Unpopular opinion - The original VT is better than the remix

DadRockGirl

The original is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. The remix stinks. Sounds like drum machine. Terrible.

The remix of Peaceable Kingdom is maybe the worst of it all. Freeze suffered pretty bad. Ceiling Unlimited as well.

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

I would rather freeze to death on the top of Mount Everest than listen to that tripe.

"Vapor Trails" is the "St. Anger" of Rush albums. it's absolutely one of the worst albums on the planet. Every great band writes a stinker. "The way out is the way in?" Vapor Trails should be the soundtrack to "The Human Centipede."

This is depressing. I can't believe Freeze gets so much hate, it's possibly my favourite song off Vapor Trails!.

Once you get used to his never ending threads about terrible bands like Steel Panther you learn to ignore these rants.

While I have everyone's attention, I just want to share my awesome Rush jacket and t-shirt with you all :haz: :rush: 11990671_1176257835723468_6454620248851817799_n.jpg?oh=ba81a8045f45f6582b3b9cfd9192f284&oe=56659B4A Edited by DadRockGirl
  • Like 4

^ Great shirt underneath the jacket, too- I haven't seen that in more than 20 years.

Roll the Bones wasn't their very best record, but I enjoy it very much- more than most here, I think. And I saw two or three shows on the tour supporting it.

• Like 2

Oh, and some of Geddy's vocals just sound pretty poor on the remix tbh AND I don't like the way the main vocal is really at the front of the mix in the "something stirs behind me" part of Freeze for example...I hope that made at least a bit of sense!

So true! I really, really am glad at long last more enthusiastic VT fans are coming out the woodwork. I was getting so bored of defending it! And I am sick of every time someone does praise it they have to immediately say "but CA is better!". I mean, come one! Each and every modern Rush album can stand on its own, for good or bad, without being compared to Ticktock Borefest.

Trying hard not to be offended over here, Segue... ;)

All right, though, you've both convinced me that VT will be the next Rush album I put on. I shall report back with my findings...again.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Oh, and some of Geddy's vocals just sound pretty poor on the remix tbh AND I don't like the way the main vocal is really at the front of the mix in the "something stirs behind me" part of Freeze for example...I hope that made at least a bit of sense!

So true! I really, really am glad at long last more enthusiastic VT fans are coming out the woodwork. I was getting so bored of defending it! And I am sick of every time someone does praise it they have to immediately say "but CA is better!". I mean, come one! Each and every modern Rush album can stand on its own, for good or bad, without being compared to Ticktock Borefest.

Trying hard not to be offended over here, Segue... ;)

All right, though, you've both convinced me that VT will be the next Rush album I put on. I shall report back with my findings...again.

You don't have to be a fan of CA to be a part of the CA crowd. I am talking about those annoying ones who, in a thread about PRESTO, would be like " er but CA is just so amazing and exciting and fresh and jammy and its all just the best thing ever", and all that persons friends gather to obsess.

And then as soon as someone diverts attention away from the CA loving they band together to be prissy and annoying as if somehow only the elite understand how amazing butt kissing is 24/7.

• Like 1

The original is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. The remix stinks. Sounds like drum machine. Terrible.

The remix of Peaceable Kingdom is maybe the worst of it all. Freeze suffered pretty bad. Ceiling Unlimited as well.

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

I would rather freeze to death on the top of Mount Everest than listen to that tripe.

"Vapor Trails" is the "St. Anger" of Rush albums. it's absolutely one of the worst albums on the planet. Every great band writes a stinker. "The way out is the way in?" Vapor Trails should be the soundtrack to "The Human Centipede."

Somewhere in Heaven, angels weep.

Hahaha! "COCKWORK ANGELS!" Them mouths and wings are working overtime.....................

I CANT STOP THINKING "DICK"?

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

This is depressing. I can't believe Freeze gets so much hate, it's possibly my favourite song off Vapor Trails!.

Once you get used to his never ending threads about terrible bands like Steel Panther you learn to ignore these rants.

earl is one of the only rush fans in the entire world with a sense of humor

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get the official remaster by Andy VanDette of the original mix. It is by far the best of all versions. The remix has some positives but overall it feels neutered.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

• Like 2

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

earl is one of the only rush fans in the entire world with a sense of humor

Earl knows I love him. We have a love/hate banter going on

• Like 1

PIECEOFSHITABLE KINGDOM

FREEZE?

I love that line "the way out is the way in" but mostly because I like the way Geddy's voice sounds during singing it.

I was lucky enough to get the official remaster by Andy VanDette of the original mix. It is by far the best of all versions. The remix has some positives but overall it feels neutered.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

really like the car test, "try to find positive in the negative" thing you describe here. All Rush music deserves such a test.

