Been watching TMT DVD

D3strukt

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

My daughter had on the Palladia channel yesterday and they were rerunning TMT in the afternoon; how strange, I was thinking a lot of these same things. I actually had to go and check the date and couldn't believe it was only 4 years and (and 1 month) ago that it was taped. I won't rehash Alex too much, we all know he is suffering from health issues, but the difference between his performance that night and on this tour really stood out to me. As well as what Lorraine said above, I can't put my finger on it, but yes, something vital is missing, although Geddy seems to be in better voice than he has been in a long time :)

I haven't seen the live show yet on this tour, though, so appreciate the input from Narps, JohnRogers and others, it cheers me up!

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

My daughter had on the Palladia channel yesterday and they were rerunning TMT in the afternoon; how strange, I was thinking a lot of these same things. I actually had to go and check the date and couldn't believe it was only 4 years and (and 1 month) ago that it was taped. I won't rehash Alex too much, we all know he is suffering from health issues, but the difference between his performance that night and on this tour really stood out to me. As well as what Lorraine said above, I can't put my finger on it, but yes, something vital is missing, although Geddy seems to be in better voice than he has been in a long time :)

Geddy does sound very good. Better than during the CA tour. A lot better.

• Like 2

Some of this could be because it's just the beginning of the tour. It will be interesting to see how things play out as time goes on.

Don't get me wrong I thought they sounded great and the "show" itself was great. I hope everyone gets the show I got. Those telescope shows don't do the show any justice whatsoever. It was awesome and better than expected to be honest... :)
  • Like 3

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

You wouldn't. You have an emotional attachment to them.

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

I hear quite the opposite. From the pace of the songs (not slowed down as much as recently) to some playful changes to some great individual performances, they seem like they are giving it what they have and enjoying it, even if Neil and (especially) Alex aren't lighting the world on fire as much as they used to.

It has nothing to do with the pace of songs, or some "playful changes."

I'm not saying they aren't playing well. I wish I could put it into words so you would understand, but I am not doing a good job of it.

They are all professionals and would never go out and give a slip-shod and lazy performance. We know that. But it is how they are playing - without feeling - that is coming through.

I want to say too that I didn't pop the Tulsa show in with the expectation of seeing/hearing this. Quite the contrary. I was expecting something completely different, but I can't deny what I heard and saw.

Some of this could be because it's just the beginning of the tour. It will be interesting to see how things play out as time goes on.

Don't get me wrong I thought they sounded great and the "show" itself was great. I hope everyone gets the show I got. Those telescope shows don't do the show any justice whatsoever. It was awesome and better than expected to be honest... :)

I would think that the first few shows of a tour have to be nerve-wracking. They've got to be concerned whether things will work the way they've planned them to. I'll bet they're loosing up much more now. Sounds like Alex definitely is. His playing sounded much better at the last two shows than it did at the start.

• Like 1

I would think that the first few shows of a tour have to be nerve-wracking. They've got to be concerned whether things will work the way they've planned them to. I'll bet they're loosing up much more now. Sounds like Alex definitely is. His playing sounded much better at the last two shows than it did at the start.

He was playful and smiling with Ged and some with Neil too. I didn't see a difference at all from what i have been used to in the past. Since we aren't in a spoiler thread I won't be specific about songs and things. I hope I haven't already. Geez I had better go back and look at my posts... :scared:
  • Like 2

Whew. That was a close one :sigh: LedRush would have me thrown in the brig if I had mentioned songs and sh*t. So far i haven't f**ked up with any spoilers or anything. Don't want to be part of that club... :codger:
  • Like 2

What's a telescope show? Or is that a spoiler? If so, I don't want to know.

Periscope, not telescope.

Oh, ok. So what's a periscope show? Unless its a spoiler. :D

I still have to wait one month for my gig (MSG) but I'm already sure that in ten years - probably less - I'd sell my soul to attend another show like that (even though Mephistopheles has just said that he's not interested in buying it anyway; it's coming freely....)
  • Like 1

Well...what I am about to say will go over here like a lead balloon, but here it goes.

I am glad you wrote what you did. I was able to watch the entire Tulsa show due to the gracious courtesy of a top-notch TRFer.

