HEAVY METAL HoF Vocalists, Sebastian BACH, Geoff TATE, Don DOKKEN and CJ Snare, who else belongs? NO ONE BEEOTCH

JohnRogers

Pyromania is still metal to me. Hysteria isn't.

Pyromania is a great album but it sure isn't metal.

If you need a lesson on what metal sounds like, listen to these two metal songs that were recorded around the same time as Pyromania. I'm sure that musically you can hear the difference between these bands and Def Leppard in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8p9JpDuQ-o

Queensrÿche when did they go from metal to hard rock? Based on the discussion lately it did happen.

The same could said aboot Crötley Mu...well except they always sucked balls.

• Like 1

What's the difference between "Hard Rock" and "Metal"?

Depends on how old you are. If you're an old dude like me, there's no difference. If you're a young kid, songs like Hells Bells aren't metal. Metal requires (1) that every musician in the band be playing like they are all in a race to get to the end of the song, (2) Cookie Monster as the vocalist, and (3) the song lyrics must be about the joys of killing your mother.

for some reason this post reminded me of richard ramirez, the guy who killed and raped old ladies and left his AC/DC hat at a crime scene

Yours made me think of Varg Vikernes, the "genius" black metal performer who actually did kill someone.

• Like 1

70's definitions there's hardly a difference between hard rock and heavy metal, although I think there's a clear distinction between priest's stained class, motorhead's overkill, sabbath's master of reality (still called metal today even by 13 year-olds) and nugent's cat scratch fever, AC/DC's high voltage, and blue oyster cult's first album (called metal today by nobody younger than 50).

I think 1980/1981 was when stuff like NWOBHM really upped the "extremity" and separated hard rock from metal. ace of spades, the first couple of maiden's, lightning to the nations...these are all clearly heavier than most albums before them. and if someone can't hear a difference in sound/style between, say, pyromania and powerslave, that's their thing and likely has little to do with age and more to do with ears. not that any of this matters, but it's fun to argue about.

Your finest hour, for me, remains describing 80s Priest as "woo hoo, let's cruise around town drinking bud light." Still funny as hell.

• Like 2

If you need a lesson on what metal sounds like, listen to these two metal songs that were recorded around the same time as Pyromania. I'm sure that musically you can hear the difference between these bands and Def Leppard in 1983.

I don't need a lesson at all man.

I don't need a lesson at all man. Thanks for the links tho. Those songs kick much ass.

first 2 crue are probably the best albums in all of cock rock

There was something very genuine about the crue. Unlike other cock rock bands , they lived the lifestyle. Bands like dokken and poison seemed contrived to me.

And I love those first 2 albums. And I'm one of the few who actually didn't mind theater of pain .

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube....h?v=J8p9JpDuQ-o

Why are they so different from Rock! Rock (Till You Drop) that they're considered to be an entirely different genre of music?

This reminds Joe Elliot is NOT on the Mt RUSHmore of metal vocalists.

Greatest Metal Vocalist EVER!!!!

http://naturesjoyny.com/wp-content/uploads/040611MSMO34A.jpg

Bon Scott and Axl Rose were not in metal bands?

I don't like this new world I'm living in...I WANT OFF!!!

Queensrÿche when did they go from metal to hard rock? Based on the discussion lately it did happen.

The same could said aboot Crötley Mu...well except they always sucked balls.

I've been a fan of AC/DC and GnR as long as I can remember and don't consider either one of them metal. You can put up an argument that on Appetite For Destruction GnR were but Welcome To The Jungle is really the only song that I would call a metal tune. You Could Be Mine I would also say is a metal but the majority of their stuff is hard rock.

AC/DC has never been metal, they play hard rock. The best why I can define the meaning of hard rock is, heavier than what The Rolling Stones play but not as heavy as what Black Sabbath plays. AC/DC fits right into that category. They are heavy they're just not metal. They don't have that guitar tone that a band like Maiden or Priest has which I consider the ideal metal sound.

Queensryche wasn't metal on Empire but then they were again on Promised Land. I slowly lost in interest in them so I can't speak to their later releases with Tate. Their last album with the new singer is certainly a traditional sounding metal album.

Man, even as a metal fan it's hard to describe what it and what isn't metal. The genre has evolved so much, especially since the 90s and has more sub genres than any other form of music. No matter what I think qualifies as metal, there's always gonna be other people who think differently.

• Like 1

It's all in the heaviness of the guitar/ bass, the driving rhythms, vocal delivery, and attitude. A band like foreigner might have some rockin tunes, but they are definitley not hard rock.
  • Like 2

Depends on how old you are. If you're an old dude like me, there's no difference. If you're a young kid, songs like Hells Bells aren't metal. Metal requires (1) that every musician in the band be playing like they are all in a race to get to the end of the song, (2) Cookie Monster as the vocalist, and (3) the song lyrics must be about the joys of killing your mother.

for some reason this post reminded me of richard ramirez, the guy who killed and raped old ladies and left his AC/DC hat at a crime scene

Yours made me think of Varg Vikernes, the "genius" black metal performer who actually did kill someone.

he killed a guy in another black metal band when they got in a fight.

they say ramirez would first torture his victims by making them listen to flick of the switch...

• Like 1

he killed a guy in another black metal band when they got in a fight.

they say ramirez would first torture his victims by making them listen to flick of the switch...

Big Bon fan, huh?

• Like 1

Serious question is KISS heavy metal or just a hard rock freak show?

kind of like what J2112 said, a good test that I never thought of before - does this sound closer to the stones or black sabbath? I think KISS were closer to the stones

kind of like what J2112 said, a good test that I never thought of before - does this sound closer to the stones or black sabbath? I think KISS were closer to the stones

For this to work I need something other than Black Sabbath. Never really gave them much of listen and have no desire to now.

For this to work I need something other than Black Sabbath. Never really gave them much of listen and have no desire to now.

have you heard the song "iron man" before? if you have, you know what sabbath sounds like even if you never bought the records.

Just leave. Please.