HEAVY METAL HoF Vocalists, Sebastian BACH, Geoff TATE, Don DOKKEN and CJ Snare, who else belongs? NO ONE BEEOTCH

JohnRogers

I can't honestly put together the words 'Bon Jovi' and 'Metal'. Too many 'sub's.

Can we connect Matthew and Gunnar Nelson?

I don't expect anyone to like or have heard bobby liebling or scott wino but those guys have very street, very rock n roll voices. and in a genre that's dominated by wannabe-demons and wannabe-bruce dickinsons, it's refreshing for someone to still have the ozzy/david lee roth/lemmy attitude when it comes to singing.

have you seen the documentary on liebling? Amazing story. Check it out..

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1723126/

Hey, great tip!! I'll find this doc, seems like a sad but good film.

Really amazing story, yes. Definitley check it out.

I watched it on YouTube the other day. Really great!

If we are going to include some hard rock vocalists - at least from bands that metalheads embraced at one point or another, these five need to be mentioned:

- Bon Scott

- Paul Stanley

- Geddy Lee

- Phil Moog

- Axl Rose ( although for a very short period )

Edited by Lucas

Be damned if I know. Back in the day Night Ranger or Damn Yankees was hard rock and AC/DC or Guns 'n Roses was Heavy Metal.

What's the difference between "Hard Rock" and "Metal"?

Depends on how old you are. If you're an old dude like me, there's no difference. If you're a young kid, songs like Hells Bells aren't metal. Metal requires (1) that every musician in the band be playing like they are all in a race to get to the end of the song, (2) Cookie Monster as the vocalist, and (3) the song lyrics must be about the joys of killing your mother.

• Like 2

What's the difference between "Hard Rock" and "Metal"?

Depends on how old you are. If you're an old dude like me, there's no difference. If you're a young kid, songs like Hells Bells aren't metal. Metal requires (1) that every musician in the band be playing like they are all in a race to get to the end of the song, (2) Cookie Monster as the vocalist, and (3) the song lyrics must be about the joys of killing your mother.

for some reason this post reminded me of richard ramirez, the guy who killed and raped old ladies and left his AC/DC hat at a crime scene

70's definitions there's hardly a difference between hard rock and heavy metal, although I think there's a clear distinction between priest's stained class, motorhead's overkill, sabbath's master of reality (still called metal today even by 13 year-olds) and nugent's cat scratch fever, AC/DC's high voltage, and blue oyster cult's first album (called metal today by nobody younger than 50).

I think 1980/1981 was when stuff like NWOBHM really upped the "extremity" and separated hard rock from metal. ace of spades, the first couple of maiden's, lightning to the nations...these are all clearly heavier than most albums before them. and if someone can't hear a difference in sound/style between, say, pyromania and powerslave, that's their thing and likely has little to do with age and more to do with ears. not that any of this matters, but it's fun to argue about.