Been watching TMT DVD

D3strukt

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

There was nothing wrong with Tulsa. At all.

It was a fun show, and a sight to behold watching them unfurl that setlist with no knowledge of what was to come!

This was my takeaway as well. Lorraine is setting off alarms on account of things that are typically normal for the first show of a tour. Bit overblown. I've enjoyed observing the steady improvement of Ged's voice over the first 11 shows

I resent that.

I'm not setting off any alarms.

I'm entitled to my observations as much as you are.

So don't resent my observations Lorraine, but what you posted is what you posted, I can respond to what you write--it's what we do here:

"something is way off in Rushland"--Alarm number 1

"If I spent hundreds of dollars on a ticket I'd be insulted"

"Neil looked utterly bored"--this is expected when you watch Pratt drum

'"their heart wasn't in it"

"Even Geddy seemed half-hearted. When he introduced one song, I got the impression that it was only with reluctance they were doing it, and that it really annoyed them that they had to do it. "

Here are your comments.

Well...what I am about to say will go over here like a lead balloon, but here it goes.

I am glad you wrote what you did. I was able to watch the entire Tulsa show due to the gracious courtesy of a top-notch TRFer.

Something is very much off in Rushland. I was struck by the fact that their heart wasn't in it. The playing was mechanical. It was cold. Neil looked utterly bored and was simply going through the motions. In fact, had I paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I might have been insulted watching him. Alex was the one that pained me the most. It wasn't the Alex we are used to seeing.

I realize that when you go see them there is a lot of emotion and sentiment involved for many here. It would be hard for you to see what I saw. It's not what I was looking for or even expected, especially after hearing all the rave reviews.

What is your point other than you don't care for what I wrote?

I don't like your insinuation that I wrote what I wrote to be nasty or mean.

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

It was a fun show, and a sight to behold watching them unfurl that setlist with no knowledge of what was to come!

This was my takeaway as well. Lorraine is setting off alarms on account of things that are typically normal for the first show of a tour. Bit overblown. I've enjoyed observing the steady improvement of Ged's voice over the first 11 shows

I resent that.

So don't resent my observations Lorraine, but what you posted is what you posted, I can respond to what you write--it's what we do here:

"Even Geddy seemed half-hearted. When he introduced one song, I got the impression that it was only with reluctance they were doing it, and that it really annoyed them that they had to do it. "

Here are your comments.

Well...what I am about to say will go over here like a lead balloon, but here it goes.

I am glad you wrote what you did. I was able to watch the entire Tulsa show due to the gracious courtesy of a top-notch TRFer.

Something is very much off in Rushland. I was struck by the fact that their heart wasn't in it. The playing was mechanical. It was cold. Neil looked utterly bored and was simply going through the motions. In fact, had I paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I might have been insulted watching him. Alex was the one that pained me the most. It wasn't the Alex we are used to seeing.

I realize that when you go see them there is a lot of emotion and sentiment involved for many here. It would be hard for you to see what I saw. It's not what I was looking for or even expected, especially after hearing all the rave reviews.

I didn't say those things. What you shared is above. The Tulsa show you saw impacted you in such a way you wrote the things posted above. I didn't go as far to say they're nasty or mean. The tone of your post speaks for itself.

:popcorn:

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

It's easy to critique the living daylights out of this tour with every show having multiple videos/vantage points of every song and every show (kinda/sorta now....) being Periscoped.

You can go back to any tour from Rush's past, especially the mid-late 80s tours where the band "seemed to be going through the motions" and say something seemed to be missing. You can do this for any band as well. It's not all peaches and cream for every show.

Having seen three shows on this tour, I can attest a99% of the fans who loves Rush now and is not bitter about them not being the same band they were in 1978 will have a great experience! Sure, Alex and Neil might be fighting through some ailments, but they haven't detracted from any shows. Especially Neil, nothing has changed about his demeanor. He still plays very aggressively and gives it all, even if he is simplifying a part here or there. And Geddy, that man is a machine on bass and sounds refreshingly good with the vocals.

[/fanboi rant]

• Like 4

I resent that.

Here are your comments.

I didn't say those things. What you shared is above. The Tulsa show you saw impacted you in such a way you wrote the things posted above. I didn't go as far to say they're nasty or mean. The tone of your post speaks for itself.

:LOL: But of course not!

I took great care with the wording of that post so as not to ruffle many feathers. I say that because someone will always take offense here at any criticism of Rush. But I did take great care with it.

If you read my post in any other way than how I meant it, that is your problem.

• Like 1

I resent that.

Here are your comments.

:LOL: But of course not!

I took great care with the wording of that post so as not to ruffle many feathers. I say that because someone will always take offense here at any criticism of Rush. But I did take great care with it.

If you read my post in any other way than how I meant it, that is your problem.

I can only read into what you wrote Lorraine. No big deal

You wouldn't. You have an emotional attachment to them.

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(

Ignore this.....it's horse shit message board fodder.

I have seen this band over 30 times in the last 30 years. The second set was the greatest live Rush experience I have had.....bar none.

You will be blown away and enjoy that front row seat.

