Been watching TMT DVD

D3strukt

Can I just say that Lorraine is entitled to voice her opinion and how she sees things is in many ways close to my point of view.

Some guys need to learn how to agree to disagree. No amount of ridicule will change how she honestly feels. Be kind. Banter, but be kind.

Yep. Be kind and agree to disagree. Being realistic and not being blinded by love for the band wouldn't hurt either. I hate to make general statements but here goes.... The older folks around here overall seem to have no problem keeping it real while the youthful have more trouble with it. There are exceptions to every rule of course... :codger:

"I might be 12 years old, but trust me, rush is as good as ever!"

• Like 1

I guess I suck as a critical fan because I thought the show I saw (St Paul) was incredible, so much so that I'm seeing another show and driving 450 miles each way to see it and I'm not regretting a single second of it.
  • Like 9

I guess I suck as a critical fan because I thought the show I saw (St Paul) was incredible, so much so that I'm seeing another show and driving 450 miles each way to see it and I'm not regretting a single second of it.

Don't blame you. If I had planned well enough I would be in Greensboro right now... :(
  • Like 1

fanboy!

• Like 1

Good for you! I want to join but sadly I can't.

• Like 1

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

You wouldn't. You have an emotional attachment to them.

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(

Don't give up on having a great time at your concert. :eyeroll: This is all subjective, as you should know if you have spent lots of time here on TRF, there are multiple opinions and reactions to whatever is being discussed here. I am going to go and enjoy the show and not let other things I have heard here weigh on my mind or color my perceptions. So go and plan to enjoy yourself ok? :dweez:

• Like 4

I've been one of the Negative Nellies in this thread. They are worth seeing, it's just I've seen them better.

I probably have too but I have never seen them for most likely the last time either. The second half is worth the price of admission without "spoiling" anything. Gave me chills to be honest... :)

Now you're really getting me pumped! :rush:

• Like 2

I've been one of the Negative Nellies in this thread. They are worth seeing, it's just I've seen them better.

I probably have too but I have never seen them for most likely the last time either. The second half is worth the price of admission without "spoiling" anything. Gave me chills to be honest... :)

Now you're really getting me pumped! :rush:

Good. You will have a great time. That goes for you too Pound Of Obscure. Not to worry. This one is for the old schoolers... :dweez: :codger:
  • Like 4

I have seen videos and such on youtube from this tour and I must say that Geddy is doing some 70s songs better now then what he did back then! He sounds great!

Dude sorry but no no and no. He is trying his @ss off and sounded much better than expected the other night in Atlanta but not even close to back in the day. You can dream all you want to be honest. He sounded good for 2015 and 61 years old and that is it. You can continue to hold that opinion obviously and good luck with that... :sigh:

Yeah, he's nowhere NEAR what he used to be, but he's singing better than he has for several years and he's hitting the notes he's going for this tour, which is awesome. Even though a lot of stuff is tuned down, at least they're giving it their best shot. I hate to say "considering their age" because it seems like people keep saying that, but it's a major factor. They're not 20 any more. I'm just thankful we still have all of the great music they've put out over the years. It'll never get old.

• Like 5

I have seen videos and such on youtube from this tour and I must say that Geddy is doing some 70s songs better now then what he did back then! He sounds great!

Dude sorry but no no and no. He is trying his @ss off and sounded much better than expected the other night in Atlanta but not even close to back in the day. You can dream all you want to be honest. He sounded good for 2015 and 61 years old and that is it. You can continue to hold that opinion obviously and good luck with that... :sigh:

Yeah, he's nowhere NEAR what he used to be, but he's singing better than he has for several years and he's hitting the notes he's going for this tour, which is awesome. Even though a lot of stuff is tuned down, at least they're giving it their best shot. I hate to say "considering their age" because it seems like people keep saying that, but it's a major factor. They're not 20 any more. I'm just thankful we still have all of the great music they've put out over the years. It'll never get old.

What are you talking about? Geds playing IS as good as it's ever been. How is he nowhere near what he used to be? Vocally yes, but playing wise he's right there. Maybe even better because there is a certain maturity in his playing now.

What are you talking about? Geds playing IS as good as it's ever been. How is he nowhere near what he used to be? Vocally yes, but playing wise he's right there. Maybe even better because there is a certain maturity in his playing now.

I was talking about his vocal ability, not his playing, which I agree is better than ever.

• Like 3

I've heard two shows from R40 so far, the Tulsa gig and St Paul's, and I enjoyed both. When I say heard, I of course mean via a recording on YouTube.

I'm no expert on the band's performances, but I personally felt that Geddy sounded better than the Clockwork Angels Tour, even though he was obviously struggling on a few songs. Still, I don't really notice, as the guy is 61 and still kicks ass. His playing is amazing as ever.

Neil was thundering away as usual, can't say much about him 'going through the motions' as he was mostly hidden from view in the video I saw. Alex definitely seemed less animated than usual, and he made a few mistakes, although he's only human and the guy is obviously in pain from his arthritis.

Overall I was really impressed though, and would go to a show in heartbeat if I could afford it. :)

Edited by CountFloyd84

Can I just say that Lorraine is entitled to voice her opinion and how she sees things is in many ways close to my point of view.

And in certain ways, Lorraine's opinion is perhaps one of the most relevant. For someone like me, who has seen Rush since Hemispheres, it's easy to look at videos of the current tour and see that this band is a far cry from the energy and enthusiasm of early Rush, but Lorraine has never seen Rush live; all her Rush-watching experience is limited to videos of the band. If she's able to discern the lack of energy from the current videos relative to videos of earlier tours, then I think she's probably on to something.

• Like 1

And in certain ways, Lorraine's opinion is perhaps one of the most relevant. For someone like me, who has seen Rush since Hemispheres, it's easy to look at videos of the current tour and see that this band is a far cry from the energy and enthusiasm of early Rush, but Lorraine has never seen Rush live; all her Rush-watching experience is limited to videos of the band. If she's able to discern the lack of energy from the current videos relative to videos of earlier tours, then I think she's probably on to something.

I concur but the second half of the show I saw the other night was well worth doing for an old fan like me. It did truly bring me back to another place and time. I am glad I did it and it didn't soil any memories at all from the past, it only reminded me of some. Honestly the term "shells of their former selves" never even crossed my mind. If this is it, I am good... :codger:
  • Like 2

I concur but the second half of the show I saw the other night was well worth doing for an old fan like me. It did truly bring me back to another place and time. I am glad I did it and it didn't soil any memories at all from the past, it only reminded me of some. Honestly the term "shells of their former selves" never even crossed my mind. If this is it, I am good... :codger:

I'm glad you had a good time, Narps. I sincerely mean that.

• Like 1

Thanks. Much appreciated. I know you have long since been done with them but I wish you would reconsider and go if you can or have the chance... :)

alex and neil are clearly in pain, yes. neil doesn't smile and act like keith moon in ESL either, so I wouldn't expect it in 2015. as for alex, his situation really is a bummer.

This year marks 38 years that i have been watching the band perform live. Neil has always been stone faced. He has even addressed it saying the tunes require a lot of concentration on his part.

• Like 5

alex and neil are clearly in pain, yes. neil doesn't smile and act like keith moon in ESL either, so I wouldn't expect it in 2015. as for alex, his situation really is a bummer.

This year marks 38 years that i have been watching the band perform live. Neil has always been stone faced. He has even addressed it saying the tunes require a lot of concentration on his part.

I would think so. if i had to play those songs nightly i wouldn't be smiling either. It's amazing he's still pulling it off.

Mick

Just want to add what made it worse for me, for whatever reason, was the "greatest hits" aspect of the show.

