The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Oh also, sorry Segue but this is metal to me, not rock. I mean, I hear how you can call it just great guitar driven rock, but the number of these riffs and beats that are firmly rooted in metal tropes is undeniable.

Okay but actually this section that just started in this song (second song I think), slower and with the ripping blues guitar solo, that's definitely more rock than metal, at least more of a Dream Theater approach to both.

They are very metal but they aren't metal exactly either...I have the same thing with Ghost (to my ears they are about as metal as Backstreet Boys).

• Like 1

Okay, so listening to Fortress.

So far it's like someone just took parts of what I love about Soundgarden and My Chemical Romance / Fall Out Boy and somehow mashed them into a cohesive whole.

Yeah actually why haven't I ever been told to check these guys out before. My only complaint is the overall sound is more polished than I'd prefer it to be. But like, it's still good.

I don't hear FOB/MCR at all...like it blows my mind. AB are so far ahead of either band musically and vocally it's almost insulting haha!

But to each their own.

Calm The Fire was inspired by Queen and Muse.

Something in his delivery seems to be perfectly balancing Cornell's absolute power with Gerard Way's emotive and operatic tendencies and a bit of Stump's hooky ear candy melodicism. I heard it more earlier than right now. On track 5 now.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

So far it's like someone just took parts of what I love about Soundgarden and My Chemical Romance / Fall Out Boy and somehow mashed them into a cohesive whole.

Yeah actually why haven't I ever been told to check these guys out before. My only complaint is the overall sound is more polished than I'd prefer it to be. But like, it's still good.

I don't hear FOB/MCR at all...like it blows my mind. AB are so far ahead of either band musically and vocally it's almost insulting haha!

But to each their own.

Something in his delivery seems to be perfectly balancing Cornell's absolute power with Gerard Way's emotive and operatic tendencies and a bit of Stump's hooky ear candy melodicism. I heard it more earlier than right now. On track 5 now.

O...well...I guess Gerard is complemented haha (I love MCR but...nah I don't hear it).

• Like 1

But to each their own.

O...well...I guess Gerard is complemented haha (I love MCR but...nah I don't hear it).

I'm sure they weren't actual influences, but somehow I think they're cut from similar cloth. At least, they both strike that center in my brain.

Also, hearing that Muse influence you mentioned on Calm The Fire.

• Like 1

But to each their own.

I'm sure they weren't actual influences, but somehow I think they're cut from similar cloth. At least, they both strike that center in my brain.

He was aiming for Freddie Mercury but when the band heard his voice they were like "that's Musey!".

I love that song. The lyrics were Myles reaction to when he accidentally came across a racist conversation on an internet forum.

• Like 2

I do hear Soundgarden in AB. Absolutly.

not so much MCR.

I think they fit more in Metal than Rock. i mean the riffs are VERY VERY metal but it's like they have one foot in metal and one foot in Athem like rock.

But i still think they throw away guitar solo's sorry.

it's the reason why i said i din't know tremobti could play so well when i heard The Last Hero.......i had NO CLUE based on past albums.

Mick

• Like 1

But to each their own.

He was aiming for Freddie Mercury but when the band heard his voice they were like "that's Musey!".

I love that song. The lyrics were Myles reaction to when he accidentally came across a racist conversation on an internet forum.

Yeah, his band's right. He doesn't have quite the tone of voice to pull off Freddie (but he's definitely a great singer, very talented), but Muse he could do. Some of those chord changes were very Musey.

Now onto the next track, and his lower register actually resembles a modern country singer...but it's close enough to Cornell as well that I'll just use that as a reference point instead, lol.

not so much MCR.

I think they fit more in Metal than Rock. i mean the riffs are VERY VERY metal but it's like they have one foot in metal and one foot in Athem like rock.

it's the reason why i said i din't know tremobti could play so well when i heard The Last Hero.......i had NO CLUE based on past albums.

Mick

I dunno I never hear any AB song without solos and think "DAMN THAT NEEDED ONE!" because to my ears they have plenty if them and a lot of amazing riffs.

not so much MCR.

Mick

I'm telling ya, I hear it in there! lol

Soundgarden influence is very obvious though, and very appreciated. There isn't enough Soundgarden in the world.

• Like 2

not so much MCR.

Mick

Soundgarden influence is very obvious though, and very appreciated. There isn't enough Soundgarden in the world.

Well I doubt it because Myles has been singing since the mid-nineties and his voice has always sounded like this lol

• Like 1

not so much MCR.

Mick

That's ok just because we don't we don't hear it doesn't mean it ain't there.

I'm convinced there's meat Loaf in Nightwish (screw you Segue it's THERE, lol)

Mick

• Like 1

not so much MCR.

Mick

Well I doubt it because Myles has been singing since the mid-nineties and his voice has always sounded like this lol

Could be MCR and FOB listened to whatever band he sang in before Alter Bridge.

I would actually believe that...what did he sing in before AB?

not so much MCR.

Mick

Mick

lol, I'd believe it.

I'm also convinced there's a ton of Lifeson in EVH. Minus the tapping stuff, I've heard a lot of similar techniques between the two that Alex did first.

not so much MCR.

Mick

Mick

Yeah I am sure but when a singer has been singing a certain way since before said compared singer...its obvious it's a coincedence.

And yeah Meat Loaf suck but like Beyoncé people love and are inspired by him ;)

• Like 1

not so much MCR.

Mick

The Mayfield Four. They never charted anywhere on the entire planet.

• Like 1

On Cry A River.

Rivaahw

Forevaahw

I'm hearing Gerard Way right there.

Shoot me.

When I listen to Alter Bridge I hear Alter Bridge. Not all these other things lol.

Amen

not so much MCR.

Mick

The Mayfield Four. They never charted anywhere on the entire planet.

darn, I had hope lol

On Cry A River.

Rivaahw

Forevaahw

I'm hearing Gerard Way right there.

Shoot me.

Erm...again...no...but oh well

I love My Chemical Romance (Three Cheers and Black Parade are 10/10s) so it's hardly a bad comparison.

But Gerard Way doesn't hold a candle to Myles Kennedy.

• Like 1

It's hard for me NOT to hear influences in bands because i know my way fairly well around music.

that annoys my uncle.......but i can't help it my brain just does it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving all of this, guitar included (not getting what you're missing in this department Mick), just also being entertained by all these similarities I'm noticing.

I tend to need reference points when first listening to something before I can come to understand it on its own terms.

• Like 1

Holy note on All Ends Well!

He does realize he could've been a pop singer, doesn't he? Glad he chose to be a rocker (metaler?).

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving all of this, guitar included (not getting what you're missing in this department Mick), just also being entertained by all these similarities I'm noticing.

I tend to need reference points when first listening to something before I can come to understand it on its own terms.

Myles and Tremonti are possibly the most critically acclaimed guitarists of our era (not counting those who go back to the eighties).

I've never heard anyone say they missed anything in the guitar work of this band.

I won't lie...they thrill me musically more than most bands ever. When people scream about Van Halen or Guns N Roses...I sit here like "but Alter Bridge". When people go on about Lifeson or Slash I think "but Alter Bridge".

Like the whole reason I got into AB was the guitar work...to me this is rock music of the gods!

• Like 1

Holy note on All Ends Well!

He does realize he could've been a pop singer, doesn't he? Glad he chose to be a rocker (metaler?).

Fortress...the next song...has THREE guitar solos and is my favourite song on the entire album!

And Myles voice is AMAZING on All Ends Well.

I think his best ever studio vocals are on Fortress and his solo album (please check out Year Of The Tiger).

• Like 1