The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Foreigner are easily one of my favourite bands. Toto and Journey today also brought me so much joy.

I've been quiet for ages about personal things but I've been really depressed lately. Like really low (but so busy I haven't slipped under like last year). These bands really being joy to my heart, none more than Foreigner. They just give me good vibes.

• Like 2

Foreigner are easily one of my favourite bands. Toto and Journey today also brought me so much joy.

I've been quiet for ages about personal things but I've been really depressed lately. Like really low (but so busy I haven't slipped under like last year). These bands really being joy to my heart, none more than Foreigner. They just give me good vibes.

AOR Is how i perk myself up for real.

Metal brings me down to much. Straight rock is middle of the road. but AOR brings me out of it everytime.

Mick

Grunge tends to bring me down, or at least reinforce whatever negative feelings I had. Metal tends to be more empowering, or at least helps me to focus and power through work. Classic rock is for relaxation and comfort, and AOR is especially comforting. Modern rock is for excitement and thrill and enjoyment.
  • Like 1

Grunge tends to bring me down, or at least reinforce whatever negative feelings I had. Metal tends to be more empowering, or at least helps me to focus and power through work. Classic rock is for relaxation and comfort, and AOR is especially comforting. Modern rock is for excitement and thrill and enjoyment.

AOR has become my security blanket. more so than any other genre.

Toto

Journey

Foreigner

Siilk Degrees )Check this album out. it's a Boz Scaggs album but Toto plays on it. so it an AOR album to me, lol)

Styx

Great light happy genre.

Mick

• Like 1

Finally got my Toto CDs back! And my Bon Jovi, Journey, Kings X, Dokken, Yes and REM! Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I'm really turned onto Journey again in recent days. Even some post perry stuff is great. Granted the guy they have now is a perry clone but one album they did......Revelations is as good as anything with Perry.

And these bands are life as well

Work of Art

Eclipse

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I'm really turned onto Journey again in recent days. Even some post perry stuff is great. Granted the guy they have now is a perry clone but one album they did......Revelations is as good as anything with Perry.

Work of Art

Eclipse

Mick

I own six Journey albums. Not the Eclipse through to the Radio one. Enjoy them all.

I want to get the two Lou Gramm solo albums soon.

• Like 2

Work of Art

Eclipse

Mick

I own six Journey albums. Not the Eclipse through to the Radio one. Enjoy them all.

i need to play more foreigner again. I always love them but they get easily forgotten.

Mick

Work of Art

Eclipse

Mick

If you havent listened to them, I do recommend them, some great songs on them.

I love Foreigner, and Lou Gramm will always be one of my favorite vocals (maybe even favorite).

Their Debut album is my favorite, but what a great band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubas4z3poQE

LOVE foreigner. The last record was good.....but honestly. no one beats graham.

Mick

I love Foreigner, and Lou Gramm will always be one of my favorite vocals (maybe even favorite).

Mick

Can't Slow Down is my personal favourite. But...I'd agree it would have been even better with Lou Gramm.

• Like 1

Mick

Can't Slow Down is my personal favourite. But...I'd agree it would have been even better with Lou Gramm.

oh it's a great album.

but Gramm Iis one of the rare singers for me where i have a harder time with them being replaced.

Mick

Playing the Toto debut

It's cheering me up big time

• Like 1

Have to say I still love my female fronted metal. Lacuna Coil, Leaves Eyes, Nightwish...I need these bands.

And the new Ghost album is fantastic. I actually thought I'd be bored of it by now but its constantly on repeat and it gets better and better. Some really great lyrics too, and the instrumentals are wonderful bridges between songs. The bands most complete sounding album, and the hooks are second to none right now.

• Like 1

Listened to Ghost's Prequelle

It's better than i thought.

The first 3 tracks are just Stock Ghost to me.

Ashes is your standard Ghost prelude.

and Rats and Faith are everything that turns me off about this band.

Then comes see the Light. probably my fav song they've ever done. The Drink me Eat me is silly but it doesn't way down the song.

Other Standouts.

Miasma- Wow what a fun Track. the gorgeous synth sounds and That sax solo though........ear-gasm.

Dance Macabre- could have been straight out of 80's AOR.

Pro Memoria love it.....Lyrics drag it down a bit.

your friend death......uuuuuugh......sorry i just, lol

Witch Image-Again very AOR based. Great musical hooks in this one.

There are tracks that don't quite hit it. Helvestesfonster is good but goes on a bit long.

the opening 3. Just stock Ghost.

I give this record a 7/10

what i like i really love. Best thing about this record is honestly the drum work......i'm serious it's the first thing that hit me.

and the synth lines are great.

Better then i expected. but it's faults for me keep it from the great column.

and yes. i've basically played it all morning, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Listened to Ghost's Prequelle

It's better than i thought.

The first 3 tracks are just Stock Ghost to me.

Ashes is your standard Ghost prelude.

and Rats and Faith are everything that turns me off about this band.

Then comes see the Light. probably my fav song they've ever done. The Drink me Eat me is silly but it doesn't way down the song.

Other Standouts.

Miasma- Wow what a fun Track. the gorgeous synth sounds and That sax solo though........ear-gasm.

Dance Macabre- could have been straight out of 80's AOR.

Pro Memoria love it.....Lyrics drag it down a bit.

your friend death......uuuuuugh......sorry i just, lol

Witch Image-Again very AOR based. Great musical hooks in this one.

