Clockwork Angels

Na na na

The synth era sold a lot of records, gave us a lot of great songs, brought the band many new fans. That is success.

What great songs?

And it also LOST them a lot of fans, as many have testified here.

You really want that list? I'll write it up for you. It will be a long one.

As for the fan base I'm pretty sure those coming up in the PeW, MP, Signals era who stuck with the band in addition to the new Synth Era fans out number the losses of the 70's Painted Denim Jacket Era fans.

Discuss.

You really want that list? I'll write it up for you. It will be a long one.

Yep, I do really want that list.

As for the fan base I'm pretty sure those coming up in the PeW, MP, Signals era who stuck with the band in addition to the new Synth Era fans out number the losses of the 70's Painted Denim Jacket Era fans.

Discuss.

Doubt it.

Edited for spoilers.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Without violating the spoiler ban here. I loved Set Two not so much Set One. I had many great thoughts aboot Set Two. I also mused aboot all the 70's Painted Denim Jacket Crew that missed Set Two because they stopped seeing the band back in '87.

Without violating the spoiler ban here. I loved Set Two not so much Set One. I had many great thoughts aboot Set Two. I also mused aboot all the 70's Painted Denim Jacket Crew that missed Set Two because they stopped seeing the band back in '87.

Thanks for the reminder...I edited my previous post for spoilers (even though there was nothing specific.)

I took a hiatus from about that time until about 2010. Glad I came back for CA and five shows since then. The CA Tour set two was much better than set one, but there's something about a live setting that made the PoW and other synth stuff at least palatable.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Did you wear your Painted Starman Denim Jacket to the show?

;)

Nope, don't have one. I've also never done drugs.

Sorry to disappoint you.

• Like 1

;)

Sorry to disappoint you.

But you have dined on honeydew

And prefer it to the O'Doul's that is Presto.

I stopped seeing the band back in 87' (and buying their music) but never owned a painted denim jacket. Started my comeback with the Vapor Trails tour. Hell 15 years just flew by and I didn't miss them in the least. I am not a "real fan" or "hardcore fan" however so that explains everything. Just figured my children and trying to earn a living more important. Silly me... :codger: Edited by Narps

;)

Sorry to disappoint you.

I think Ted Nugent just outed himself.

;)

Sorry to disappoint you.

I think Ted Nugent just outed himself.

Well, you're no stranger to being wrong, so what's one more time?

Bottom line:

CA is a solid album marred by a crappy mix.

Thanks Nick. Thanks alot.

Brilliant album hampered by crappy mix...

How about this: Masterpiece mixed in a manner that makes some picky fans, yearning for the long gone TB era, uncomfortable because they're afraid of new soundscapes from Rush

Or masterpiece mixed in a manner that it gives some synthy fans, yearning for the long gone synth dominated material, uncomfortable because they're afraid of guitar based Rush and would rather have them sound like neutered Mister Mister like sap.

The last two posts about cover it.

Nah the first mix of the caravan single was killer. If the whole album sounded like that...

• Like 1

I'm digging a lot of the material on it. I never really sat down and gave it "the listen" but hearing it again, I really like some of the material on it especially The Wreckers and the title track.

I consider The Wreckers one of the real stinkaroos. That and Wish Them Well. P.U. Just my opinion of course. Enjoy...

The Wreckers does absolutely nothing for me. There are some Rush tracks I care much less for than the average guy, but I cant figure out why people love this song

• Like 1

Let's bring this out of the dust bin. TonyR always plays fair

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 24 2012, 08:57 AM) A Rush Forum member's review is always an entertaining read. This review is by none other than Tony R, Came from a great website, check it out.

I've been a strong critic of post-Signals Rush for a long time and a subscriber to the Brit Rush Fan mantra: "Old Rush good, new Rush bad". On hearing 2008's "Snakes & Arrows" I was originally quite impressed but after the initial honeymoon period I rarely play it, if ever. It lacks those "moments" that can elevate an album and demand you to play it over and over again. In 2010 Rush took the step of releasing two new tracks; Caravan and BU2B (Brought Up To Believe) and I was disappointed. These were rush-released to give the band something to tour on, as they prefer to have new material to play (though they also played "Moving Pictures" in its entirety hence "Time Machine Tour") and many fans were unimpressed but intrigued that these tracks were the first two of a complete concept album, as, surprisingly, Rush has never recorded a full concept album. The theme would be based on Steampunk, a sort of futuristic Jules Verne meets HG Wells world of Victorian aesthetic and there would be strings on some of the tracks. Hmmm. Headlong Flight is subsequently released as a single as a teaser for the album and again I am unimpressed. So 5 stars, where did they come from?

