Been watching TMT DVD

D3strukt

Can I just say that Lorraine is entitled to voice her opinion and how she sees things is in many ways close to my point of view.

And in certain ways, Lorraine's opinion is perhaps one of the most relevant. For someone like me, who has seen Rush since Hemispheres, it's easy to look at videos of the current tour and see that this band is a far cry from the energy and enthusiasm of early Rush, but Lorraine has never seen Rush live; all her Rush-watching experience is limited to videos of the band. If she's able to discern the lack of energy from the current videos relative to videos of earlier tours, then I think she's probably on to something.

I concur but the second half of the show I saw the other night was well worth doing for an old fan like me. It did truly bring me back to another place and time. I am glad I did it and it didn't soil any memories at all from the past, it only reminded me of some. Honestly the term "shells of their former selves" never even crossed my mind. If this is it, I am good... :codger:

I'm glad you had a good time, Narps. I sincerely mean that.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I know you have long since been done with them but I wish you would reconsider and go if you can or have the chance... :)

I've seen almost every tour since Hemispheres through CA (the p/g tour being the lone exception -- and that was only due to a matter of funding and distance). I was keeping this tour on my radar, not wanting to pull the trigger until I'd seen the set list (which has some choice songs on it) and early videos. It's those early videos that were the determining factor for me. Perhaps if I went I would, like you, get swept up in the excitement of it all, but I think I know myself well enough to have serious doubts about that -- I walked out on CA before the encore, after all. ;)

JARG, you have watched the videos from this tour? What do you think?

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

You wouldn't. You have an emotional attachment to them.

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(

Seriously man, I feel the same way. I have been avoiding all setlist spoilers, etc., and am seeing them this Saturday in Virginia. I've been so excited to see them again, having seen them on TMT and CA, but now I'm just getting depressed hearing the reports. I'm getting a vision in my head of three old guys on walkers who sound like crap now. I hope I'm way off base.

Dude I'm reading Lorraine's posts and others here...we gotta remember it was the FIRST night. Bugs can popped up. Freak shit can throw you off your game.

Lorraine, when has Neil ever looked less than mechanical and unemotional doing his job? What he's doing is like running a marathon and solving equations--his words. Every song he plays is hard to replicate.

Tombstone, it is more so than ever with Neil. He appeared to me to be annoyed with every hit of the drum. The video I have is excellent and up close.

Once again, my observations are not on their playing. It is a certain "spirit" that is missing from them as a whole that I picked up on. I believe I already posted here that i think Geddy sounds better than ever. I didn't even cringe when he did Tom Sawyer. (I don't consider this a "spoiler" - everyone knows they would do THAT song :)) Poor Alex seems to be concentrating so hard on his playing, that he had no time to be playful even though Ged tried to engage him many times.

Anyway, I gave my honest reaction. It doesn't mean I don't love them.

Alex is the hardest for me to watch personally. he looks in pain with every strum and solo. just hard to watch.

Mick

• Like 2

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(

Seriously man, I feel the same way. I have been avoiding all setlist spoilers, etc., and am seeing them this Saturday in Virginia. I've been so excited to see them again, having seen them on TMT and CA, but now I'm just getting depressed hearing the reports. I'm getting a vision in my head of three old guys on walkers who sound like crap now. I hope I'm way off base.

Dude I'm reading Lorraine's posts and others here...we gotta remember it was the FIRST night. Bugs can popped up. Freak shit can throw you off your game.

Lorraine, when has Neil ever looked less than mechanical and unemotional doing his job? What he's doing is like running a marathon and solving equations--his words. Every song he plays is hard to replicate.

Tombstone, it is more so than ever with Neil. He appeared to me to be annoyed with every hit of the drum.

You don't think he was just being in the zone. BTW, at one point Neil said his Mom even mentioned the neex for smiles

Tombstone, it is more so than ever with Neil. He appeared to me to be annoyed with every hit of the drum. The video I have is excellent and up close.

