The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Meliora broke Ghost big but now it seems Prequelle is getting everyone on board.

So many of the old classic bands never got recognition till their third or fourth album. It's like these guys just showed up a few decades after the party.

I know. It does take some bands a handful of albums to really build something and gain a bigger fan base. People were saying back when the first album came out that they would headline arenas one day. While their songs were catchy I didn't see it at the time because of the Satan heavy lyrics. But once they ditched that they really started to take off.

You aren't gonna get a lot of people raising lighters and singing along to the lyrics on that debut album, but they're vague enough and emotive enough here to definitely get the crowd going,

• Like 1

Prequelle reached me in a big way.

Nothing before was really bad just not my speed.

like i said. whether a conscious decision or not this album shows them trying to reach more people.

the retro 80's pop sheen ticks my boxes

Mick

• Like 1

I think Prequelle just turned me on to it's three prequels. Pun intended but moving on. I know I said in another thread that I understood the appeal and it just wasn't there for me, well I guess I haven't exactly revisited the debut yet, but hearing Cirice now having heard Prequelle, this works way better than I ever though it did before.

Wow this is great. They should really drop the metal tag for good, because rock needs this band way more than metal. Countless bands under the rock heading need to start taking notes from Ghost, production, songwriting, promotion, the whole shebang...well, lyrics aside.

• Like 1

like i said. whether a conscious decision or not this album shows them trying to reach more people.

Mick

I heard plenty of Queen in there, and I mean classic Queen. This album would play very well with ANATO just sonically and instrumentally speaking, plus the theatrics.

• Like 1

Mick

I heard plenty of Queen in there, and I mean classic Queen. This album would play very well with ANATO just sonically and instrumentally speaking, plus the theatrics.

the backing vocals SCREAM Queen to me (eat that Segue, lol)

i agree they are WAY more pop/rock than metal. it was apparent even on the three before.

as Segue noted. the bright production always was at odds with the image. And the albums are indeed way to bright for that.

and the hooks are straight pop in many ways.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i agree they are WAY more pop/rock than metal. it was apparent even on the three before.

as Segue noted. the bright production always was at odds with the image. And the albums are indeed way to bright for that.

Mick

With Prequelle they hit that sweet spot. They got even brighter and lightened up the image a bit, and voila. What was previously the main turn off has now become a main strength.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

With Prequelle they hit that sweet spot. They got even brighter and lightened up the image a bit, and voila. What was previously the main turn off has now become a main strength.

Even the horrid lyrics work better behind what is seemingly a faux AOR album.

fans may not like that label but i call this my sleeper AOR record. cause it totally is!!!

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Even the horrid lyrics work better behind what is seemingly a faux AOR album.

fans may not like that label but i call this my sleeper AOR record. cause it totally is!!!

Mick

I hear everything in there from Sabbath to Maiden, BOC to Queen, Genesis to Scorpions. If you think it's AOR, I can't argue.

• Like 1

Well that escalated quickly!

Guys Ghost are bae.

I really REALLY REALLY REALLY like Queen
  • Like 3

ok. we believe you. i just have a question......Freddie getting any better for you?

Mick

Yes. But I stay away from the pop albums I do prefer the rock era. By far!

• Like 2

ok. we believe you. i just have a question......Freddie getting any better for you?

Mick

Yes. But I stay away from the pop albums I do prefer the rock era. By far!

me too Basically the 70's for me.....even though the finally two albums of the decade were pop/rock.

Oh and i LOVE the mid 80's album the works.

Mick

• Like 1

I have quite a good list for best albums of 2018 already.

helps that i'm paying more attention then last year.

I couldn't be bothered last year, lol

Mick

I don't have many but every album I have had interest in this year has been great.

The best:

1. Tribulation- Down Below (10/10)

2. Ghost- Prequelle (9/10)

3. Myles Kennedy- Year Of The Tiger (9/10)

The very good:

5. My Indigo- My Indigo (8/10)

6. Auri- Auri (8/10)

Surprise of the year:

4. Judas Priest- Firepower (9/10)

Still anticipating:

Tremonti- A Dying Machine

Paradise Lost- Believe In Nothing (Remastered and Remixed)

• Like 1

tops i've heard SO FAR.

1. Myles-Year Year of the Tiger (9/10)

2, Ghost Prequeele (9/10)

3. Judas Priest-Firepower (10/10)

4. W.E.T.-Earthrage (9/10.......it's cheesy AOR, lol)

5 . Tribulation-Down Below (10/10.....didn't know we shared this band, lol)

Mick

• Like 2

tops i've heard SO FAR.

Mick

I LOOOOOOOVE TRIBULATION!

How the f**k did you find them out? I've been a fan for ages.

Like early Paradise Lost but betterer

• Like 1

tops i've heard SO FAR.

Mick

I LOOOOOOOVE TRIBULATION!

How the f**k did you find them out? I've been a fan for ages.

Like early Paradise Lost but betterer

i found Tribulation through a silly best of 2018 online. i needed fresh music ya know?

BIG SURPRISE!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

I saw Tribulation open for Ghost two years ago. They were really boring live. I know Tobias was trying to help some friends and fellow countrymen out but they were not the right band to open for them. Crowd was one of the most disinterested I've ever seen for an opener. Nothing Tribulation did connected at all.
  • Like 1

I saw Tribulation open for Ghost two years ago. They were really boring live. I know Tobias was trying to help some friends and fellow countrymen out but they were not the right band to open for them. Crowd was one of the most disinterested I've ever seen for an opener. Nothing Tribulation did connected at all.

I have to say Tribulation aren't a band I can imagine American audiences enjoying. But there gigs get great crowd responses in Europe.

I'd say they would be perfect Ghost support for me. But in the UK that sort of line-up would be perfect for the sort of metal tastes over here.

• Like 1

Tremonti (of Alter Bridge) Dropped his new record Yesterday A Dying Machine.

it's Certainly Tremonti. Using pretty Much the exact same formula as every album. Loud hook-y melodies. Grand Choruses,

but this is Tremonti going bigger. Same stuff. just MORE.....if that makes sense.

While not a bad thing.......and this record is Instantly enjoyable. at an hour long. It does wear on you. it really is a nonstop record.

it's the cheesy dick flick action movie of music. it's fast hard......and it rarely let's up.

For those drawbacks. it's greatness shines through.

Early Favs

Bringer of War

A dying Machine

Make it Hurt

The Silence Becomes Me

i'd recommend it.

8/10

Mick

By the by.....A Dying Machine. in the now 3 spins i've given it. Blows away the Last Hero.

Which burned brightly at first.......but lost my interest quickly.

i Still like Myles Record better too.

but this is a solid......if draining listen.

Mick