New Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls

Ok, had a listen pretty good song (7/10 for me). I love the singing and the riffing and singing. I could do without Dave's solo and melody guitars on the bridge sections. Another thing that is excellent is cowbell...

I think H's solo is first then Janick, I actually like it, then the harmony playing is H and Dave.

Solos are Dave->H->harmonies 100% sure ;)

Definitely Dave then Adrian, then Adrian playing the lead harmony on top of the other two.

Very easy to tell the difference.

Dave's very fluid, more Gilmourish, uses more of the neck pickup in his solos.

Adrian's more spacey and composed, full on bridge humbuckers, often uses reverb or the wah. Very biting, high treble tone. My favorite of the three.

Janick's very raw and improv, has a lot of grit. I can hear a lot of Ritchie Blackmore in his playing.

Edited by BowlCity

Ok, had a listen pretty good song (7/10 for me). I love the singing and the riffing and singing. I could do without Dave's solo and melody guitars on the bridge sections. Another thing that is excellent is cowbell...

I think H's solo is first then Janick, I actually like it, then the harmony playing is H and Dave.

Definitely Dave then Adrian, then Adrian playing the lead harmony on top of the other two.

Adrian's more spacey and composed, full on bridge humbuckers, often uses reverb or the wah. Very biting, high treble tone. My favorite of the three.

Janick's very raw and improv, has a lot of grit. I can hear a lot of Ritchie Blackmore in his playing.

No you guys are both wrong. H has the first solo since he wrote the song fhats the way they handle things. The second solo is Jan his staccato picking style is obvious.

No you guys are both wrong. H has the first solo since he wrote the song fhats the way they handle things. The second solo is Jan his staccato picking style is obvious.

Dead wrong, friend. It's Dave then Adrian. I am 100% positive. When you see a live video you'll get it.

Stack both of those solos against any of Dave and Adrian's solos and hear the similarities.

Whoever wrote the song gets the first solo? :eh: No...2MTM was written by Bruce/Adrian, and Dave has the first one.

Edited by BowlCity

Dead wrong, friend. It's Dave then Adrian. I am 100% positive. When you see a live video you'll get it.

Stack both of those solos against any of Dave and Adrian's solos and hear the similarities.

Whoever wrote the song gets the first solo? :eh: No...2MTM was written by Bruce/Adrian, and Dave has the first one.

AS: If I write a song I’ll usually play the solo in it and then Davey or Jan will do the other solo - usually Davey - and then again if Jan writes a song Davey will play the solo - so Davey gets to play everything [LAUGHS]. But Dave has the signature guitar sound; you hear Dave play and you know it’s Maiden straight away, don’t you? It’s a very distinctive tone - but we’re great friends so we just work it out. There is nothing above healthy competition. I know if Dave goes in and does a solo in two takes then I’ll be trying to do the same thing; it pushes you to do your best.

http://thequietus.com/articles/18529-iron-maiden-interview

Gorgeous, playful and impassioned, with bags of personality and emotional resonance, the Smith/Murray leads bursting from Speed Of Light between 2:49 and 3:30 have paradoxically simultaneous vibes of one-take spontaneity and nailed-in precision. The axemen pull off dozens of cheeky little tricks and beautiful flurries of notes, cramming a lot of action into a relatively small 40-second space and leaving you wanting more, even after you've rewound the solos six or seven times.

https://www.teamrock.com/features/2015-08-14/the-15-best-things-about-iron-maiden-s-speed-of-light

I was wrong it is Dave not Jan.

Anybody up for Ranking Dickinson albums?

1. Somewhere In Time

2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

3. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

5. The Number of the Beast

6. The Final Frontier

7. A Matter of Life and Death

8. Piece of Mind

9. Dance of Death

10. Fear of the Dark

11. No Prayer for the Dying

TNOTB in fifth place???????????????????????????¿

I'm more concerned with POM being in 8th place.

I thought those two albums had more filler than the ones' before them. Piece of Mind is the only 80's record that didn't do much for me. The others are phenomenal and are all in the top 5.

The only songs on POM that are filler would be Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel. Everything else on it is great. Powerslave is king of fillers when it comes to their 80s albums with Bruce. The first two and last two songs are as good as anything Maiden has ever done. Everything else on that album is average sounding metal songs that any metal band back in 1984 could have done.

