CA Live = Ear Fatigue

Captain Avatar

Hey, laughed at...I realize the greatness of the songs themselves. But you really have to work to listen to them.

The production may not be great, or even good, but the greatness of the songs transcends it.

• Like 2

Hey, laughed at...I realize the greatness of the songs themselves. But you really have to work to listen to them.

^^^^ This but I would add the "goodness" of half of the songs. The great songs are The Garden and Halo Effect. They are easy to listen to but as you say the others take great effort... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

A late career renaissance? Production aside, CA is an insult to music. It's as if the band deliberately refuse to write anything that even resembles songs anymore in an act of obstinate defiance. It's a wall of noise. And that's being overly generous.

Are you sure you're not talking about the funereal effort prior to their comeback?

Rush never "came back" mate, they just f****d off decades ago laughing all the way to the bank.

Britten had a late career renaissance with Death In Venice. Ditto Janacek with Katya Kabanova. Rush just pandered to the lowest common denominator to prop up their retirement fund. After all, Geddy's wine cellar won't pay for itself will it?

You like CA, I don't. Neither of us is wrong. It's what makes the world turn.

Edited by Turbine Freight

A late career renaissance? Production aside, CA is an insult to music. It's as if the band deliberately refuse to write anything that even resembles songs anymore in an act of obstinate defiance. It's a wall of noise. And that's being overly generous.

Are you sure you're not talking about the funereal effort prior to their comeback?

Rush never "came back" mate, they just f****d off decades ago laughing all the way to the bank.

Britten had a late career renaissance with Death In Venice. Ditto Janacek with Katya Kabanova. Rush just pandered to the lowest common denominator to prop up their retirement fund. After all, Geddy's wine cellar won't pay for itself will it?

You like CA, I don't. Neither of us is wrong. It's what makes the world turn.

I'm not wrong, just the lowest common denominator I guess. :wacko:

Songs from CA I liked from the first listen: the title track, Headlong Flight, The Garden, BU2B and Caravan. Halo Effect I still don't like very much. My opinion on 7COG varies from time to time, and I grew to love all the others.

CA is a very "noisy" album and not in a good way. I don't dislike the songs, I'd give Caravan, Headlong Flight, The Anarchist and Halo Effect a good 6/12 - 7 out of a scale of 10, but the mix is just bad. It's like listening to a jackhammer on the street next to your house. Isn't very long before you just want to climb the walls.

As for CA production Nick should be FIRED! JMO

Nick has become very famous. Good for him. Sadly for my ears he is certainly overrated.

I like the S&A production. That's about it.

Clockwork Angels sounds the way it does because the band WANTED it to sound that way. Nick did what THEY wanted. It's one of the most unique sounding records they've made.

If they wanted it to sound that way, they need hearing aids.

Or at the very least, a better sense of humour. The joke fell flat.

• Like 1

CA is a very "noisy" album and not in a good way. I don't dislike the songs, I'd give Caravan, Headlong Flight, The Anarchist and Halo Effect a good 6/12 - 7 out of a scale of 10, but the mix is just bad. It's like listening to a jackhammer on the street next to your house. Isn't very long before you just want to climb the walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrtHrW9n_cw

Nick has become very famous. Good for him. Sadly for my ears he is certainly overrated.

Clockwork Angels sounds the way it does because the band WANTED it to sound that way. Nick did what THEY wanted. It's one of the most unique sounding records they've made.

CP was the funnier album, lol

Great joke songs on that one.

CA was just sick and cruel, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Cruel in the sense that they wasted the previous 27 or so years of their career with lite rock classics when they were capable of something like CA.

Mick

Cruel in the sense that they wasted the previous 27 or so years of their career with lite rock classics when they were capable of something like CA.

CA is pretty light rock classic. Think Rick Astley. :D

• Like 1

Mick

no no no no..........cruel in that it sucked. big time.

Mick

• Like 1

But seriously, ear fatigue comes from too little dynamic range. Lack of light and shade. Vinyl usually has a larger dynamic range than CD which is why that medium is more forgiving. I've heard that reel to reel tape has even more dynamic range.

The material on CA is great but if you had your young days in the 70s or 80s I can understand why your ears can't cope with the modern sound of Rush.

