New Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls

I need to get outta The Boss and marathon Iron Maiden again...I miss the metal fire!

I need to get outta The Boss and marathon Iron Maiden again...I miss the metal fire!

It was interesting when I recently started listening to them again- starting with the classic '80s albums that made me become a fan of theirs back then, but hadn't listened to for more than 20 years, literally. It all just hit me- wave after wave of :haz: :haz: :haz:

And then I started picking up the 21st century albums- I agree with you- equal to their young and hungry years. They seem to have lost absolutely nothing!

• Like 3

It was interesting when I recently started listening to them again- starting with the classic '80s albums that made me become a fan of theirs back then, but hadn't listened to for more than 20 years, literally. It all just hit me- wave after wave of :haz: :haz: :haz:

And then I started picking up the 21st century albums- I agree with you- equal to their young and hungry years. They seem to have lost absolutely nothing!

I am glad you agree, because I was sure it was true!

The modern stuff just blows my mind. The eighties had a lot of commercial material, which was great because it worked for them without selling out.

Come the 21st century, they have nothing to prove so they just experiment and do what they want. And its marvellous! Life And Death may just become my favourite IM album in time.

• Like 4

Still hold the classic years in much higher esteem, but I'll take what they give us, at least they are consistent and not just phoning it in, which they are more than obliged to do. They still have three extremely creative composers in Bruce, H and 'arry.
  • Like 2

I love 21st Maiden.

Brave New World was actually my first Maiden album. It came out while I was in High School, and it was exactly what I was looking for at the time. Then I went back and collected the early years.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued about the 18 min track written by Bruce.

Maiden rarely disappoint so this should be another great release.

• Like 2

I love 21st Maiden.

Brave New World was actually my first Maiden album. It came out while I was in High School, and it was exactly what I was looking for at the time. Then I went back and collected the early years.

The album of theirs that came out when I was in high school was Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

:codger:

Actually, I believe the first Maiden album I ever bought was Live After Death. Then I went and got all the studio albums after that (including Somewhere in Time, which had already been released, at that point).

I didn't buy Fear of the Dark when it came out, because at the time everyone said it was so inferior to the things that came before it. (I've still never owned it). And after sometime in the early/mid '90s, I didn't listen to them at all anymore, until earlier this year. Picked up Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death...still haven't got Dance of Death or The Final Frontier. But anyway...they haven't lost a step.

And I'm really looking forward to this new (and possibly final?) album!

• Like 2

I know Fear of the Dark's not a great album, but I like it for nostalgic reasons. It was one of the first albums I ever got and started my love for Maiden. I was 9 and picked it out solely because of the cover. :D :haz:
  • Like 2

I know Fear of the Dark's not a great album, but I like it for nostalgic reasons. It was one of the first albums I ever got and started my love for Maiden. I was 9 and picked it out solely because of the cover. :D :haz:

There are a few of the lesser known tracks that I enjoy a lot, like Judas Be My Guide, Chains of Misery, Fear is the Key. ....I say lesser know, because these are tracks that the band never played live....but I find them quite hooky.

On the other hand, the title track, which I quite liked at first, has just become so over-played live that I'm fed up with it.

• Like 1

I love 21st Maiden.

The album of theirs that came out when I was in high school was Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Actually, I believe the first Maiden album I ever bought was Live After Death. Then I went and got all the studio albums after that (including Somewhere in Time, which had already been released, at that point).

I didn't buy Fear of the Dark when it came out, because at the time everyone said it was so inferior to the things that came before it. (I've still never owned it). And after sometime in the early/mid '90s, I didn't listen to them at all anymore, until earlier this year. Picked up Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death...still haven't got Dance of Death or The Final Frontier. But anyway...they haven't lost a step.

Yup, me too. I absorbed all of it after that. FOTD sucks but I am a sucker for No Prayer. Seriously I've tried listening to it tons of times, but aside from the title track and Be Quick or Be Dead it just sucks.

I just saw this news. I am excited to hear a new Maiden album, and I'm hoping for the best, songwriting-wise. Some of their latter albums have too many lyrics which are just one verse sun over and over again. That 18 minute song intrigues me! My favourite Maiden song is Rime of the Ancient Mariner, so I've got high hopes for that!
  • Like 3

I love 21st Maiden.

Yup, me too. I absorbed all of it after that. FOTD sucks but I am a sucker for No Prayer. Seriously I've tried listening to it tons of times, but aside from the title track and Be Quick or Be Dead it just sucks.

Apart from maybe 5 songs, NPFTD-Virtual XI was filled with garbage. Maiden without the musical genius of Adrian Smith is just bad. Adrian was smart to leave when he saw the direction the band was going on NPFTD.

Brave New World is easily a top 3 album.

I love 21st Maiden.

Apart from maybe 5 songs, NPFTD-Virtual XI was filled with garbage. Maiden without the musical genius of Adrian Smith is just bad. Adrian was smart to leave when he saw the direction the band was going on NPFTD.

No Prayer For the Dying is a fine Maiden album filled with metal goodness! :haz:

It's a beast of an album, now go and say 10 Hail Maidens and 10 Armadas as penance for saying these dastardyl things :madra:

• Like 2

I love 21st Maiden.

No Prayer For the Dying is a fine Maiden album filled with metal goodness! :haz:

It's a beast of an album, now go and say 10 Hail Maidens and 10 Armadas as penance for saying these dastardyl things :madra:

Yeah, I love me some No Prayer... It's a really good album. It might not reach the heights of the previous 7, or the last 4, but I still enjoy giving it a spin. And it's certainly better than what was about to come.

I don't know what was going on with Dickinson's oddly gruff voice, but I thought it really suited the material

• Like 2

I love 21st Maiden.

Yeah, I love me some No Prayer... It's a really good album. It might not reach the heights of the previous 7, or the last 4, but I still enjoy giving it a spin. And it's certainly better than what was about to come.

I don't know what was going on with Dickinson's oddly gruff voice, but I thought it really suited the material

Yeah I don't understand the complaints about this album, especially in retrospect. I think it's just one of those albums like Priest's Turbo that "self respecting fans" have to hate because everyone else seems to.

• Like 2

No Prayer is a very good straight forward metal album. I understand why people were let down by it after the five albums that came before it but Maiden did a really good job of going back to a more simpler metal sound on it.
  • Like 1

I got into Maiden when Powerslave was released. I loved No Prayer when it came out, but that's when it started to sound samey, even though they took a different approach in it than the previous albums. Bruce's voice is more aggressive in it, matching the songwriting style at the time. The tour was great, but then Harris wanted full control. Fear of the Dark for me is full of cool songs that should have been played live, but it has its share of crappy ones too. The Apparition, Weekend Warriors etc. don't belong AT ALL in Maiden's portfolio, and would be Ok as b-sides.
  • Like 1

I need to dig No Prayer out and listen to it. I've never dug it that much, but you guys are making me want to give it another chance.

It's a metal festival all in one album but without the mud and plastic bottle fights!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

I always thought Run Silent Run Deep was a very underrated song. My favorite off that album.

Me too! But Bruce said in an interview that he think it's the worst Maiden song. I beg to differ...