Once again, my observations are not on their playing. It is a certain "spirit" that is missing from them as a whole that I picked up on. I believe I already posted here that i think Geddy sounds better than ever. I didn't even cringe when he did Tom Sawyer. (I don't consider this a "spoiler" - everyone knows they would do THAT song :)) Poor Alex seems to be concentrating so hard on his playing, that he had no time to be playful even though Ged tried to engage him many times.

Anyway, I gave my honest reaction. It doesn't mean I don't love them.

Alex is the hardest for me to watch personally. he looks in pain with every strum and solo. just hard to watch.

Mick

Agreed but he looked to be having some fun during the show I saw. I do agree however that what he is doing seems harder than ever for him. It has to hurt and as I have posted before, bless him for his effort... :)
  • Like 1

The videos never capture the energy in the auditorium. What I've seen doesn't look much different from the performances of the last 8 years. I guess I will find out at the end of July.

Can I just say that Lorraine is entitled to voice her opinion and how she sees things is in many ways close to my point of view.

And in certain ways, Lorraine's opinion is perhaps one of the most relevant. For someone like me, who has seen Rush since Hemispheres, it's easy to look at videos of the current tour and see that this band is a far cry from the energy and enthusiasm of early Rush, but Lorraine has never seen Rush live; all her Rush-watching experience is limited to videos of the band. If she's able to discern the lack of energy from the current videos relative to videos of earlier tours, then I think she's probably on to something.

I concur but the second half of the show I saw the other night was well worth doing for an old fan like me. It did truly bring me back to another place and time. I am glad I did it and it didn't soil any memories at all from the past, it only reminded me of some. Honestly the term "shells of their former selves" never even crossed my mind. If this is it, I am good... :codger:

I'm glad you had a good time, Narps. I sincerely mean that.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I know you have long since been done with them but I wish you would reconsider and go if you can or have the chance... :)

I've seen almost every tour since Hemispheres through CA (the p/g tour being the lone exception -- and that was only due to a matter of funding and distance). I was keeping this tour on my radar, not wanting to pull the trigger until I'd seen the set list (which has some choice songs on it) and early videos. It's those early videos that were the determining factor for me. Perhaps if I went I would, like you, get swept up in the excitement of it all, but I think I know myself well enough to have serious doubts about that -- I walked out on CA before the encore, after all. ;)

JARG, you have watched the videos from this tour? What do you think?

I think I'll be OK not seeing this tour. Yes, there are two songs in the set list that I'd very much like to see, but performed by a different (younger) version of Rush. I really hate to say that. Rush will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Like 2

The videos never capture the energy in the auditorium. What I've seen doesn't look much different from the performances of the last 8 years. I guess I will find out at the end of July.

This is why Lorraine's perspective is so relevant. She has no "energy in the auditorium" memories to compare the videos against. She's comparing apples to apples.

• Like 1

It would CERTAINLY change my view seeing it live....speaking from experience. it just is a different animal.

Mick

It certainly is a different animal, and live is always more exciting than watching a video, but my experience has been that it's no longer exciting enough to warrant going. I was so bored at the CA show that I spent most of the time watching Howard do the lights.

• Like 1

It would CERTAINLY change my view seeing it live....speaking from experience. it just is a different animal.

Mick

For how long? Once the emotion died down and out, you would be back to looking at it as it really is sans being colored by sentiment and/or emotion.

Did you go see them when they did the CA tour? If not, maybe you should have. Maybe you'd be riding front seat with Tombstone on his bandwagon. :)

• Like 1

Mick

For how long? Once the emotion died down and out, you would be back to looking at it as it really is sans being colored by sentiment and/or emotion.

Did you go see them when they did the CA tour? If not, maybe you should have. Maybe you'd be riding front seat with Tombstone on his bandwagon. :)

hey gloves down, lol. :P

but live does have a drug like effect, lol. It's just a fact. but yes......it does wear off.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

but live does have a drug like effect, lol. It's just a fact. but yes......it does wear off.

