How much have you spent on this band?

toymaker

It's not that I have too much free time on my hands, but . . . well I guess tonight I do.

This is maybe too personal a question, and not one that's easy to answer at any rate - unless maybe you use the handy-dandy Rush Expenditure Calculator below (this will return probably a very conservative estimate):

# of LP records, cassette tapes, 8 tracks or CDs X $15 (just an estimation)

# of VHS, laserdisc, or DVDs X $25

# of concerts attended in the 70s X $7 (on average)

# of concerts attended in the 80s X $20

# of concerts attended in the 90s X $40

# of concerts attended in the 00s X $60

# of concerts attended in the 10s X $100 (if you've paid loads for VIP tickets it'll be a different story!)

# of concert T-shirts X $20 (just a rough average)

# of concert tour books purchased X $15

# of other concert related items purchased X $15

- take the total from concert related expenditures and add 35% for travel and food; also add ticket value and travel expenses to Rush conventions

# of Rush books and calendars X $20

estimate a value of other purchases (posters, mugs, keychains, buttons, framed pictures, playing cards, bobbleheads, miniature guitar replicas, extra-expensive books, rarities purchased on e-Bay, etc.- we even have Rush postage stamps up here in Canada)

Shall we include signature musical instruments, guitar picks, drum sticks? If you're a musician, you probably would have bought something of equivalent value anyway. Include these only if you bought them because they were Rush related, but never play them?

Magazines with Rush articles X $7?

What am I forgetting?

I'm not really being serious here. I have a comparably modest collection of Rush swag, but I think it would frustrate me trying to calculate it all - and it would probably freak me out a little bit, as well. I guess my point is that we have definitely shown our love for this band! And perhaps no matter how much of our hard-earned disposable income we have sunk into the careers of these guys, ain't it worth it in the end? Hours of entertainment, speculation, and anticipation, and boatloads of good friends. :cheers:

Somewhere south of a million dollars. ;)

Yeah . . . you guys wrote this song and I liked it so much I bought it on cassette, on vinyl, on CD, again on CD, again on CD, again on vinyl, and I spent money to watch you play that song again and again and again, and I liked how you played it so much that I bought a video of you playing that song and then I bought a DVD of the same video for the better quality, and then I bought 7 more DVDs with you playing that song. I REALLY like that song!!!

• Like 2

Check out my photobucket. I have a real addiction with Rush stuff!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!

http://s63.photobuck.../?sort=3&page=0

Did you buy all that stuff or are they just pics you've collected?

no everything pictured and listed I have in my collection!!!!!

Let's see, since 1980 I have spent ... somewhere between a hundred and a hundred thousand dollars.

I have all the albums (at least once), some special edition things, books, videos, a used to buy a ton of magazines back in the 80s, posters, shirts, concert tickets, good concert tickets, travel to some concerts, etc. etc.

But the memories I have are priceless :D

• Like 5

Rough estimate puts me at about $650 considering albums, shirts, and tickets

650? That's nuthin'! Well, everything's on youtube "for free" anyway!

Enough. I've spent enough.
  • Like 1

Check out my photobucket. I have a real addiction with Rush stuff!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/huey0831/library/?sort=3&page=0

I have a big problem, it seems to be getting worse. I would like to open my own Rush museum someday.
  • Like 2

My dad has bought CDs, tour books, and tickets so I don't think that really counts. He's seen them over 20 times so he's been pretty generous lol. For me, I guess a couple hundred, over time of course, but that's all memorabilia, even counting shirts that I've bought off of their official merch website. I'm gonna guess $200, maybe $250 or even $300.

My dad has bought CDs, tour books, and tickets so I don't think that really counts. He's seen them over 20 times so he's been pretty generous lol. For me, I guess a couple hundred, over time of course, but that's all memorabilia, even counting shirts that I've bought off of their official merch website. I'm gonna guess $200, maybe $250 or even $300.

Hmm...so basically, the amount one person could spend on one ticket, a meal before the show, a t-shirt or two, and a tour book. . . . are you sure there shouldn't be an extra zero or two in there? ;)

• Like 1

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/holyshit_zpsc64852b9.jpg
  • Like 8

Do I count the thousands of dollars in musical equipment (primarily guitars and amps) I have bought as a result of being inspired to play guitar by Dr. Lifeson??
  • Like 1

Do I count the thousands of dollars in musical equipment (primarily guitars and amps) I have bought as a result of being inspired to play guitar by Dr. Lifeson??

I would say no. That's a different equation altogether, I think.

This seems like a question for Zumbi.....

For me, probably around $500. I have all the studio albums and most of the live stuff (CD and Blu Ray).

I also have a framed poster of the band playing live circa 1978

This seems like a question for Zumbi.....

For me, probably around $500. I have all the studio albums and most of the live stuff (CD and Blu Ray).

I also have a framed poster of the band playing live circa 1978

double necks, mirrored drum riser, Peart with sticks poised in the air, and someone giving the peace sign (or possibly the devil's horns sign) in the front row?

Started to do my own tally and had to stop. I got through the vinyl, the CDs, the Sector box set, the r40 box, the DVDs, some of the books . . . well over two grand just for the media and some of the accompanying stuff. Then there's tour stuff . . . ticket prices for me went up from about $16.50 the first time I saw them to over a hundred last time I saw them. But I gotta say . . . like everyone else I guess . . . well worth it. Kept me out of trouble and got me hooked on playing guitar and bass. That in itself can't be paid back.
  • Like 1