Does anyone get a little depressed after sex?

JohnRogers

Wow, I'm at such a low spot. Gaining almost sixty pounds in a year, sometimes when I look down at my belly I have a hard time seeing my penis. It's been hard for me to "press on" the last few months. I get tired and labored.

The other day I tried to have "sexy time" I was physically sick at how poorly I performed. I'm as blue as a jolly fat man can be. Should I just cut carbs and start lighting weights again?

I should add also when I am the only one in the house let alone the room... :eh:

Cutting out the "white" from your diet will help.

We cut out almost all breads, & sugars and we feel much better.

Edit to add ~ this was hard at first. We were carboholics. Bread with most meals in different forms. Sugar in coffee etc.

Sugar is an addiction though, you have to get through the withdrawl period where your body is craving it and it gets much easier.

I am NOT a skinny girl - I am curvy, and being short doesn't help - but the first step is FEELING better - You can control your feelings with the fuel you put into your body.

We eat lots of salad - but rather than keeping it boring, we use healthy toppings, mixed beans, beets, peperocini, feta cheese, onions etc. We also stopped buying commercial dressing - we cut out dressing altogether for a while, but now we make our own with avocado oil, or olive oil or sunflower oil and different kinds of vinegars.

We eat less potatoes, rice and other simple carbs, and more roasted veggies, or grilled veggies

We mostly eat pork, & chicken, but I LOVE beef so we have our fair share of burgers and steak - all in moderation.

More water.

My alcohol of choice is generally a dry red wine, but I love wheat beer, so I don't drink it often.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 6

there are others with better ideas and who live much healthier lifestyles than we do.

I'm sure they would chime in, but the thread title might be a bit deceiving..... seems a little tongue in cheek, but if it's honest advice you're looking for, start small, but start.... it will get easier. you didn't gain it overnight, and you won't lose it over night but you can do it.

• Like 3

Should I just cut carbs and start lighting weights again?

Lifting weights is the last thing that you should do. The best strategy is to get MOVING. Quick-pace walking, jogging, running, biking, stairmaster, treadmill, whatever it takes. BURN those calories. That and a high-protein, lots of water diet will work.

I've been eating less and drinking lots of vegetable juice the past month or so. I've lost 15 pounds in the past 2-3 weeks, thanks to eating better and more strenuous jobs at work.

• Like 6

Lifting weights is the last thing that you should do. The best strategy is to get MOVING. Quick-pace walking, jogging, running, biking, stairmaster, treadmill, whatever it takes. BURN those calories. That and a high-protein, lots of water diet will work.

I've been eating less and drinking lots of vegetable juice the past month or so. I've lost 15 pounds in the past 2-3 weeks, thanks to eating better and more strenuous jobs at work.

I read this as butter, and thought GREAT!

• Like 1

there are others with better ideas and who live much healthier lifestyles than we do.

I'm sure they would chime in, but the thread title might be a bit deceiving..... seems a little tongue in cheek, but if it's honest advice you're looking for, start small, but start.... it will get easier. you didn't gain it overnight, and you won't lose it over night but you can do it.

Kudos for the depth of detail in your posts here.

I can't claim the healthiest lifestyle, but I don't drink alcohol at all (which I'm sure all of you know by now), and I don't smoke anything...I know a lot of people who have gained weight when they try to cut down or quit smoking, because they use food as a substitute. But at any rate...

I'm not feeling great about my body right now, even though it's not totally wretched or anything (6'1", 180 pounds or so)...I'm just not as fit as I used to be, even two years ago. Carbs and I are great friends, too- we love each other very much, actually, hahaha...and I know that's not totally right, or healthy. It's just a matter of discipline. And curiously, I've been able to employ a great deal of discipline at other times, in other areas of my life (like when I got sober, for example, and the fact that I've stayed that way for seventeen and a half years now)...but not when it comes to my diet. I do eat a good amount of fresh fruits and veggies, but I counteract that with still a good deal of fast food and crap, too. (Amazing, after all that I've put in my body over the past 25 years or so, that my cholesterol hovers around 160).

Long story short, and advice that I need to heed myself, just as much as anyone else does- it's just a matter of discipline. It can be done.

Oh, and to answer the OP's original question...I don't know. :huh: :( I don't think I've felt that way in the past, though.

• Like 2

First, the original question: NO!

To add to Sunny's post about eating better. We also try not to eat anything processed, things prepared or the just add water and heat kinds of things; Things with all the ingredients in the box already. I found that eating more 'whole foods' this way I get hungry less often, the meals keep me satisfied longer through the day.