Mick

I know it has a drug like effect. As an aside, in my life, it took me a while to learn to never make a decision under the influence of that effect but to wait until it had died off. :codger:

Have some hugs: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Mick

Mick

I know it has a drug like effect. As an aside, in my life, it took me a while to learn to never make a decision under the influence of that effect but to wait until it had died off. :codger:

:hug2:

you know me i'm always honest. and you can bet i won't hold back either way when we get a DVD, lol

Mick

Mick

It certainly is a different animal, and live is always more exciting than watching a video, but my experience has been that it's no longer exciting enough to warrant going. I was so bored at the CA show that I spent most of the time watching Howard do the lights.

Listening to all that CA stuff I can certainly understand that. I am glad I didn't see that one. It would have been S & A tour all over again. Staring at the peoples @sses standing in front of me for half the show. This one was different save for the first half of the first set. I sat down some during that I will admit. Having said that I stood for the rest of the show and it was well worth it (sorry TM love ya anyway)... :codger: Edited by Narps

Mick

Mick

:hug2:

you know me i'm always honest. and you can bet i won't hold back either way when we get a DVD, lol

Mick

Damn I hope they make a good one of this show. Wish they had taped the show I went to. Ged couldn't have been better (for 2015) and I thought the playing was on point...
  • Like 1

Mick

Listening to all that CA stuff I can certainly understand that. I am glad I didn't see that one. It would have been S & A tour all over again. Staring at the peoples @sses standing in front of me for half the show. This one was different save for the first half of the first set. I sat down some during that I will admit. having said that I stood for the rest of the show and it was well worth it (sorry TM love ya anyway)... :codger:

I really did love the heavy 80's leanings of the CA tour. but yea the CA set :zzz: sorry Tombstone, lol

Mick

Damn I hope they make a good one of this show. Wish they had taped the show I went to. Ged couldn't have been better (for 2015) and I thought the playing was on point...

Yeah, the whole show idea is so unique (don't think that is a spoiler :) ) I hope they do it justice when they tape and produce it and I hope Ged continues to sound as good as he has been sounding!

• Like 3

Yeah, the whole show idea is so unique (don't think that is a spoiler :) ) I hope they do it justice when they tape and produce it and I hope Ged continues to sound as good as he has been sounding!

Alas I have a feeling they won't. One thing I am learning about myself as I age. My cynical and pessimistic meter are pegged most of the time. Don't like it but its true. I am losing faith in many things...

Mick

We definitely had different CA experiences. I saw them 6th row in Portland and they were absolutely on fire and I remember thinking "I can't wait for the DVD of this show".

Well we know how that turned out. Wasn't even close to matching the experience.

• Like 2

Alas I have a feeling they won't. One thing I am learning about myself as I age. My cynical and pessimistic meter are pegged most of the time. Don't like it but its true. I am losing faith in many things...

You come across as a pretty positive likeable guy! I'm sorry worldly forces are bringing out the cynicism, but then again I am usually optimistic on Fridays! :)

Mick

We definitely had different CA experiences. I saw them 6th row in Portland and they were absolutely on fire and I remember thinking "I can't wait for the DVD of this show".

What's the deal with the CA DVD? I've only watched a couple of snippets from it, but from what I've seen, it seems to have captured very much the essence of the show I saw.

You come across as a pretty positive likeable guy!

Thanks... :)
  • Like 1

Mick

What's the deal with the CA DVD? I've only watched a couple of snippets from it, but from what I've seen, it seems to have captured very much the essence of the show I saw.

:popcorn: This may take a while... :)

Mick

:popcorn: This may take a while... :)

Or maybe not. If the complaints about the CA DVD are that Geddy can't sing and the show was pretty boring, then I think that'll confirm it was very much representative of the show.