The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Entre Whenever he comes back on should give Prequelle another go.

It really does have a bigger broader appeal then the first three i feel.

it reached me with it's AOR cross-over thing.

the surprise Sax nearly killed me, lol

if Prequelle is a direction indicator they may get me yet.

To zero iin on it Prequelle was the first record i could hear them winking at me. where the other 3 just come as deadpan.....if that makes sense.

Mick

• Like 1

To zero iin on it Prequelle was the first record i could hear them winking at me. where the other 3 just come as deadpan.....if that makes sense.

Mick

It's a sign this band is just getting better and better. They could have been a tough sell. But Prequelle is the sound of a band perfecting all they ever intended.

The Popestar EP was a real turning point for them. Covering songs by other artists I think injected a new shot of inspiration.

• Like 2

And that sax moment is my favourite part of the entire Ghost discography.
  • Like 3

it made sit up straight in my chair, lol

the track was already doing great on it's own but.....bam, lol

Mick

• Like 3

it made sit up straight in my chair, lol

the track was already doing great on it's own but.....bam, lol

Mick

See The Light/Miasma is my favourite moment in music in 2018 thus far. I have to play them together.

• Like 2

Saxophones and MCR comparisons? Okay, I'll bite. I'll hit up Prequelle in my free time tonight and give my thoughts.
  • Like 2

Saxophones and MCR comparisons? Okay, I'll bite. I'll hit up Prequelle in my free time tonight and give my thoughts.

it still has the faults of every Ghost record......well what i consider faults. mainly incredibly bad lyrics in spots.

but they sound like they are seeking to broaden their appeal on this one.

it worked on me, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

I hear them winking at me on every album. There's a humorous style to Tobias's on stage banter as well. On their live album that came out earlier this year after he asks everyone how they're doing, he then says I trust you are all eating well.

His intro for Monstrance Clock is also very funny. He talks about how the song is about the female orgasm and gets the crowd to cheer for the female orgasm. Then he says he wants everyone to give their special someone or themselves an orgasm after they get home tonight. I don't think the song is really about that but it gives you a good idea of the humor behind what they do.

• Like 1

Oh btw.....in the chorus of Rats. that......ahhh-oh--waaaa-ahhhh backing vocal is pure Queen to these ears.

Mick

Rats. Is. Bae.

• Like 1

I'm playing it again.......i have to fair.

this is a really good album. Damn good.

i can't give it a perfect score cause their just some stuff i do not like.

but i am uping my score to an 8 out of 10

i honestly think the too best pieces of music i've heard in a bit are See the Light and Miasma

Miasma could win best instrumental ever for me.....i'm serious.

and the MVP. here is there drummer. Amazing fills and the placement of the fills is spot on.

Classy shit.

Mick

• Like 1

i honestly think the too best pieces of music i've heard in a bit are See the Light and Miasma

and the MVP. here is there drummer. Amazing fills and the placement of the fills is spot on.

Classy shit.

Mick

Miasma was bloody great. And then the sax hit. It took a great track to meteoric heights! Like...I just really loved it.

Prequelle is Ghost shaking things up and writing even stronger hooks.

Also I think the instrumentals break up the album perfectly. One thing I feel about every Ghost album is that there is a samey feel to all the tracks. But with Prequelle, the fantastic instrumentals help create a sense of motion that keeps you attentive and never bored.

I do think that prior to this album, every release had a bit too much and yet never quite enough to keep the attention span.

• Like 1

Classy shit.

Mick

Miasma was bloody great. And then the sax hit. It took a great track to meteoric heights! Like...I just really loved it.

Prequelle is Ghost shaking things up and writing even stronger hooks.

Also I think the instrumentals break up the album perfectly. One thing I feel about every Ghost album is that there is a samey feel to all the tracks. But with Prequelle, the fantastic instrumentals help create a sense of motion that keeps you attentive and never bored.

I do think that prior to this album, every release had a bit too much and yet never quite enough to keep the attention span.

