Neil has new article up on his blog about first leg of tour-spoilers

blueschica

http://www.neilpeart...ckstage-byways/

Neil has a new article up on his website about preparing for the tour and actually going out on the first leg of it; through Bristow, VA. It is typical Neil writing- very detailed about the planning he has made for the motorcycle trip and the areas of the country he is passing through. I like his writing but always find I am most interested when he writes about his daughter, and there is a cute paragraph in the middle about Carrie and Olivia joining him for the New Orleans concert. The other surprise was that he has found that Wal-Mart parking lots are the best place for his bus to park while he, Michael, etc. all get some sleep! (shouldn't have been a surprise; a zillion Canadian snowbirds do this in my town on the way to/from Florida.)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

The other thing was he had a "bug" at Bristow...which could have been the reason for some flubs!

Hopefully those that subscribe to his blog realize that the spoiler thing is in place...(Neil doesn't follow the spoiler rules)

While no t technically a gifted writer (some parts,tellingly, somewhat cringewothy) he does get his point across which is important. I find most of his writing interesting when he ties his story into the songs and how they are inspired or constructed via his road tales.
  • Like 1

The other thing was he had a "bug" at Bristow...which could have been the reason for some flubs!

Hopefully those that subscribe to his blog realize that the spoiler thing is in place...(Neil doesn't follow the spoiler rules)

Yes, I was wondering about that- I made sure to put it in the spoiler forum here but it might be a surprise to people that get to it directly . . .

I think we know what happened with Neil at the Bristow show now!

Edit: Too late on the draw. I dig the pics of Nebraska and Oklahoma though.

Edited by 78jazz

It was a better than average blog post from Pratt, yes.

Telling in some ways, vague in others. The passage about his family in New Orleans was nice.

Written lines. In between. Read. :)

http://www.neilpeart...ckstage-byways/

Neil has a new article up on his website about preparing for the tour and actually going out on the first leg of it; through Bristow, VA. It is typical Neil writing- very detailed about the planning he has made for the motorcycle trip and the areas of the country he is passing through. I like his writing but always find I am most interested when he writes about his daughter, and there is a cute paragraph in the middle about Carrie and Olivia joining him for the New Orleans concert. The other surprise was that he has found that Wal-Mart parking lots are the best place for his bus to park while he, Michael, etc. all get some sleep! (shouldn't have been a surprise; a zillion Canadian snowbirds do this in my town on the way to/from Florida.)

Thanks for posting this. :)

He's mentioned the Walmart parking lots before in his books. I almost got run down by one of those trucks coming out of the Buffalo concert. They were sure in a hurry to get out of there, as was I!

• Like 1

Nice read, thanks for posting. I've visited that Biltmore place. It's quite interesting to see if you're ever in the area.

The story about his daughter watching the show and air drumming was hilariously cute. Maybe if she grows up to be a Rush fan, she can convince him to keep playing shows so she can watch. :)

• Like 4

Nice read, thanks for posting. I've visited that Biltmore place. It's quite interesting to see if you're ever in the area.

The story about his daughter watching the show and air drumming was hilariously cute. Maybe if she grows up to be a Rush fan, she can convince him to keep playing shows so she can watch. :)

When she's grown up he's going to be too old to tour.

OK, when she grows up to be 8. He should still be able to squeeze out one more then. ;)

• Like 2

OK, when she grows up to be 8. He should still be able to squeeze out one more then. ;)

:LOL:

It was also Olivia’s first Rush concert, and she loved it. I had thought she might last a song or two, but she danced and air-drummed right to the end. Manager Ray arranged a “box” for them, high up over everything, and Olivia couldn’t get over all the people.

“There must be two-thousand-and-eighteen people,” she said.

Ray laughed and told her, “Actually there are about eleven thousand!”

Olivia looked puzzled, “Are they all here to see my dad and Uncle Alex and Uncle Geddy?”

When Ray assured her they were, she said, “That’s too silly.”

Then she wondered, “Do they know he’s my dad?”

Ray laughed and said, “They probably do.”

During intermission she came backstage and ran up to me, arms raised for me to pick her up. Still wearing her big red “ear defenders,” she was so excited that she bounced in my arms.

“Daddy! It was great! I only didn’t like the shipwreck and the explosion!”

This one little story is greater than anything I've ever read about the Band.....

• Like 5

While I was there in NOLA a fellow fan pointed out that Olivia and Carrie were spotted in the arena. That's when I thought Neil could take his family with him on some parts of the tour just like other musicans do. Chris Squire of Yes has done that with his youngest daughter.
  • Like 1

Great read. In addition to the great Olivia story, I was really happy to hear that the throwback kit was really his idea from the beginning, and that he was genuinely excited about it. I was a bit worried that it was Ged's or Alex's idea, and that Neil begrudgingly agreed. I haven't read the tourbook yet, so I wasn't sure if he mentioned it in there, but that's really cool.

One of his better updates definitely.

• Like 2

That was awesome reading about Olivia. I hope they are able to do that on a regular basis this tour. The Rush people certainly would be the most family friendly rock organization to host Olivia and Carrie.

Maybe Olivia can relay some critiques from Neil:

'Umm Mr. Gump? My dad said the floor tom really sucked ass last night. What does 'sucked ass' mean?'

• Like 2

Wait until Geddy finds out. :smash:

• Like 1

I'm truly happy for Neil... What a touching moment with his daughter.... Now maybe he won't feel so insecure leaving her for a few weeks, since she's now at an age where she's starting to understand what her daddy does... It should be less strain on him when he's away, and he'll enjoy the road a little bit more....
  • Like 1

Great to sit at home, listening to Rush feeds via Periscope while reading some moving stories from Neil. Good times for Rush fans.

He always gets me at some point, with his writing. This time I think it were the parts of little Olivia and all the great places he describes (see Wounded Knee/Mount Rushmore segments).

One of the best blogs he ever wrote. Wakes my wanderlust to roam. :cool: