Alex Lifeson vs Brian May

YYZumbi

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the best guitar player?

• Alex Lifeson from Rush
    • Brian May from Queen

May creates little guitar symphonies, and you know a lot of hard work goes into what he lays down. I'm blown away by the little dixieland jazz combo at the end of Good Company, for example - every single horn is actually guitar. I think that both players also put a lot of feeling into their solos - both can raise neck hairs. But there is a certain something about Lifeson's stuff, a unique inventiveness to the riffs that I don't think compares to many other folks.
  • Like 2

May creates little guitar symphonies, and you know a lot of hard work goes into what he lays down. I'm blown away by the little dixieland jazz combo at the end of Good Company, for example - every single horn is actually guitar. I think that both players also put a lot of feeling into their solos - both can raise neck hairs. But there is a certain something about Lifeson's stuff, a unique inventiveness to the riffs that I don't think compares to many other folks.

Good Company blows my mind every time.

Mick

• Like 4

Mick

^^^ Agreed 1000%...
  • Like 3

Mick

^^^ Agreed 1000%...

Never Heard alex do that. don't know if he can........but he never did it. lol

I'll finally picking it......May for me.

Mick

• Like 1

I picked Alex because of his influence on my own playing. Alex is much better at using space than May is, but this is pretty much required since he plays in a trio.

In a sense, yes, it is hard to compare the two because of their differing styles. May's style seems a lot more composed than Alex's, who relies on raw emotion and spontaneity. He relies a lot more on scales and guitar harmonies. Mick said it earlier, May was arguably better and more innovative in the 70's, until at least around Hemispheres. Alex was pretty derivative on Page and Clapton until somewhere around AFTK and Hemispheres when he started to distance himself from the rest and create his own style. From there on out, Alex all the way. Some brilliant guitar work in the 80's and he continued in the 90's and added more balls to it (Cut To The Chase :haz:) May hasn't changed one bit throughout Queen's career. That's not a bad thing, because he wrote some of their finest stuff in the later period like I Want It All, but it doesn't gain him any points as a guitarist.

A lot of people say Alex is declining in the 21st century. Live, certainly. That happens when you're having arthritis issues since the R30 tour, and it's nothing short of a miracle that Geddy is playing bass better and better with each passing album. His bass playing seems to be the only thing about them that never ages for the worse. While Alex is declining technically on the stage, his raw emotion is still very prominent in his playing, and he's capable of writing some of the most beautiful stuff in the studio. I think his solo in The Garden is one of his finest in his 40 year career.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

Alex for the massive amount of quality work he gave us until yesterday (some Queen albums are average); last Brian May's great effort is now a quarter of a century old (and most remembered for Steve Howe's flamenco solo)

Not sure who is technically the better player, but I'd rather listen to Alex Lifeson than Brian May.

^ This. I respect Queen as a great band, even though I've never been a big fan of them. There's something about May's tone that I've never liked that much.

This is a battle between two of my favorite guitar players.

Alex Lifeson from Rush vs Brian May from Queen

Who do you think is the best guitar player?

Yes.

• Like 2

Yes.

Steve Howe isn't in the poll ;-)

• Like 2

Yes.

:laughing guy:

good answer.

Mick

It bears repetition: choosing between May and Lifeson is akin to choosing which brother I love more. Therefore, the diplomatic solution comes into play. :D

Are we here again???

Which do you like more and why? lions vs tigers

Tigers because lions are either lazy bastards who eventually get beaten up by another lion and kicked out of the pride (males) or they have to do all the work (females) while the lazy bastard just lies around. Tigers stalk their prey alone and they don't need any help.

• Like 1

Are we here again???

Tigers because lions are either lazy bastards who eventually get beaten up by another lion and kicked out of the pride (males) or they have to do all the work (females) while the lazy bastard just lies around. Tigers stalk their prey alone and they don't need any help.

Is Lifeson a lion or a tiger? How about May?

Are we here again???

Is Lifeson a lion or a tiger? How about May?

They're both tigers I'd say, but Lifeson might be more of a lion. Hey and don't show this to Your_Lion!

• Like 1