The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

By the by.....A Dying Machine. in the now 3 spins i've given it. Blows away the Last Hero.

Which burned brightly at first.......but lost my interest quickly.

i Still like Myles Record better too.

but this is a solid......if draining listen.

Mick

I didn't have any issue listening to it but I put that down to already knowing four songs inside out anyway.

I loved it! I actually want to read the novel ������

it's just an intense listen. i feel like i'm being pummled at times.

again not that that's me complaining. just a minor note.

it's an outstanding effort.

as with all concept albums. i don't really care about that aspect.

Mick

I like a geeky sci fi novel so I might try it haha

• Like 1

So I am bored.

I am going to rank all the Tremonti/Myles releases:

18. Full Circle- Creed (1/10)

17. Apocalyptic Love- Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (3/10)

16. Weathered- Creed (3/10)

15. World On Fire- Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (4/10)

14. Human Clay- Creed (4/10)

13. My Own Prison- Creed (6/10)

12. Cauterize- Tremonti (7/10)

11. All I Was- Tremonti (8/10)

10. One Day Remains- Alter Bridge (8/10)

9. Dust- Tremonti (8/10)

8. Second Skin- The Mayfield Four (8/10)

7. Blackbird- Alter Bridge (8/10)

6. The Last Hero- Alter Bridge (8/10)

5. A Dying Machine- Tremonti (8/10)

4. Year Of The Tiger- Myles Kennedy (9/10)

3. Fallout- The Mayfield Four (9/10)

2. Fortress- Alter Bridge (10/10)

1. ABIII- Alter Bridge (10/10)

I think I prefer Journey and Foreigner to Toto.

You? Preferring another AOR group to Toto? Forgive me if I assume, but you're kinda the Toto flag bearer around here. I figured they must be your favorite AOR group.

I'm often inclined to agree with you though.

• Like 1

You? Preferring another AOR group to Toto? Forgive me if I assume, but you're kinda the Toto flag bearer around here. I figured they must be your favorite AOR group.

I'm often inclined to agree with you though.

It's a close call! I love every single Foreigner album. Only Toto album I love more than any Foreigner is Fahrenheit and possibly IV.

As for Journey, Steve Perry is a phenomenal vocalist and every album I own has way less fillers than most Toto albums.

As big a Toto fan as I am, they rarely made a front to back perfect album.

Foreigner never wrote a song I didn't enjoy and I've yet to skip a Journey song.

And for the record I love a lot of Queen. A LOT. I used to dislike both Mercury and Perry as vocalists but that has changed.

This is why I always revisit bands I admire but don't necessarily enjoy (same thing happened with Sonata Arctica, Linkin Park, Bon Jovi and The Beatles).

• Like 1

As for flag bearer, both Mick and Treeduck hold that mantle as well!

I love Toto more than either Foreigner or Journey for many reasons. But being brutally honest, I'm finding the other two bands way more consistent.

My biggest gripe with Toto is also one of my favourite things: so much variety. Not everything works.

• Like 2

tops i've heard SO FAR.

1. Myles-Year Year of the Tiger (9/10)

2, Ghost Prequeele (9/10)

3. Judas Priest-Firepower (10/10)

4. W.E.T.-Earthrage (9/10.......it's cheesy AOR, lol)

5 . Tribulation-Down Below (10/10.....didn't know we shared this band, lol)

Mick

I LOOOOOOOVE TRIBULATION!

How the f**k did you find them out? I've been a fan for ages.

Like early Paradise Lost but betterer

Holy shit, Tribulation has a new album?!? They opened for Ghost in 2016 and were fantastic.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

I saw Tribulation open for Ghost two years ago. They were really boring live. I know Tobias was trying to help some friends and fellow countrymen out but they were not the right band to open for them. Crowd was one of the most disinterested I've ever seen for an opener. Nothing Tribulation did connected at all.

The crowd was dead but I thought they were great. I think they came off as serious satanists when everything about ghost is tongue in cheek and silly.

