mover may be my fav Rush song of the 80's

Presto-Highly Melodic. Very Underrated. And i truly believe some of Neil's best most interesting drum work.

Mick

• Like 3

This entire thread was invalidated by the inclusion of a 70s album and anyone who contributes their list is complicit in this abomination.
  • Like 8

This entire thread was invalidated by the inclusion of a 70s album and anyone who contributes their list is complicit in this abomination.

annnd.......mark.

lol. we knew it was coming.

Mick

Some atrocities should not be allowed to stand.

• Like 2

Favorite Things

Permanent Waves - The Whole Album "Its Rush"

Moving Pictures - Limelight "Its Rush"

Exit Stage Left - Xanadu/Trees "Its Rush"

Signals - Countdown "Its Rush"

Grace Under Pressure - Enemy within "Its Rush"

Power Windows - Manhattan Project "Its Rush"

Hold Your Fire - Lock And Key "Its Rush"

Show Of Hands - Mission "Its Rush"

Presto - Red Tide "Its Rush"

I like/love all the 80's albums.

PeW: fantastic album with more experimentation into pop-y songs but still proggy on songs like JL and NatSci

Moving Pictures: another fantastic album from start to finish including some of Rush's biggest hits. The Camera Eye is a masterpiece.

Signals: delving deeper into synths creating a deep and more powerful sound. Great songs, great album.

Grace Under Pressure: more synths than Signals but some of Mr Lifeson's best guitar work. Great production and great songs (except maybe Red Lenses)

Power Windows: all great songs, great sound, and some of Geddy's finest bass work. Energetic and exciting album.

Hold Your Fire: the pinnacle of synth Rush. Almost perfect with Tai Shan being the exception. Love the drum set Neil used for this one too. Great song writing and synth melodies.

Presto: back to a more rocky sound. This album blasts out of the speakers with energy and also includes some unique song-writing. Very good job by all three guys. Only complaint is the tinny production which could use some more balls.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst

Permanent Waves - ------

Moving Pictures - Camera Eye

Exit Stage Left - Jacobs ladder ......

Signals - The Weapon

Grace Under Pressure - Red Sector A

Power Windows - ------

Hold Your Fire - Time stand still

Show Of Hands - ------

Presto - --------

Permanent Waves killer songwriting & a really good vibe on this album. Roll the bones.........6

Moving Picture more killer songwriting and a strong feeling of perfection achieved. Roll the bones.........6

Signals love the emotional feeling i get from this album. It sounds great too. Roll The Bones.........6

Grace Under Pressure this album sounds just great, urgent & lots of atmosphere, as with Signals, smoking solos from Big Al. Roll the bones.........6

Power Windows love everything about this album, the songwriting, the spacious production and the overall soundscape. Roll the bones.........6

Hold Your Fire not as good as PW, but still a great Rush album with some really strong songwriting. Roll the bones.........5

Presto a lot of atmosphere, autumn/winter feeling & I really like the production as well, my japan min lp cd sounds great. Roll the bones.........5

Edited by Na na na

Favorite songs:

Permanent Waves - Entré Nous

Moving Pictures - Camera Eye

Exit Stage Left - Xanadu

Signals - The Weapon

Grace Under Pressure - Every Track

Power Windows - Manhattan Project

Hold Your Fire - Lock And Key

Show Of Hands - Mission

Presto - Chain Lightning

Xanadu?? An 80's Rush song??? The live version was record for an album released in the 80's but the song is definitely a 70's song. So you have me a little puzzled there. No problem with PW's as a 80's album (although it was recorded in 1979) since the songs "fit" better with the rest of the 80's material than with the 70's material.

BTW - welcome to The Rush Forum.

Why does everybody keep saying PW is a 70's album? If it was released in the 80's it's an 80's album in my book.

It was recorded in the 1970s and the first song releases from the album were made in the 70s. How could people hear a 1980s album in the 1970s?

• Like 3

Why does everybody keep saying PW is a 70's album? If it was released in the 80's it's an 80's album in my book.

It was recorded in the 1970s and the first song releases from the album were made in the 70s. How could people hear a 1980s album in the 1970s?

Maybe you know more than me, but it says at WIKI that all the singles were released in 1980. They didn't start writing the record until July 79. Came out Jan. 80. That is an 80's record. Even style says 80's to me. After all the weirdness that was their 70's catalog, suddenly this one screamed "airplay" and mainstream. By Rush standards at least.

https://en.wikipedia...Permanent_Waves

http://www.discogs.com/Rush-Spirit-Of-Radio/release/584714

Edited by presto123