Windows 10?

tas7

Have it installed on all three of my computers, I love it. The biggest improvement, however, was getting McAfee the hell of all my systems. It has to be the worst designed virus protection ever. It is a frickin hog. It was sucking up twice the sources of any other program including my Synchost.exe files

Yeah I am not particularly a fan of McAfee either but there it is all the time....

I put up with it as well, can't stand it now.

George Orwell wasn't far wrong, was he?

As long as anyone owns a smart phone your privacy is over.

One of the reasons I'm in no hurry to get rid of this (besides the low cost):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/w385_zpsnqlm0zsq.jpg

Sometimes, using a dumb phone is smart.

• Like 3

George Orwell wasn't far wrong, was he?

As long as anyone owns a smart phone your privacy is over.

One of the reasons I'm in no hurry to get rid of this (besides the low cost):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/w385_zpsnqlm0zsq.jpg

Sometimes, using a dumb phone is smart.

I have a similar vintage Nokia. A year ago people would grin at me using it. Now they say, it's a nice size, what is it? I love to tell them how cheap it is.

Is it just me or is this site moving really slowly and kicking anybody else off alot lately with that 404 thingy? It's doing it to me again today but doesn't seem to be doing it on my phone. Makes me think it's just my laptop but other sites aren't doing it. Confused and really annoyed... Edited by Narps

Is it just me or is this site moving really slowly and kicking anybody else off alot lately with that 404 thingy? It's doing it to me again today but doesn't seem to be doing it on my phone. Makes me think it's just my laptop but other sites aren't doing it. Confused and really annoyed...

You're not the only one. It's a put-off for this site but I try and give it another go. Also some posts mysteriously get deleted, not sure what to make of it.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is this site moving really slowly and kicking anybody else off alot lately with that 404 thingy? It's doing it to me again today but doesn't seem to be doing it on my phone. Makes me think it's just my laptop but other sites aren't doing it. Confused and really annoyed...

You're not the only one. It's a put-off for this site but I try and give it another go. Also some posts mysteriously get deleted, not sure what to make of it.

Oh you are having a problem too with posts disappearing that you know 100% that you made? I started a thread about it yesterday as it happened to me twice a couple days ago. It had never happened before even with all the posts I have made... :)
  • Like 1

Oh you are having a problem too with posts disappearing that you know 100% that you made? I started a thread about it yesterday as it happened to me twice a couple days ago. It had never happened before even with all the posts I have made... :)

United we stand then! I'm sure 1001001 is looking into it as we type! :popcorn:

Just saw your thread. Good one. Hopefully will be sorted soon.

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

I have to leave off my Work PC, because of applications that are not Windows 10 friendly or approved yet.

Think I will put on personal Laptop and desktop today...I'll let you know how angry I get

United we stand then! I'm sure 1001001 is looking into it as we type! :popcorn:

Just saw your thread. Good one. Hopefully will be sorted soon.

There's a thread going about this issue.

Microsoft is not as bad as the products they make. The 360 is the best gaming system ever. Perhaps the One will get there but the menu system across all Windows/MS products is horrible.

My girlfriend saw "Free" so she upgraded to 10. She regretted it immediately. Of course she called me so I said I would take a look at it. 10 at least seems better than 8. When I dove into the settings all of the info collecting was quite disconcerting. Windows has been a kloogefest since Vista but 7 was at least useable. XP was good which is why it lasted so long but even still it was clunky as f u c k because it's Windows. Luckily, also in the settings there was an ability to revert to 7 within a month of upgrading to 10. Even Microsoft knows it sucks. Why else would they include such a "feature"? I asked my girlfriend if that's what she wanted and of course she said yes. She was so happy to get her machine back the way it had been. Of course there was a survey with the reversion so my response on behalf of the gf was "Windows 10 jacked up my machine" which made her laugh.

Yesterday my dad brought his laptop by because he updated iTunes and it messed up his playlists. I told him not update anything and let me handle it. Working on that, which is a Win7 machine too, I was continually frustrated with Windows and at one point said to him "if you want a real machine spend the money and buy a Mac. Even a used one because Windows is garbage..."

I used to straddle both platforms coming from gaming and compatibility. I've built more than a few PCs but I finally pulled my XP machine out of my home office/control room because I couldn't remember the last time I booted it up. It used to be part of my workflow and delivery but major apps I use now all run in OSX and more smoothly.

My 360 got stolen in December so I now have a One which is ok but I miss my 360. At least they will include backwards compatibility on the One beginning in November so I will be able to play 360 titles on it. That's a no go for PS4 users.