Listened through Toto's debut earlier today. Way way better than I remember it being. Don't know what changed about me between then and now, but it didn't click before and now it's awesome! Georgy Porgy is cheesy though.
  • Like 1

I saw Tribulation open for Ghost two years ago. They were really boring live. I know Tobias was trying to help some friends and fellow countrymen out but they were not the right band to open for them. Crowd was one of the most disinterested I've ever seen for an opener. Nothing Tribulation did connected at all.

The crowd was dead but I thought they were great. I think they came off as serious satanists when everything about ghost is tongue in cheek and silly.

No, they just came off as seriously boring. Got no satanic vibe from them at all. Just the wrong band opening for the wrong crowd. I should give them an actual listen though. It's been two years and it's silly to not ever give a band a real shot for something so trivial. It's sometimes tough to hear everything a band has to offer when you're seeing them live and they're a complete unknown.

No, they just came off as seriously boring. Got no satanic vibe from them at all. Just the wrong band opening for the wrong crowd. I should give them an actual listen though. It's been two years and it's silly to not ever give a band a real shot for something so trivial. It's sometimes tough to hear everything a band has to offer when you're seeing them live and they're a complete unknown.

Down Below, the latest album, is fantastic. I don't judge bands by their live shows, many bands I love are "meh" live.

Also Tribulation are tongue in cheek satanic as well. The music is darker and very metal, with pinches of subtle humour and a self aware cheesiness (particularly evident in subject matter). Not that they sound cheesy at all.

Listened through Toto's debut earlier today. Way way better than I remember it being. Don't know what changed about me between then and now, but it didn't click before and now it's awesome! Georgy Porgy is cheesy though.

the whole album has dated cheesy vibe that runs through it. but it's just so much fun, lol it doesn't sound that different from Silk Degrees actually.

Mick

• Like 1

the whole album has dated cheesy vibe that runs through it. but it's just so much fun, lol it doesn't sound that different from Silk Degrees actually.

Mick

Silk Degrees on my list of things to do today.

• Like 1

Mick

i love it.......but boz's voice is acquired taste. but i feel you'll enjoy it eventually.

Georgy Porgy could have easily been a boz track, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i love it.......but boz's voice is acquired taste. but i feel you'll enjoy it eventually.

Mick

So I had one of those "so that's what this song is" moments when Lido Shuffle came on, lol. Overall I enjoyed it, but it did take about half the album before I got used to Oz's voice. Jeff Porcaro killing it as usual, but I did miss hearing Lukather in there. Some solid tunes too!

I did find it sounded pretty dated though, lol. Disco was in.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

So I had one of those "so that's what this song is" moments when Lido Shuffle came on, lol. Overall I enjoyed it, but it did take about half the album before I got used to Oz's voice. Jeff Porcaro killing it as usual, but I did miss hearing Lukather in there. Some solid tunes too!

glad you spun it though. it is interesting for Toto alone.

I saw Boz live and David Paitch (Toto's keyboard player) was a surprise guest.

he Jammed on lowdown and Lido. then they actually played Africa, lol

it was quite awesome.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

glad you spun it though. it is interesting for Toto alone.

I saw Boz live and David Paitch (Toto's keyboard player) was a surprise guest.

he Jammed on lowdown and Lido. then they actually played Africa, lol

it was quite awesome.

Mick

Sounds like fun! lol

• Like 1

The new Tremonti is really good 9/10.

Down Below from Tribulation isn't too bad either 7/10. Not sure why they didn't connect with anybody, myself included when I saw them open for Ghost but they sound just fine on the album. Usually I'm not a big fan of this kind of vocal style but it works for me with them for some reason.

The new Tremonti is really good 9/10.

Down Below from Tribulation isn't too bad either 7/10. Not sure why they didn't connect with anybody, myself included when I saw them open for Ghost but they sound just fine on the album. Usually I'm not a big fan of this kind of vocal style but it works for me with them for some reason.

I'm glad you tried them again! They remind me so much of the early nineties doom/goth metal scene and it's really lovely to have a modern band to support who are young and still progressing this sound!

And I love the new Tremonti. It's up there with my favourite Alter Bridge albums.