Rock on man. Again ignore this horse shit fest in here.

Disgusting thread.

They are f***ing over 60 years old....of course Alex will flub, of course Neil is going to labor some.

They sound amazing at this stage of their career......something missing? WTF are you talking about. Look at that set list.....and those who were at Tampa....know exactly how they sounded.

Majestic. They slayed every tune. And Geddy's vox was in top form on that magical evening.

Your going to take the opinion of someone watching a video and not being there....feeling the energy of the live show? LMFAO. Going through the motions? LOL. Not in Tampa. Not in Atlanta according to many reports. Opening night....things are a little more nerve racking and stiffer. You want them running around at their age? I saw Neil and Alex sharing a ton of smiles and laughs in Tampa....it was awesome. Yeah yeah it's one persons opinion.....every one has one....that particular one is such horse shit LOL!!!! But whatever.

Enjoy that front row seat......oh wait I said that already.

This is it........live the moment. Don't analyze it. Feel it, hear it....enjoy it. It may very well be the last time you can. These guys are giving us a love letter set list. This tour is for us.

Not them.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 9

It would CERTAINLY change my view seeing it live....speaking from experience. it just is a different animal.

Mick

It certainly is a different animal, and live is always more exciting than watching a video, but my experience has been that it's no longer exciting enough to warrant going. I was so bored at the CA show that I spent most of the time watching Howard do the lights.

We definitely had different CA experiences. I saw them 6th row in Portland and they were absolutely on fire and I remember thinking "I can't wait for the DVD of this show".

Well we know how that turned out. Wasn't even close to matching the experience.

What's the deal with the CA DVD? I've only watched a couple of snippets from it, but from what I've seen, it seems to have captured very much the essence of the show I saw.

You kinda answered your own question. The essence of the show you saw was boredom. The show I saw was a band firing on all cylinders.

I wonder if you would've said the same thing about the Seattle show?

I don't know. Here is some footage I shot in Portland. The rock was on full display.

http://youtu.be/qSUeUBW5r0E

I just looked at the same song from the Clockwork Angels official video on YouTube and both seem to have about the same energy level, which is about what it was in Seattle.

It would CERTAINLY change my view seeing it live....speaking from experience. it just is a different animal.

Mick

It certainly is a different animal, and live is always more exciting than watching a video, but my experience has been that it's no longer exciting enough to warrant going. I was so bored at the CA show that I spent most of the time watching Howard do the lights.

We definitely had different CA experiences. I saw them 6th row in Portland and they were absolutely on fire and I remember thinking "I can't wait for the DVD of this show".

Well we know how that turned out. Wasn't even close to matching the experience.

What's the deal with the CA DVD? I've only watched a couple of snippets from it, but from what I've seen, it seems to have captured very much the essence of the show I saw.

You kinda answered your own question. The essence of the show you saw was boredom. The show I saw was a band firing on all cylinders.

I wonder if you would've said the same thing about the Seattle show?

I don't know. Here is some footage I shot in Portland. The rock was on full display.

http://youtu.be/qSUeUBW5r0E

I just looked at the same song from the Clockwork Angels official video on YouTube and both seem to have about the same energy level, which is about what it was in Seattle.

I guess we have different definitions of boring. Or I'm just easy to please :)

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(

I have seen this band over 30 times in the last 30 years. The second set was the greatest live Rush experience I have had.....bar none.

Disgusting thread.

They are f***ing over 60 years old....of course Alex will flub, of course Neil is going to labor some.

They sound amazing at this stage of their career......something missing? WTF are you talking about. Look at that set list.....and those who were at Tampa....know exactly how they sounded.

Majestic. They slayed every tune. And Geddy's vox was in top form on that magical evening.

Your going to take the opinion of someone watching a video and not being there....feeling the energy of the live show? LMFAO. Going through the motions? LOL. Not in Tampa. Not in Atlanta according to many reports. Opening night....things are a little more nerve racking and stiffer. You want them running around at their age? I saw Neil and Alex sharing a ton of smiles and laughs in Tampa....it was awesome. Yeah yeah it's one persons opinion.....every one has one....that particular one is such horse shit LOL!!!! But whatever.

This is it........live the moment. Don't analyze it. Feel it, hear it....enjoy it. It may very well be the last time you can. These guys are giving us a love letter set list. This tour is for us.

Not them.

Amen and pass the dinner rolls

Disgusting thread.

Not them.

I echo this Brosaucerous. To see in the faces of the three giving it their all, and delivering. I can't speak for the sound in other parts of the arena, but where I was in the 3rd row they were ripping it a new one ALL NIGHT.

From my vantage point the crowd energy of the first set was far greater than that of the second.

• Like 1

I love reading Lorraine's posts more than I do listening to Clockwork Anges, or Rush live today.

I am sick of all this CA fandom rubbish snapping whenever somebody sways against the tidal wave of gushing.

All Rush fans are proud of the band, that they are here, and they are still doing the best they can, but some of us also see aspects of this stage of their career that is less than satisfying, and see it on a very personal level because they too are around the same age. Why is it we love to agree with all the positive stuff, but the second somebody feels less than satisfied we have to watch one person get picked on over and over and over?!?!?!

