The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Ahhh. i'm still waiting for the great Segue Queen rapture.

face we all know it's coming one day.

Mick

Knowing Segue, it'll start with Hot Space

than he'll write an essay on the brilliance of it, lol.

I would enjoy hot Space if Queen didn't make it.......oddly, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

To many another band, it'd be an experimental masterpiece.

To Queen, it was oddly focused, almost safe but then not really, and just not very Queeny.

• Like 2

I can't listen to them. They push me over the edge instead of pulling me back. I'm sorry. They are talented men and they have great songs, but they do me in. Right now, trust me - I don't need that.

That makes sense too. And yeah, you gotta know your own boundaries.

Hell, last night I was listening to my friend's radio show (same network as me) and he played Cat Stevens 'Father and Son'. I totally lost it. I love that song but I miss my dad so goddamn much.

• Like 1

I do like those first two Queen albums and Innuendo.

I just listened to Innuendo the other night. I swear I got more out of it than I have since this time last year. It's a much deeper record than I thought at first, so much Queen dna embedded in there. If I'm not careful, it could slip into my top 5 Queen, lol.

LOL - Innuendo is absolutely in my Top 5 Queen :)

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

To many another band, it'd be an experimental masterpiece.

To Queen, it was oddly focused, almost safe but then not really, and just not very Queeny.

oddly the tour for it was aces and the songs were better live i thought.

Mick

• Like 2

My issue with Queen is there is something about them that does my head in.

I feel the exact same way about Styx but they have more than one singer and I like their style more.

For me, you can have all the range in the world but it means very little if I don't like the sound of your voice. And Mercury was blessed. And he is a phenomenal singer. And he had flair and a sense of fun that on paper is my thing...

...but the reality is I have hated Queen since I was a kid and it wasn't until I heard his passionate performance of The Show Must Go On that I felt any sort of connection with his voice. And I love his voice on that song and I love the power of Innuendo, and perhaps a large part of that is that one song and the title track.

I also like the first two albums because they have that infectious energy that all bands have at the start and I can get into it. But after that it gets messy.

And since the first time I ever heard it I have hated Bohemian Rhapsody and outside those three albums I struggle to think of a single hit song or album track I can tolerate.

Strange.....but to me it's all as unlistenable as Kilroy Was Here.

I relate this band to Styx only because I have milder reservations about them in line with how I feel towards Queen.

I would even say Queen were the better band. Im not foolish, I respect them a lot.

• Like 3

I just listened to Innuendo the other night. I swear I got more out of it than I have since this time last year. It's a much deeper record than I thought at first, so much Queen dna embedded in there. If I'm not careful, it could slip into my top 5 Queen, lol.

ANATO

QII

NOTW

SHA

Miracle

Innuendo

ADATR

AKOM

QI

Works

Jazz

Game

HS

MIH is unrankable, in a good way.

so yeah not quite in my top 5, lol.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

I feel the exact same way about Styx but they have more than one singer and I like their style more.

For me, you can have all the range in the world but it means very little if I don't like the sound of your voice. And Mercury was blessed. And he is a phenomenal singer. And he had flair and a sense of fun that on paper is my thing...

...but the reality is I have hated Queen since I was a kid and it wasn't until I heard his passionate performance of The Show Must Go On that I felt any sort of connection with his voice. And I love his voice on that song and I love the power of Innuendo, and perhaps a large part of that is that one song and the title track.

I also like the first two albums because they have that infectious energy that all bands have at the start and I can get into it. But after that it gets messy.

And since the first time I ever heard it I have hated Bohemian Rhapsody and outside those three albums I struggle to think of a single hit song or album track I can tolerate.

I relate this band to Styx only because I have milder reservations about them in line with how I feel towards Queen.

I would even say Queen were the better band. Im not foolish, I respect them a lot.

Yeah but have you tried Hot Space though?

ANATO

QII

NOTW

SHA

Miracle

Innuendo

ADATR

AKOM

QI

Works

Jazz

Game

HS

Hm...

News Of The World

Innuendo

Queen 2

Night at the Opera

The Game

Sheer Heart Attack and Q1 are right there too....

• Like 1

ANATO

QII

NOTW

SHA

Miracle

Innuendo

ADATR

AKOM

QI

Works

Jazz

Game

HS

Hm...

News Of The World

Innuendo

Queen 2

Night at the Opera

The Game

Mostly on the same page I see, minus The Game. I'm not exactly sure why but The Game frustrates me to no end. Side 2 for me is listenable almost solely because of Save Me at the end. Coming Soon is their worst song imo.

• Like 1

I have listened to every queen album and I've mentioned this several times lol I even tried again in order a couple of years back and I just hated it.

I have listened to every queen album and I've mentioned this several times lol I even tried again in order a couple of years back and I just hated it.

One of these days, that one will click with you, just my hunch.

• Like 1

My queen Rankings

1. A Day at the Races

2. Queen II

3. Sheer Heart Attack

4. Queen

5. Innuendo

6. A Night at the Opera

7. News of the World

8. The Works

9. The Game

10. Jazz

11. The Miracle

12. A Kind of Magic

13. Hot Space

Mick

• Like 2

One of these days, that one will click with you, just my hunch.

Honestly no chance. Living in the UK it's unavoidable. I think it's horrendous and I really hate those vocals and the melodies and the lyrics. It just really grinds my gears.

But many have said the same thing about Born To Run.

ANATO

QII

NOTW

SHA

Miracle

Innuendo

ADATR

AKOM

QI

Works

Jazz

Game

HS

Hm...

News Of The World

Innuendo

Queen 2

Night at the Opera

The Game

Mostly on the same page I see, minus The Game. I'm not exactly sure why but The Game frustrates me to no end. Side 2 for me is listenable almost solely because of Save Me at the end. Coming Soon is their worst song imo.

I have a real soft spot for The Game, as it was the first Queen album I ever got - Xmas 1980. That factors in for sure. Nostalgia!!! And Save Me is fantastic.

• Like 1

I just started The Man Machine and it is even more German than I expected

Last night I was watching a BBC documentary called Synth Brittania. Now it's got me wanting to check out more Kraftwerk. I love Autobahn and Computer World, but that's all i know.

I've been an elitist for so long. I'm trying to push myself out of my comfort zone now. I think I'll listen to an Eagles album

Can you handle the bland-ness though.

Mick

• Like 1

I've been an elitist for so long. I'm trying to push myself out of my comfort zone now. I think I'll listen to an Eagles album

Can you handle the bland-ness though.

Mick

ROFL!!

Aww, maybe it's because I grew up in Califiornia, but I do like some Eagles.. Last Resort is a classic.

Let me say it's so nice to have others join in here.

Segue and i can only argue between us for so long, lol

Mick

LOL.. I'm glad it's cool with you guys. At first I was thinking.. man, do I need to start my own thread? :D Just in case this was ONLY meant for the two of you to spar.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

I thought that you and Segue were missing out. The two of you would make a really good talk show team. But I would pity the guest who sat between the two of you. :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Yeah. This thread is for the both of you to go back and forth in.

Maybe from time to time you can call in a victim special TRF guest and give him/her the whatsfor.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2