Flash Of The Blade is the best among the PS filler.

"Flash Of The Blade" RULES!!!!!!

powerslave's the best metal album ever. there's no filler on any 80s maiden album

people go after songs like back in the village and quest for fire but those songs beat anything on any 90s maiden album. and yes, I'm including the studio version of fear of the dark.

• Like 2

1. Somewhere In Time

3. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

6. The Final Frontier

8. Piece of Mind

9. Dance of Death

10. Fear of the Dark

I thought those two albums had more filler than the ones' before them. Piece of Mind is the only 80's record that didn't do much for me. The others are phenomenal and are all in the top 5.

The only songs on POM that are filler would be Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel. Everything else on it is great. Powerslave is king of fillers when it comes to their 80s albums with Bruce. The first two and last two songs are as good as anything Maiden has ever done. Everything else on that album is average sounding metal songs that any metal band back in 1984 could have done.

powerslave's the best metal album ever. there's no filler on any 80s maiden album

people go after songs like back in the village and quest for fire but those songs beat anything on any 90s maiden album. and yes, I'm including the studio version of fear of the dark.

The studio version of Fear Of The Dark is garbage. That song needs a crowd singing along to make it good.

1. Somewhere In Time

3. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

6. The Final Frontier

8. Piece of Mind

9. Dance of Death

10. Fear of the Dark

The studio version of Fear Of The Dark is garbage. That song needs a crowd singing along to make it good.

I like the song but I really don't get why it's played at every single show. it's killer in a live setting, but I would've traded fear of the dark for hallowed be thy name (or a deep cut like caught somewhere in time) when I saw the maiden england shows. and what was up with afraid to shoot strangers on that set?

I'm sure J2112YYZ has about nine paragraphs ready to go to explain why I'm wrong, but that's metalheads for ya. :haz:

Edited by bathory

one thing I am looking forward to - hopefully the book of souls tour will have some brave new world and AMOLAD material since they toured on the classics for a couple of years

So much this. Unless they're playing material from Somewhere In Time I'm sick of the same stuff from the 80's. Need deep proggy cuts!

• Like 2

one thing I am looking forward to - hopefully the book of souls tour will have some brave new world and AMOLAD material since they toured on the classics for a couple of years

So much this. Unless they're playing material from Somewhere In Time I'm sick of the same stuff from the 80's. Need deep proggy cuts!

they threw us quite a few bones with the seventh son setlist and I appreciated all of them, but yeah, somewhere in time needs representation. even on the somewhere back in time tour (which I missed, sadly) they were only playing 2 songs off of it, right?

I want some stuff like to tame a land, caught somewhere in time, sea of madness, killers, maybe something never played before, and of course some brave new world stuff. seeing run to the hills and the number of the beast in a live setting is never anything to complain about, but maiden have shown that they can put on a killer show without playing their tom sawyers and limelights.

1. Somewhere In Time

3. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

6. The Final Frontier

8. Piece of Mind

9. Dance of Death

10. Fear of the Dark

I like the song but I really don't get why it's played at every single show. it's killer in a live setting, but I would've traded fear of the dark for hallowed be thy name (or a deep cut like caught somewhere in time) when I saw the maiden england shows. and what was up with afraid to shoot strangers on that set?

I'm sure J2112YYZ has about nine paragraphs ready to go to explain why I'm wrong, but that's metalheads for ya. :haz:

I think they play FOTD at every show because of the crowd participation. Still, they've given every other set staple a break at least once over the last ten years, so there's no reason why they couldn't give it a rest for one tour.

I read an interview with Rod Smallwood (the bands manager) during the last tour and he said CSIT will never be played again since they band thinks it sounds like shit live. The only reason they played in on the SIT tour is because they felt they had to.

Infinite Dreams was originally supposed to be played on the last tour but the band felt the set was so vocally demanding for Bruce that they replaced it with an easier song in ATSS. I don't agree with the choice but I get it. That is also one of the reasons Hallowed was dropped from the set as well and replaced by Running Free.

You will never get a never played before deep cut from Maiden. If they don't play a song when they tour for that particular album then the song never gets played live. They've been doing this for years, so I doubt it will change this tour.

Hopefully, this clears some things up for you :dweez:

Edited by J2112YYZ