Clockwork Angels is a concept album and as such should be viewed as a whole and listened to in its entirety in one sitting. Probably inspired, or emboldened at least, by the relative success of Porcupine Tree's "The Incident" (Peart made reference to that album prior to recording) this is a definitive Rush album wherein the sum is greater than the parts. It is not perfect; Lee's vocals at times are grating, and there is still too much reliance on the "verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus", but as a modern Heavy Prog album it is a triumph.

Each track is connected by a short atmospheric intro but other than that there are no real re-occurring musical themes (except, of course, BU2B2). Lyrically we get Peart's usual musing on individualism, blind faith, integrity, order and chaos and Dawkinsism and it is often difficult to decipher the story that will evolve into a novel via Peart's collaboration with scifi writer Kevin J Anderson.

Musically we are treated to enormous riffs, kenetic bass-playing and some of Peart's best drum work in decades. Standout tracks are Clockwork Angels, Carnies, The Wreckers andThe Garden, the latter being quite unlike any previous Rush track with its lush strings, plaintive guitar and soothing, beautiful melody and is an instant Rush classic. Tracks that I initially couldn't take to, the aforementioned Caravan, BU2B (terrible title) and Headlong Flight work well within the overall album - Headlong Flight in particular is a rip-roaring monster of a track propelling the album forward with huge guitar sounds, frenetic drums and echoes of "Bastille Day" and "Bytor". There are a couple of tracks, though not terrible, are not quite up to the standard of the rest; Seven Cities Of Gold which features an atrocious vocal and Wish Them Well a mundane track that was apparently re-written several times this proving that a watched pot never boils. However when it is bad Clockwork Angels is merely average but when it is good it is brilliant so please do not argue with my 5 star rating.

This could be the best Rush album since "Moving Pictures", it is certainly on a par with "Signals" and was rewarded by reaching #2 in the Official US Album Chart, quite a feat by the un-hippest rock band on the planet.There are strings on quite a few tracks and the band intends to take a small string section on their huge worldwide "Clockwork Angels" Tour in 2012 and 2013, I suggest you rush out and acquire tickets now

http://www.progarchi...w.asp?id=792040

Now THIS is a review...bare arsed and honest!!!

I really have a hard time believing Tony wrote that :eh: The username's right there but there's not enough sarcasm to make it look like Tony wrote it :LOL:

• Like 1

I'm digging a lot of the material on it. I never really sat down and gave it "the listen" but hearing it again, I really like some of the material on it especially The Wreckers and the title track.

I consider The Wreckers one of the real stinkaroos. That and Wish Them Well. P.U. Just my opinion of course. Enjoy...

The Wreckers does absolutely nothing for me. There are some Rush tracks I care much less for than the average guy, but I cant figure out why people love this song

I find nothing overly special about it, but I enjoy it. It's definitely the "single" on the album.

Agreed. I did forget 7COG too. Not a fan of that one either. Those are really the ones that I dislike. Those three mainly I would skip every time. The rest are good to excellent ( The Garden and Halo Effect being the excellent ones)...

Agreed. I did forget 7COG too. Not a fan of that one either. Those are really the ones that I dislike. Those three mainly I would skip every time. The rest are good to excellent ( The Garden and Halo Effect being the excellent ones)...

All three are masterpieces by 1985-2007 standards.

Let's bring this out of the dust bin. TonyR always plays fair

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 24 2012, 08:57 AM) A Rush Forum member's review is always an entertaining read. This review is by none other than Tony R, Came from a great website, check it out.