One thing I wanted to comment on- and this doesn't have anything to do with the remix versus the original...but I just listened to VT all the way through yesterday, for the first time in awhile, and I noted it's almost completely devoid of guitar solos. I think I remember reading an interview with Alex shortly after the album came out, and he said that was pretty much intentional.
  • Like 1

One thing I wanted to comment on- and this doesn't have anything to do with the remix versus the original...but I just listened to VT all the way through yesterday, for the first time in awhile, and I noted it's almost completely devoid of guitar solos. I think I remember reading an interview with Alex shortly after the album came out, and he said that was pretty much intentional.

That is and always has been my biggest beef with VT. One of the most essential ingredients of Rush is missing for me. I seem to recall Alex saying at the time that he decided not to do solos because he was still kinda getting his chops back. I was really hoping that with the reissue, he might go in and add some lead playing to the songs, but he didn't. If you listen to what he added to Earthshine on the R30 dvd, it makes it a way better song than what's on the album.

That is and always has been my biggest beef with VT. One of the most essential ingredients of Rush is missing for me. I seem to recall Alex saying at the time that he decided not to do solos because he was still kinda getting his chops back. I was really hoping that with the reissue, he might go in and add some lead playing to the songs, but he didn't. If you listen to what he added to Earthshine on the R30 dvd, it makes it a way better song than what's on the album.

As I recall, they had this idea to flip roles, with Geddy's bass taking on the role of lead guitar and Alex's guitar parts phrased as bass lines. The result is often needless overplaying by Geddy, and a feeling of emptiness where a strong guitar phrase or solo might fit. I still love the songs, though.

Vapor Trails is an easy record to hate, and unlike the ridiculous CA crowd, I appreciate and understand why it is so hated by many. But the reasons so many hate the album, especially in its original form, are exactly why I love it so very much.

You've come a long way from your earlier opinions that you "absolutely adore CA" and that Vapor Trails "sucks big time" and "sucks bumholes," which are statements you made in the Clockwork Angels Revisited thread.

• Like 1

This thread has got me listening to the Remix. The time is now again, and I'm McLovin it!

As far as Al's soloing (and lack thereof), here's a cut and paste of an article on that topic:

“Vapor Trails was really the first album where I really limited the soloing,” admits the guitarist. “At the time, I truly didn’t want to bring the attention to that point in a song where the guitar takes over and it becomes about the solo.

“I might have been wrong about it, but the way I was feeling, at the time, was that we were coming back from this very dark period and I wanted a sense of unity where no one was showing off or standing out. I wanted it to really be about the three of us. I kind of manifested that whole attitude by not standing out and soloing.”

• Like 2

As I recall, they had this idea to flip roles, with Geddy's bass taking on the role of lead guitar and Alex's guitar parts phrased as bass lines. The result is often needless overplaying by Geddy, and a feeling of emptiness where a strong guitar phrase or solo might fit. I still love the songs, though.

Needless overplaying by Geddy? I know it's most unusual to come before you so, but I can't believe you're saying.. this thing just can't be true!

• Like 1

Even if the original VT has a more organic sound, it is completely ruined by the brickwalling and clipping. It just sounds completely flat, muddy, noisy... gives me a headache. So for me it's the remix any day, because I care about my ears and I want to be able to differentiate between the instruments and hear details.

Personally I can't stand either of them. The remix is still has too much sonic overlap and that bass drum sounds like someone punching a speed bag at the gym.
  • Like 1

As far as Al's soloing (and lack thereof), here's a cut and paste of an article on that topic:

“Vapor Trails was really the first album where I really limited the soloing,” admits the guitarist. “At the time, I truly didn’t want to bring the attention to that point in a song where the guitar takes over and it becomes about the solo.

“I might have been wrong about it, but the way I was feeling, at the time, was that we were coming back from this very dark period and I wanted a sense of unity where no one was showing off or standing out. I wanted it to really be about the three of us. I kind of manifested that whole attitude by not standing out and soloing.”

Yes! I believe this is the exact quote that I was thinking of. I thought it had something to do with deferring to the group as a three-headed unit, rather than drawing specific attention to anyone particular member (namely, himself). It was their first time in the studio together in more than five years, after all...and they had never had that long of a break before.

• Like 1

Even if the original VT has a more organic sound, it is completely ruined by the brickwalling and clipping. It just sounds completely flat, muddy, noisy... gives me a headache. So for me it's the remix any day, because I care about my ears and I want to be able to differentiate between the instruments and hear details.

I agree! The original is fatiguing to listen to. It's curious how some folks think the 2002 "volume wars" version is superior. Could just be rooted in nostalgia, but each to their own. :-)

I do admit the Remix version has a few subtle (and a couple not so subtle) changes to the original versions of the songs, and I'm not a fan of them all (although the OLV solo kicks ass). That's probably my own nostalgia since those were the definitive versions of those songs for 11 years. If I could only have one version of VT though, it would clearly be the Remix because Botrill made the thing sound so much better.