I watched the performance of the concert Narps was at the other night via periscope, and chatted about it in the chat thingamy (whatchamacallit), and you know what? IT BLEW ME AWAY!!

Anything else?

I giggled at a horrendous vocal unashamedly: WAAAAAAAAAAAN LEETTTLE VECTOREEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!! And you know what? I wasn't the only one who picked up on the bad vocal moments. It wasn't a deal breaker (that is a tough song to sing), but I will be honest and say I think that was a bad song choice.

They are closing down touring on a worldwide basis for good after this tour for very important reasons. If the band are not blind to them, then how foolish is it that some of us are when it comes to appreciating another forum members views? I am sure that if the member's of Rush were here right now, they would listen to Lorraine and appreciate an honest perspective from her angle (as it wasn't nasty or baseless), as much as they would love the more easily accepted gushing praise (such as mine regarding the EPIC performance of Spirit Of Radio that filled me with so much elation it kept me awake for hours).

CA lovers just get over yourselves and accept that not only do some of us not feel 100% over the moon with this album, or everything about this era, which is an equally joyous (40+years? YIKES! AWESOME!), and bittersweet (40 years? Does it really have to be this close to the end now?), we also still love the band and wish them the best as we continue to follow them and await more news, especially regarding the health of the meembers, who are more than ever visibly in pain just for our enjoyment.

Should we overlook the pain Alex is suffering? No. Appreciate his efforts, yes, but its a very sad sight to see such a great talent winding down in such an awful fashion.

I love reading Lorraine's posts more than I do listening to Clockwork Anges, or Rush live today.

I am sick of all this CA fandom rubbish snapping whenever somebody sways against the tidal wave of gushing.

All Rush fans are proud of the band, that they are here, and they are still doing the best they can, but some of us also see aspects of this stage of their career that is less than satisfying, and see it on a very personal level because they too are around the same age. Why is it we love to agree with all the positive stuff, but the second somebody feels less than satisfied we have to watch one person get picked on over and over and over?!?!?!

I watched the performance of the concert Narps was at the other night via periscope, and chatted about it in the chat thingamy (whatchamacallit), and you know what? IT BLEW ME AWAY!!

Anything else?

I giggled at a horrendous vocal unashamedly: WAAAAAAAAAAAN LEETTTLE VECTOREEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!! And you know what? I wasn't the only one who picked up on the bad vocal moments. It wasn't a deal breaker (that is a tough song to sing), but I will be honest and say I think that was a bad song choice.

They are closing down touring on a worldwide basis for good after this tour for very important reasons. If the band are not blind to them, then how foolish is it that some of us are when it comes to appreciating another forum members views? I am sure that if the member's of Rush were here right now, they would listen to Lorraine and appreciate an honest perspective from her angle (as it wasn't nasty or baseless), as much as they would love the more easily accepted gushing praise (such as mine regarding the EPIC performance of Spirit Of Radio that filled me with so much elation it kept me awake for hours).

CA lovers just get over yourselves and accept that not only do some of us not feel 100% over the moon with this album, or everything about this era, which is an equally joyous (40+years? YIKES! AWESOME!), and bittersweet (40 years? Does it really have to be this close to the end now?), we also still love the band and wish them the best as we continue to follow them and await more news, especially regarding the health of the meembers, who are more than ever visibly in pain just for our enjoyment.

Should we overlook the pain Alex is suffering? No. Appreciate his efforts, yes, but its a very sad sight to see such a great talent winding down in such an awful fashion.

I'm confused. What do CA lovers have to do with this thread?

• Like 2

Anything else?

Dude this isn't about being a CA fanboy...it's about what Lorraine posted. It is OK to react to what she put out there. To say that there isn't something worth putting under the microscope with her post is downright stupid. Shall I highlight them again?

The bold statements are what they are...nothing personal

• Like 2

Anything else?

Dude this isn't about being a CA fanboy...it's about what Lorraine posted. It is OK to react to what she put out there. To say that there isn't something worth putting under the microscope with her post is downright stupid. Shall I highlight them again?

But he loves Lorraine's posts more than current Rush. There is no reasoning with that.

• Like 2

Anything else?

But he loves Lorraine's posts more than current Rush. There is no reasoning with that.

No I love the current Rush more

• Like 1

Anything else?

I am fortunate to be able to multitask... ;)

Anything else?

I can as well Narp. In fact, I can't make sense of Rushman14's post.

Anything else?

you do know I wasn't referring to you?

• Like 1

Anything else?

I do now...my bad.

• Like 1

Anything else?

I do now...my bad.

I thought Rushman was talking about me. Showering for only 2 minutes can't be easy on a person... ;)

Anything else?

I do now...my bad.

I thought Rushman was talking about me. Showering for only 2 minutes can't be easy on a person... ;)

definitely not easy on my GF :LOL:

• Like 2

Anything else?

I do now...my bad.

definitely not easy on my GF :LOL:

:LOL: ...

I have a special and unique way of putting my foot in it.

I might go munch down on some of that turd I am always throwing around

Edited by Segue Myles