And i think you hit on another problem i had. Everything blended together on other albums. i honesrly couldn't hum you anything on the other records.

Prequelle i know i can.

it's like Ghost 2.0 in a way.

Mick

I agree with you guys on the sax. I was expecting much on the album to be honest, but wow did I love it.

Miasma was going to be my favorite song then the sax kicked in I almost lost it, what an amazing song, by far my favorite song in their discography.

• Like 1

I'm on See The Light.

Oh my goodness they nailed it. They got the shtick to work. What felt completely heavy handed and unnecessarily "satanic" on the debut is perfectly recapitulated as theater here, which is I think what they were always going for. I feel like I'm listening to a concept album, or a musical soundtrack.

Also the production is top notch. I don't mean that overloaded baloney "pro" production that you would normally associate with modern music, I mean this sounds like it could verily easily be one of those great 70s albums that had such high production quality they still don't sound dated. Why is this so hard for people to achieve anymore. This is great. The playing is great. This is a real band playing real music with real theatrics that work perfectly...

Which reminds me more than a little of another expertly produced theatrical rock album that I know... That's kind of freaky actually, lol. Okay there are 80s vibes in here too, especially with the synths, and some Maiden vibes somehow, which is great. They've pulled a 180 for me. If this is Ghost going into the future, count me in.

• Like 4

I will say this definitely does not seem like a heavy metal at all, even though it is classified as one.

It's metal just with a more pop vibe than they've had before. They've always had a pop elements but this album has taken that to the next level.

• Like 1

I'm on See The Light.

Oh my goodness they nailed it. They got the shtick to work. What felt completely heavy handed and unnecessarily "satanic" on the debut is perfectly recapitulated as theater here, which is I think what they were always going for. I feel like I'm listening to a concept album, or a musical soundtrack.

Also the production is top notch. I don't mean that overloaded baloney "pro" production that you would normally associate with modern music, I mean this sounds like it could verily easily be one of those great 70s albums that had such high production quality they still don't sound dated. Why is this so hard for people to achieve anymore. This is great. The playing is great. This is a real band playing real music with real theatrics that work perfectly...

Which reminds me more than a little of another expertly produced theatrical rock album that I know... That's kind of freaky actually, lol. Okay there are 80s vibes in here too, especially with the synths, and some Maiden vibes somehow, which is great. They've pulled a 180 for me. If this is Ghost going into the future, count me in.

exactly what I think, their future has me hooked now, I saw them live opening for Iron maiden they got my attention, but now I love them.

Let me know what you think of Miasma

Edited by Bigbobby10
  • Like 2

I'm on See The Light.

exactly what I think, their future has me hooked now, I saw them live opening for Iron maiden they got my attention, but now I love them.

Let me know what you think of Miasma

Miasma is perfection. I'd say they don't write 'em like that anymore... But apparently they do.

Also Danse Macabre is like 80s Scorpions. Like Rock You Like A Hurricane. In the best way possible.

• Like 1

I will say this definitely does not seem like a heavy metal at all, even though it is classified as one.

It's metal just with a more pop vibe than they've had before. They've always had a pop elements but this album has taken that to the next level.

You can call it pop, I'm gonna call it classic rock. I'm gonna call this halfway to a rock opera. If pop just means catchy melodies, then sure, but this has more in common with what showtunes I've heard than any strictly pop song I can think of.

• Like 2

Meliora broke Ghost big but now it seems Prequelle is getting everyone on board.

So many of the old classic bands never got recognition till their third or fourth album. It's like these guys just showed up a few decades after the party.

• Like 2

Meliora broke Ghost big but now it seems Prequelle is getting everyone on board.

So many of the old classic bands never got recognition till their third or fourth album. It's like these guys just showed up a few decades after the party.

I know. It does take some bands a handful of albums to really build something and gain a bigger fan base. People were saying back when the first album came out that they would headline arenas one day. While their songs were catchy I didn't see it at the time because of the Satan heavy lyrics. But once they ditched that they really started to take off.

• Like 2