The first four tracks are fine but then I end up skipping to The Garden because the sound becomes 'wearing'. Have Hemispheres on SACD and bought the reissue vinyl for the poster that I lost from the original. Broon did such an amazing job, it all sounds loud and clear. I can't handle Geddy's voice on those middle tracks from Carnies to BU2B2, it's a weird wail and that wall of sound is too full on.
  • Like 1

I was watching the CA Live Blu Ray disc today and could only make it through the first six songs or so before I needed to turn it off due to ear fatigue.

I don't know what the culprit is, be it post-concert mixing or simply the way their instruments sound live nowadays, but it's like a cacophony of sound, without much instrument separation, IMO. I can barely discern Geddy's bass, and Neil's drums sound pretty bad, too, IMO.

I think this plagues CA studio album to a degree as well. It's especially noticeable since I've been listening to a lot of early material, like Caress of Steel and A Farewell to Kings, where each instrument is crystal clear, and you can hear every one of Neil's ghost notes, etc.

I'd love to see them return to that kind of instrument separation, simply so I can enjoy listening to their newest stuff. I think CA has some great songs on it. I just wish I didn't get so damn tired listening to it!

Yeah, it's pretty awful. REALLY hope a new sound engineer works on the Toronto recording for this tour.

Mick

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

And CA is worthy of a 27 year dip, a dip which you still claim saw the release of classics?

CA fans are worse than Bieber fans. I swear, reading these sorts of comments is like going through any random YouTube comment section.

Mick

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

And CA is worthy of a 27 year dip, a dip which you still claim saw the release of classics?

CA fans are worse than Bieber fans. I swear, reading these sorts of comments is like going through any random YouTube comment section.

Yeah, the lite rock comment was only applicable to the PoW, HYF, presto era of Fogelbergian missteps. CP, T4E, and VT (the latter of which is actually very good) were despite their inability to measure up to the greatness of the pre PoW era, not lite rock).

For you, the most flighty poster ( in a musical sense ) that exists on this forum to compare anyone to a Bieber fan just shows that your sense of self awareness is as undeveloped as your hero's musical ability.

• Like 1

Back to the original subject. CA LIVE is very difficult to listen to and maybe even harder to watch. Lord please assist these folks in doing this tour justice in the recording and presentation of what I witnessed in Atlanta. That second set was to good to f**k up. Please, please...
  • Like 2

Mick

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

Yeah, the lite rock comment was only applicable to the PoW, HYF, presto era of Fogelbergian missteps. CP, T4E, and VT (the latter of which is actually very good) were despite their inability to measure up to the greatness of the pre PoW era, not lite rock).

For you, the most flighty poster ( in a musical sense ) that exists on this forum to compare anyone to a Bieber fan just shows that your sense of self awareness is as undeveloped as your hero's musical ability.

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

Mick

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

Go listen to Tunnel of Love.

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

How about CA fans who think it's fine to let other people like whatever they want to like, and dislike whatever they want to dislike, for whatever reason they want to like or dislike it.

Are we OK? :)

• Like 1

Mick

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

Segue, segue, segue. Jack, relax get busy with the facts... There are folks around here that love and don't love all sorts of things in the span of a 40 plus year catalog. Accept the fact and move on. Truth is at least for me if I never heard anything post 84' again I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There is nothing beyond that time period that I really must have. As far a CA goes it is about half to 60% good as far as I am concerned. Overall I would rather listen to HYF but they are very different in production and sound. I like to rock with the best of them but the production of CA just doesn't sit well with me and I would rather hear a more minimalistic production. It may be easy listening to some but it is very good easy listening save for the last two songs in my view. I have heard the word masterpiece associated with CA and I couldn't even come close to going there but if some folks feel that way its cool. I think AFTK is a masterpiece and some don't. Its all good. BTW 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals I would consider masterpieces as well. Caress Of Steel and Fly By Night are great too but fall just shy of masterpiece status. Just my opinion... :codger:
  • Like 2

Back to the original subject. CA LIVE is very difficult to listen to and maybe even harder to watch. Lord please assist these folks in doing this tour justice in the recording and presentation of what I witnessed in Atlanta. That second set was to good to f**k up. Please, please...

Awesome post. I agree, my friend.

• Like 2