There are tracks that don't quite hit it. Helvestesfonster is good but goes on a bit long.

the opening 3. Just stock Ghost.

I give this record a 7/10

what i like i really love. Best thing about this record is honestly the drum work......i'm serious it's the first thing that hit me.

and the synth lines are great.

Better then i expected. but it's faults for me keep it from the great column.

and yes. i've basically played it all morning, lol

Mick

The goofy Scooby doo lyrics used to make me groan but I treat it like Imaginaerum. It's a huge love letter to old fashioned horror and theatre and it's very fun. Once I clicked with the bands sense of humour and irony it became really fun. I think the mistake I made was to take them seriously.

It's a circus and I love it! For some reason I can imagine this as a soundtrack for a lost seventies supernatural horror. Think Carrie meets Beetlejuice. There is drama and emotion here but so much celebration and a sense of fun.

I draw the parallel to Imaginaerum because that too was an album I found outputting and overly bombastic and silly.

I love the whole album. If I have one minor complaint, I wish the band were a little less shiny sounding. A bit more grit and the cheesy horror vibes would be even more atmospheric.

• Like 2

This band obviously takes themselves seriously and the way they unashamedly flaunt cliche rock and metal tropes is endearing.

I can't quite remember what made me fall in love with this band, but the song He Is really hit me when I saw the video. I got the band then, and I love them now.

They are a joke and they are edgy with it. I've never seen a band pull this off so well without looking pompous!

Four albums that I've grown to love quite rapidly. They may end up on the same level as HIM for me. Their cheesy gothic melodramatic love songs with the outright corny lyrics also took me time to get used too. Ghost are to seventies horror what HIM were to cheesy vampire romance novels. It works!

I also really love the sound of the band. Prequelle works on a higher level for me than what came before because of the instrumentals. And there is an AOR tinge to everything they do. I could imagine Bon Jovi sounding like this if they spent more time listening to Black Sabbath than Van Halen.

The fact John and...gasp...my religious parents now...like them makes me giggle. The joke is so obvious it's almost banal, but the music is not a joke.

• Like 2

Prequelle is absolutly the best thing they've done yet. i heard them tryiung a few different things which is good.

but......and i'm being honest.......they've got a long way to go to win me over. but......Prequelle is a good Start.

See where they take themselves. Prequelle's no high achievement.

but for my tastes it's lightyears more engaging then the first 3.

Mick

• Like 2

Prequelle is absolutly the best thing they've done yet. i heard them tryiung a few different things which is good.

but......and i'm being honest.......they've got a long way to go to win me over. but......Prequelle is a good Start.

See where they take themselves. Prequelle's no high achievement.

but for my tastes it's lightyears more engaging then the first 3.

Mick

I'm really loving this band. I do think though that each album has filler.

Not sure if Prequelle does. I didn't like Dance Macabre at all but I love it now.

To the credit of the band...many bands take time to warm up for our tastes. Journey...album four is where it starts for me. Within Temptation? Skip the first album and the EP.

The Gathering? Album three.

Paradise Lost? I love everything but the romance between us starts officially at album five.

There is so much to love on every Ghost release but I am not convinced there is no filler to be found.

There is something holding Ghost from being a real favourite. I'm wondering if they may end up like Within Temptation, a band that really grate on my nerves when not in the mood, but hit the spot when I have that craving!

For me its escapism. I'm going through a lot right now and there is a macabre and silly feel to this band that makes me feel really calm. It's entertainment and I need that right now. Hence the recent Toto and Journey binges (and Ghost are honestly that unheard of middle ground between Paradise Lost and Toto).

Also Meliora has moments that make me think "remember when Disney did Hunchback? Imagine if Disney did Suspiria!"
  • Like 2

i see what you mean about the candy sweet bright production, Segue.

if they are indeed deadpan serious about their image.

this sound kinda works against that but prequelle could wind up a fav faux AOR record of mine.

I'm playing Melora.......it's ok,

but it's insane how hook-y they can be.

maybe their playing with the wrong image here, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

i see what you mean about the bright candy sweet bright production, Segue.

if they are indeed deadpan serious about their image.

this sound kinda works against that but prequelle could wind up a fav faux AOR record of mine.

I'm playing Melora.......it's ok,

but it's insane how hook-y they can be.

maybe their playing with the wrong image here, lol

Mick

The image is so fun though. I played my parents He Is and they got the joke and found it mesmerising. I played them Rats and they were like "oh they are that funny kiss band only better!"

And then I played them See The Light and they were obsessed.

The image is so fun, and watching live videos...I need this band haha! I think the press likes to make out they are edgy but the bands shows and videos make it clear this is a comic roadshow. But they sell the real deal, no pretence.

HIM were very similar but Ville Valo was too in love with sex and beauty to really commit to any sort of joke. But the humour was there and yet they were sincerely romantic. Ghost are similar. The humour is there and the spectacle is vibrant, but the craft and the love of the macabre is also very sincere.

It's so nice to see a band combine humour and talent so well! I mean...look at Steel Panther. They try something similar and they suck.

• Like 2

I actually don't find the image metal at all. The video to Rats for example reminds me more of My Chemical Romance than it does Metallica.

And on that note: MCR is a great comparison. Look at the Three Cheers era and tell me they weren't following the same rules! Image AND substance AND theatre. Black Parade took it to the next level.

• Like 2