So MS does gaming right but they've been trying to follow Apple by making their devices look similar in the menus but are so ham handed where functionality is concerned. Win10 reinforces this. OSX pretty much works, but since Jobs died Apple is not exactly above reproach either. I am staying an OS behind purposefully. Once the next one is announced I'll move to Yosemite.

So that's my windows 10 experience. :)

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I am reluctant to upgrade my 2 Windows 7 desktops. I use one of them to run virtual machines on and depend on it to work right. My main desktop is used to do all my photo processing on and having them down for any reason for any length of time would really hurt my business. I think I'll wait for a while. I also use a Mac desktop but it is mainly for "personal" use than business.

The people I know have had more problems with Mac computers than Windows.

I am mainly a Windows guy. I built both of my PCs' and they both have run from day 1 without any problems at all. But, I really love Mac. It boots in about 10 seconds and is very fast. I've never had any problems with it. What sold me on it was how well it integrates with my phone and iPad. I know a few other photographers that will only use a Mac but it is just hard for me to do any "real work" on it because my PCs' are just so capable.

• Like 1

I like my games and control of my system's innards. I will never own a Mac. Windows or Linux for me. Built my Windows machine last summer. Next summer I think I'll save my money towards building a Linux machine for programming.

I'm liking Windows 10. Once you figure out how to disable the "collecting of information" bullshit, it's great.

• Like 1

I was a hardcore PC gamer for a long time myself and have worked in games for almost two decades. I have hand built all of my PCs but gaming has moved more to console and now mobile. All my developer apps have moved to dual platform for at least 7 years so there is no more need for two machines for me to work. Being a tinkerer I still dig into the innards of all my Mac desktops plus many PC games get made for Mac now as well. All of the developers I've worked with in the past 5 years have been pretty much Mac only. I am pondering doing a CPU upgrade on my main Mac to prolong its life.

I've used Windows since 3.1 and have always fought it's clunky and clumsy nature. It is very stiff where working in OSX is smooth and elegant. Agreed about how Apple devices integrate, it is seamless and intuitive. I can start something on one device and continue on others. Windows has been wanting to be Mac since its inception. No two ways about it, that's how MS started. XP was the the best version of Windows but every version since has been failed experiments. It has become frustrating for me to use. I even managed to persuade one post production house to move to Macs exclusively after they used them briefly on one project, it was so much more efficient for them to work.

Some guys I've worked with have built Hackintosh machines because hardware is virtually identical, but it's not for the faint hearted or inexperienced tech. Lots of gotchas. But they do work. Hard to upgrade/update though.

I am reluctant to upgrade my 2 Windows 7 desktops. I use one of them to run virtual machines on and depend on it to work right. My main desktop is used to do all my photo processing on and having them down for any reason for any length of time would really hurt my business. I think I'll wait for a while. I also use a Mac desktop but it is mainly for "personal" use than business.

I managed the upgrade smoothly without any problems :) . I also use my computer for processing photos and as long as you can find a couple of hours to do the update you should be alright :) . It kept all my Lightroom library and settings. I just had to disable stuff like the lock screen which I found annoying but aside from that I really like it.

I managed the upgrade smoothly without any problems :) . I also use my computer for processing photos and as long as you can find a couple of hours to do the update you should be alright :) . It kept all my Lightroom library and settings. I just had to disable stuff like the lock screen which I found annoying but aside from that I really like it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not as worried about my "main" computer as I am about the one I'm running VMs' on. If I lost the VM ability on that box, I would be in trouble.

We just put it on our computer & now we can't use our Internet at all...but then I'm tech challenged...I sense a geek squad computer rescue call is in our near future... : /

We just put it on our computer & now we can't use our Internet at all...but then I'm tech challenged...I sense a geek squad computer rescue call is in our near future... : /

That's when it's awesome to have a high school or college child around to save the day. My son just went off to get his Masters at Clemson but boy it was great when he was around and computer, phone or any tech issues arose. Dang he could do anything and fix anything. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be here at all honestly...

That's when it's awesome to have a high school or college child around to save the day. My son just went off to get his Masters at Clemson but boy it was great when he was around and computer, phone or any tech issues arose. Dang he could do anything and fix anything. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be here at all honestly...

I knew you'd understand : )
  • Like 1

If you're going to just upgrade and keep all your files and applications installed, you're gonna have a bad time...

I've found the key to a successful W10 upgrade is to install clean immediately after upgrading from 7/8.1.

So far for me, the experience has been fantastic. It's got the speed of 8.1, the stability of 7, and the best of both user interfaces. I'm running 10 on my PC, tablet, and phone. All working great.