When we started this I thought sugar was going to be hard, I was a chocoholic. Turns out carbs are way harder than I though they would be. We still eat but try to eat them but in their natural forms like rice or potatoes. If we eat bread we do our best to not eat white.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm at such a low spot. Gaining almost sixty pounds in a year, sometimes when I look down at my belly I have a hard time seeing my penis. It's been hard for me to "press on" the last few months. I get tired and labored.

The other day I tried to have "sexy time" I was physically sick at how poorly I performed. I'm as blue as a jolly fat man can be. Should I just cut carbs and start lighting weights again?

Eating healthy doesn't always mean cutting anything out entirely. It is possible to enjoy a little bit of everything, but in moderation. But the best way to effectively "get rid of" any of the bad things you consume is exercise, even moderate exercise. Something as simple as taking a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood after dinner has tremendous effect. Ever notice how Europeans eat all sorts of things we deem bad for us, but don't have the same obesity rates we do? Culturally, they walk. After dinner strolls are very common. Funny how a post meal casual stroll seems to be healthier than plopping in front of a TV or computer!

Likewise, you don't have to be a gym rat to get some quality exercise.

After a tremendous health scare a few years ago, I got into cycling (I mainly park and trail ride and generally avoid road riding) for simple aerobic exercise that was easy on the knees and let me enjoy the outdoors. I have grown to absolutely love it. I recommend cycling to anyone and everyone that will listen. A decent bike that will be comfortable and last you many years will cost around $450 (you can go cheaper and get a $150 bike at a big box store, but that bike will not be comfortable, will fall apart, and will end up rusting in a garage). I have gone a bit nuts and paid a lot more for my newest bikes, but over the long haul, the bikes do not cost more than a gym membership and the other reward is fresh air, pleasant sites, and no loud grunting or strong odors!

• Like 2

Sex is supposed to be fun! If you're depressed afterwards figure out what is making you that way, and then try and fix it. Are you unhappy about yourself? Then eat better (eat actual food, not processed stuff, and lots of fruits & veggies) and move around more. Even walking is good exercise, and helps build stamina. Also, talk to your partner and ask them to help you out (if you're on the bottom, for instance, then you have to work less :D ).
  • Like 5

First, the original question: NO!

To add to Sunny's post about eating better. We also try not to eat anything processed, things prepared or the just add water and heat kinds of things; Things with all the ingredients in the box already. I found that eating more 'whole foods' this way I get hungry less often, the meals keep me satisfied longer through the day.

When we started this I thought sugar was going to be hard, I was a chocoholic. Turns out carbs are way harder than I though they would be. We still eat but try to eat them but in their natural forms like rice or potatoes. If we eat bread we do our best to not eat white.

Yes!

I don't think I've had white bread anything for at least 25 years, maybe 30. Mom raised us that way.

I don't remember, it's been so goddam long since I had any. However, that may change soon. I'll let you know. ;)
  • Like 1

...but the thread title might be a bit deceiving..... seems a little tongue in cheek, but if it's honest advice you're looking for, start small, but start.... it will get easier. you didn't gain it overnight, and you won't lose it over night but you can do it.

Ah you caught that, what do they say aboot humor? To be good there must be an element of truth. Seriously though in aboot a year I did gain over forty pounds. My wife gained too, I don't dare ask how much. I'd be lying if I said it didn't effect intimacy.

We live across the street to a great access point to the jogging/bike trail. We used to use it almost daily for years but fell off the wagon this winter for some reason. We recently got back on the program and I appreciate a lot of good advice in this thread.

• Like 1

But seriously, I get where you're coming from. Sex is, well, kind of "athletic" in a way. You engage a lot of muscles. And if you are unhappy about how you look, that's going to make you self-conscious and interfere with your enjoyment.

I WOULD start lifting weights some. Nothing strenuous - maybe try circuit training at first. Include 3-4 days of some light cardiovascular activity. Make it something you enjoy, like brisk walks with your wife.

Of course changing your eating habits is the hardest part (it is for many people, anyway). Small steps. Don't try to drastically overhaul your entire diet all at once or you'll feel horribly deprived, frustrated, and defeated.

Good luck! I don't know how old you are, but I am 47 and in the best shape of my life. Now if I could just get laid.....

Good advice here but one thing different since leaving the USAF is I'm not doing any strength training anymore. I thought that plus getting off my daily 60-90 minute walk was the problem. I figured weight lifting and cutting back carbs is what I need to get progress going.

• Like 1

I don't remember, it's been so goddam long since I had any. However, that may change soon. I'll let you know. ;)

We'll find out through the Organizational Response Group And Seismographic Meters on the web...pretty sure it'll shake the Earth

• Like 6