Something is very much off in Rushland. I was struck by the fact that their heart wasn't in it. The playing was mechanical. It was cold. Neil looked utterly bored and was simply going through the motions. In fact, had I paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I might have been insulted watching him. Even Geddy seemed half-hearted. When he introduced one song, I got the impression that it was only with reluctance they were doing it, and that it really annoyed them that they had to do it. Alex was the one that pained me the most. It wasn't the Alex we are used to seeing.

I realize that when you go see them there is a lot of emotion and sentiment involved for many here. It would be hard for you to see what I saw. It's not what I was looking for or even expected, especially after hearing all the rave reviews.

Total bs!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

Well...what I am about to say will go over here like a lead balloon, but here it goes.

I am glad you wrote what you did. I was able to watch the entire Tulsa show due to the gracious courtesy of a top-notch TRFer.

Something is very much off in Rushland. I was struck by the fact that their heart wasn't in it. The playing was mechanical. It was cold. Neil looked utterly bored and was simply going through the motions. In fact, had I paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket, I might have been insulted watching him. Even Geddy seemed half-hearted. When he introduced one song, I got the impression that it was only with reluctance they were doing it, and that it really annoyed them that they had to do it. Alex was the one that pained me the most. It wasn't the Alex we are used to seeing.

I realize that when you go see them there is a lot of emotion and sentiment involved for many here. It would be hard for you to see what I saw. It's not what I was looking for or even expected, especially after hearing all the rave reviews.

Total bs!!!!!!!!

BS? Why is that?

I must say, it was the greatest concert experience of my life. I've seen Rush about 15 times or so, and this was by far the best: the crowd was into it more than at any other show, the setlist was by far the best, Geddy's vocals were great. I mean, I liked meeting you and everything, but the show was the big star for me. In a live concert setting I don't mind small miscues like many Rush fans obsess over (in fact, I almost like it as I like Rush to change things up...if I wanted to hear the record I'd stay at home) so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't mind little miscues either, frankly most would get by me unnoticed. I haven’t missed a tour since Signals, which doesn’t mean I’m a bigger fan just more of fossil compared to you. Something of the concert experience was just off IMO.

Again I’m unsure what it is. My seats were horrible, cramped, bad sight lines, heat and vomit. I have real issues with the first half set list, which has been discussed in other threads. I also felt the “energy” of the band was lower. Was my problem with the show one of the issues above, some or all? That is why I need to see the show again, to find that answer. So MSG with the friends and family visit and Denver for a Rocky Mountain High assessment is the plan.

• Like 1

Total bs!!!!!!!!

BS? Why is that?

The Tulsa gig was great, nothing wrong with the playing or interaction among the band. Some people are intent on dissing everything they do, perhaps these people should attend a concert and report back :facepalm:
  • Like 2

Periscope is a program that people have been using on their phones to broadcast a live feed of the concert. We've been watching the live shows ever since Tulsa.

Periscope is a program that people have been using on their phones to broadcast a live feed of the concert. We've been watching the live shows ever since Tulsa.

Thanks Eagle. Hadn't heard of that. But I am avoiding that forum.
  • Like 1

It only looks like its coming through a telescope... ;)

It only looks like its coming through a telescope... ;)

With epilepsy.

• Like 1

I've only watched the first half of the Tulsa show so far. Maybe they were "locked in" concentration wise since it was opening night.

I didn't read much into anything as I enjoyed the show.

• Like 1

Total bs!!!!!!!!

BS? Why is that?

The Tulsa gig was great, nothing wrong with the playing or interaction among the band. Some people are intent on dissing everything they do, perhaps these people should attend a concert and report back :facepalm:

I'm at a loss as to how to respond to your ignorant post.

Total bs!!!!!!!!

BS? Why is that?

Because............RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) :D

Mick

Total bs!!!!!!!!

BS? Why is that?

Because............RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) :D

Mick

Edit: I deleted my original comment. Trust me when i say I don't need the aggravation.

Edited by Lorraine

Whew. That was a close one :sigh: LedRush would have me thrown in the brig if I had mentioned songs and sh*t. So far i haven't f**ked up with any spoilers or anything. Don't want to be part of that club... :codger:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1itsg87X61rn95k2o1_500.jpg