I've been a strong critic of post-Signals Rush for a long time and a subscriber to the Brit Rush Fan mantra: "Old Rush good, new Rush bad". On hearing 2008's "Snakes & Arrows" I was originally quite impressed but after the initial honeymoon period I rarely play it, if ever. It lacks those "moments" that can elevate an album and demand you to play it over and over again. In 2010 Rush took the step of releasing two new tracks; Caravan and BU2B (Brought Up To Believe) and I was disappointed. These were rush-released to give the band something to tour on, as they prefer to have new material to play (though they also played "Moving Pictures" in its entirety hence "Time Machine Tour") and many fans were unimpressed but intrigued that these tracks were the first two of a complete concept album, as, surprisingly, Rush has never recorded a full concept album. The theme would be based on Steampunk, a sort of futuristic Jules Verne meets HG Wells world of Victorian aesthetic and there would be strings on some of the tracks. Hmmm. Headlong Flight is subsequently released as a single as a teaser for the album and again I am unimpressed. So 5 stars, where did they come from?

Clockwork Angels is a concept album and as such should be viewed as a whole and listened to in its entirety in one sitting. Probably inspired, or emboldened at least, by the relative success of Porcupine Tree's "The Incident" (Peart made reference to that album prior to recording) this is a definitive Rush album wherein the sum is greater than the parts. It is not perfect; Lee's vocals at times are grating, and there is still too much reliance on the "verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus", but as a modern Heavy Prog album it is a triumph.

Each track is connected by a short atmospheric intro but other than that there are no real re-occurring musical themes (except, of course, BU2B2). Lyrically we get Peart's usual musing on individualism, blind faith, integrity, order and chaos and Dawkinsism and it is often difficult to decipher the story that will evolve into a novel via Peart's collaboration with scifi writer Kevin J Anderson.

Musically we are treated to enormous riffs, kenetic bass-playing and some of Peart's best drum work in decades. Standout tracks are Clockwork Angels, Carnies, The Wreckers andThe Garden, the latter being quite unlike any previous Rush track with its lush strings, plaintive guitar and soothing, beautiful melody and is an instant Rush classic. Tracks that I initially couldn't take to, the aforementioned Caravan, BU2B (terrible title) and Headlong Flight work well within the overall album - Headlong Flight in particular is a rip-roaring monster of a track propelling the album forward with huge guitar sounds, frenetic drums and echoes of "Bastille Day" and "Bytor". There are a couple of tracks, though not terrible, are not quite up to the standard of the rest; Seven Cities Of Gold which features an atrocious vocal and Wish Them Well a mundane track that was apparently re-written several times this proving that a watched pot never boils. However when it is bad Clockwork Angels is merely average but when it is good it is brilliant so please do not argue with my 5 star rating.

This could be the best Rush album since "Moving Pictures", it is certainly on a par with "Signals" and was rewarded by reaching #2 in the Official US Album Chart, quite a feat by the un-hippest rock band on the planet.There are strings on quite a few tracks and the band intends to take a small string section on their huge worldwide "Clockwork Angels" Tour in 2012 and 2013, I suggest you rush out and acquire tickets now

http://www.progarchi...w.asp?id=792040

Now THIS is a review...bare arsed and honest!!!

I really have a hard time believing Tony wrote that :eh: The username's right there but there's not enough sarcasm to make it look like Tony wrote it :LOL:

If he indeed did which I have no reason to doubt, I would be curious if he felt the same today... :codger:

All three are masterpieces by 1985-2007 standards.

Disagree but don't care enough to go any further with this and I am far from a fan of their work overall during the period you highlight. There are probably a dozen to fifteen songs I like better than those three mentioned but you would disagree and then back and forth we go and as I said just not interested that much. If somebody said some pre 81' stuff sucked or a bunch of songs from an album did it would interest me alot more to attempt to defend something I really really care about or for...

The Wreckers is excellent, it's very cinematic in it's story and the overall feel of the song, like Red Barchetta :D Edited by Na na na
  • Like 2

This is clearly on of Rush defining moments, pure gold, on of their best albums.

Yup! It's in my top three or four, and I think it is their best album since 1980-81.

• Like 4

The Wreckers is excellent, it's very cinematic in it's story and the overall feel of the song, like Red Barchetta :D

I agree. I love how Neil's drums serve the story in the song. They sound like waves crashing up against a ship and the crack of thunder as Geddy sings about a storm. They serve the song so well

• Like 1

The Wreckers is excellent, it's very cinematic in it's story and the overall feel of the song, like Red Barchetta :D

Wow, and in the same sentence too... :eh:

Wow, and in the same sentence too... :eh:

Blasphemous!!