The beginning of the second set. Agreed but they really played great and looked to be having fun. Not sure what happened in Tulsa but I didn't get any of that in Atlanta... :huh:

What I meant was i haven't seen anything from Tulsa so I don't know how bad it was...

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. But there is something vital missing from these three men this tour, and it comes through. It seemed to me that they are all going through the motions, but their heart is far from what they are doing. I could hear it from their instruments.

I hate to hear this. I'm front row for the first time (and obviously the last) for Columbus. Dream come true for me and they either don't feel well enough to be there or just don't want to be there. :(

Seriously man, I feel the same way. I have been avoiding all setlist spoilers, etc., and am seeing them this Saturday in Virginia. I've been so excited to see them again, having seen them on TMT and CA, but now I'm just getting depressed hearing the reports. I'm getting a vision in my head of three old guys on walkers who sound like crap now. I hope I'm way off base.

Dude I'm reading Lorraine's posts and others here...we gotta remember it was the FIRST night. Bugs can popped up. Freak shit can throw you off your game.

Lorraine, when has Neil ever looked less than mechanical and unemotional doing his job? What he's doing is like running a marathon and solving equations--his words. Every song he plays is hard to replicate.

I have to say i'm not to fond of set 1 at all. but i think set 2 is easily theeir best in a while. i love it.

Mick

I enjoyed that set more than the second...and I had the time of my life

• Like 1

Thanks. Much appreciated. I know you have long since been done with them but I wish you would reconsider and go if you can or have the chance... :)

I've seen almost every tour since Hemispheres through CA (the p/g tour being the lone exception -- and that was only due to a matter of funding and distance). I was keeping this tour on my radar, not wanting to pull the trigger until I'd seen the set list (which has some choice songs on it) and early videos. It's those early videos that were the determining factor for me. Perhaps if I went I would, like you, get swept up in the excitement of it all, but I think I know myself well enough to have serious doubts about that -- I walked out on CA before the encore, after all. ;)

• Like 1

I've seen almost every tour since Hemispheres through CA (the p/g tour being the lone exception -- and that was only due to a matter of funding and distance). I was keeping this tour on my radar, not wanting to pull the trigger until I'd seen the set list (which has some choice songs on it) and early videos. It's those early videos that were the determining factor for me. Perhaps if I went I would, like you, get swept up in the excitement of it all, but I think I know myself well enough to have serious doubts about that -- I walked out on CA before the encore, after all. ;)

Sincerely sorry JARG I didn't know. I was under the impression for some reason you hadn't seen them in a long time. :smash: My bad. I was bored during most of the Snakes & Arrows show I went to. Way to much new material for my taste. This show however was everything I could have hoped for and more...

Seriously man, I feel the same way. I have been avoiding all setlist spoilers, etc., and am seeing them this Saturday in Virginia. I've been so excited to see them again, having seen them on TMT and CA, but now I'm just getting depressed hearing the reports. I'm getting a vision in my head of three old guys on walkers who sound like crap now. I hope I'm way off base.

Dude I'm reading Lorraine's posts and others here...we gotta remember it was the FIRST night. Bugs can popped up. Freak shit can throw you off your game.

Lorraine, when has Neil ever looked less than mechanical and unemotional doing his job? What he's doing is like running a marathon and solving equations--his words. Every song he plays is hard to replicate.

Tombstone, it is more so than ever with Neil. He appeared to me to be annoyed with every hit of the drum. The video I have is excellent and up close.

Once again, my observations are not on their playing. It is a certain "spirit" that is missing from them as a whole that I picked up on. I believe I already posted here that i think Geddy sounds better than ever. I didn't even cringe when he did Tom Sawyer. (I don't consider this a "spoiler" - everyone knows they would do THAT song :)) Poor Alex seems to be concentrating so hard on his playing, that he had no time to be playful even though Ged tried to engage him many times.

Anyway, I gave my honest reaction. It doesn't mean I don't love them.

• Like 2