Alex: "If This Is The Last Major Tour That We Do, I Want To Go Out With Flying Colors"

zappafrank

Once again, if you can't read between the lines, look harder.

They're heading into retirement. Rightfully so. 40 years is plenty. Neil's bones are breakin' down.

This is it, kids. See 'em one last time. :)

Flying Colours is the followup to Clockwork Angels

Featuring such songs as

'Another Garden'

'Net Boy, Net Girl- Part 2 of Scare'

'Wai Shan- The Return of the Shan'

They're heading into retirement. Rightfully so. 40 years is plenty. Neil's bones are breakin' down.

Yeah I don't get the "oh but maybe they'll do this or that" mentality. Let them retire in peace.

• Like 2

Summer's going fast, nights growing colder

Children growing up, old friends growing older

Freeze this moment a little bit longer

Make each sensation a little bit stronger

Experience slips away

Experience slips away...

The innocence slips away

How many years ago was this song written?

Feck

Sounds like they all have some sort of physical ailments and that's not really surprising considering how hard they've toured in the past. Just reaching 50 or 60 most people have some sort of chronic thing going on. Alex has his psoriatic arthritis and Geddy has shoulder problems.

I didn't know Geddy has shoulder problems, but that would make sense that he would.

Do you have shoulder problems?

Yes. Neck, shoulder, upper and lower back. A lot of it is from playing bass.

Don't even ask about drumming ailments! I was at a Dr. appt today for a "hammer toe" issue (I call it 'camel' toe to piss off my wife :P ) and she (the Dr.) knows what my feet have been through as a drummer (both sitting behind a kit playing a bass drum...AND my drum and bugle corps daze)

Neil had horrid technique for years until he got involved with Freddy, and I'm sure his hands, shoulders and hips are in crappy shape after a tour!

• Like 1

I'd be fine with Flying Colors supporting Rush on tour. They're a pretty good band.

Yeah, I know that's not what he was meaning :unsure:

What's funny is Mike Portnoy posted something about this on FB today! He said "How cool would THAT be???? Oh wait.... : )"

Yeah I don't get the "oh but maybe they'll do this or that" mentality. Let them retire in peace.

Yup. They're the kinda guys who AREN'T going to outright proclaim THIS IS THE LAST TOUR.

Peaceful quiet retirement is right up their alley.

I guess some folks think if they don't deliver it Motley Crue style (FAREWELL TOUR, LET'S CHARGE 5 GRAND A SEAT), there's hope for more. I get it. But really, it's just about how Rush operates. I'd be shocked if they actually titled a tour their actual farewell. Not their bag o' beans. Humility is something Rush gets.

Sounds like they all have some sort of physical ailments and that's not really surprising considering how hard they've toured in the past. Just reaching 50 or 60 most people have some sort of chronic thing going on. Alex has his psoriatic arthritis and Geddy has shoulder problems.

I didn't know Geddy has shoulder problems, but that would make sense that he would.

Why do we have to get old? :sigh:

• Like 1

Don't even ask about drumming ailments! I was at a Dr. appt today for a "hammer toe" issue (I call it 'camel' toe to piss off my wife :P ) and she (the Dr.) knows what my feet have been through as a drummer (both sitting behind a kit playing a bass drum...AND my drum and bugle corps daze)

Neil had horrid technique for years until he got involved with Freddy, and I'm sure his hands, shoulders and hips are in crappy shape after a tour!

And he still hits the drums so damn hard!!!!

I always wondered why...

Why do we have to get old? :sigh:

Yeah it sucks. :(

At least it is better than the alternative...let's also be glad the tour isn't being sponsored by Advil or something... :laughing guy:

• Like 2

We don't get old really, the cells in our bodies gradually get to the point where they fail to replicate as they used to and thus stop working as well.

There's actually no such thing as time it's just an a priori concept we use to get through the day, everything's relative.

Sometimes i wish the band would just call it a day and go into pasture with their grandkids instead of leaving some like me constantly wondering which decade the next rush album will come out.

Not all the time though.

And he still hits the drums so damn hard!!!!

I always wondered why...

It's just the way you do it!

I don't play as often as I used to play...but once in a while I get the urge (like after last weekend's Primus concert.... the riff from Southbound Pachyderm was stuck in my head, so I had to play along to my brain) and if I keep playing after I get the "urge" I usually play too hard...and stuff hurts the next day because I hit hard....

Neil does it for two and a half-three hours...that HAS to hurt!

Meh, do musicians ever really fully retire? Most of the ones I know personally who are older quit gigging on a constant basis, but they still play a lot at home or the every once and a while show. I think Rush is the same way. They will do a gig from time to time and record stuff sometimes. No big whoop ;). Edited by geddylennon

People get way too into whether it's the "end" of the band. Not saying this to offend anyone but, let's not hold the Rush wake just yet (or ever).
  • Like 2

People get way too into whether it's the "end" of the band. Not saying this to offend anyone but, let's not hold the Rush wake just yet (or ever).

Speak for yourself...I've been mourning the death of (live) Rush for over a decade.

• Like 2

Well, we’re not finished as a band. We still talk about recording.

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts … like a week in Massey Hall or Radio City Music Hall.

Can you imagine a week of concerts at either location? That would be wonderful!

ReGor, you'd be in heaven! :wub:

Seriously!

The R30 gig at Radio City Music Hall was the best sounding concert I've ever been to.

Followed closely by Dire Straits on the Brothers In Arms Tour.

Where you ask?

Radio City Music Hall.

Yes, my dear, that would be amazing.

We don't get old really, the cells in our bodies gradually get to the point where they fail to replicate as they used to and thus stop working as well.

There's actually no such thing as time it's just an a priori concept we use to get through the day, everything's relative.

Sometimes i wish the band would just call it a day and go into pasture with their grandkids instead of leaving some like me constantly wondering which decade the next rush album will come out.

Not all the time though.

Didn't you mean "Not all the a priori concept..."?
  • Like 1

Yup. They're the kinda guys who AREN'T going to outright proclaim THIS IS THE LAST TOUR.

Peaceful quiet retirement is right up their alley.

I guess some folks think if they don't deliver it Motley Crue style (FAREWELL TOUR, LET'S CHARGE 5 GRAND A SEAT), there's hope for more. I get it. But really, it's just about how Rush operates. I'd be shocked if they actually titled a tour their actual farewell. Not their bag o' beans. Humility is something Rush gets.

Exactly. I don't think they want to face the fact that they're getting older anymore than we do. I think they'll continue to play and probably record some stuff, but I think this is it as far as touring goes. I don't think we've heard the last new music from them.

• Like 1

Meh, do musicians ever really fully retire? Most of the ones I know personally who are older quit gigging on a constant basis, but they still play a lot at home or the every once and a while show. I think Rush is the same way. They will do a gig from time to time and record stuff sometimes. No big whoop ;).

Bill Bruford! Drummer for Yes, King Crimson, and some of his own solo acts has retired! Wrote his book, and you just don't hear of him doing anything....not saying he doesn't go down town to a pub and sit in with a bunch of old geezers, but he's not playing professionally!