Triumph Thread

Bigbobby10

I was told back in 1986 that if I liked Yes and Rush, I would like Triumph. That turned out to be really true.

I got Thunder Seven, then Stages. Soon after, I got the tablature book for Stages, and it taught me as much about guitar playing as the Rush song book, volume one did.

• Like 3

Been a Triumph fan since high school, mid 80's. I have all their albums. I haven't played any for awhile though and I may have to do something about that soon.

ETA: listening to In The Beginning right now. Love the early stuff!

Edited by catherine
  • Like 3

I have been listening to the earlier albums this week and I came to a realization. Rik Emmett's playing and vocals are the reason I am attached to this band. I don't mean to dismiss the other guy's musicianship, they are great too, but Rik's contributions take the whole thing over the top. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that way?

I was looking on Google at their discography and an album I didn't know about was in there. I was like what?? I must have that. It was released in 1993 and titled Edge of Excess. Well it took about 30 seconds of searching to cool my heels. No Rik on there, and lack luster reviews. I can't even imagine Triumph without him.

• Like 2

I have been listening to the earlier albums this week and I came to a realization. Rik Emmett's playing and vocals are the reason I am attached to this band. I don't mean to dismiss the other guy's musicianship, they are great too, but Rik's contributions take the whole thing over the top. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that way?

I was looking on Google at their discography and an album I didn't know about was in there. I was like what?? I must have that. It was released in 1993 and titled Edge of Excess. Well it took about 30 seconds of searching to cool my heels. No Rik on there, and lack luster reviews. I can't even imagine Triumph without him.

Rik is the big reason why I love them. I honestly say overtime, his voice is better than Geddy's. And he is also my favorite guitar player, I love it. Without him is like without a member of Rush, just not the same

• Like 1

THIS BAND FUKKING RULES!

They are not RUSH JR.

They are their own band.

RIK IS SIKK!

Yeah I never got that comparison. I mean okay they are both Canadian power trios but to me the similarity ends there. I guess also Rik has a large vocal range and can hit high notes like Ged but he can't help that. LOL! Their music sounds totally different to me. I love both bands for what they are/were.

• Like 3

THIS BAND FUKKING RULES!

They are not RUSH JR.

They are their own band.

RIK IS SIKK!

I never liked the Rush Jr term. Realize it's an easy way to compare the bands though. Triumph was their own band. No question. With that, just like any other set of bands, there's a crossover in the sound that appeals to some Rush fans, and vice versa. Being from Toronto and another trio doesn't hurt either.

Love, love, love Triumph. 30 years later. :)

• Like 2

PS: when I saw Rik a month ago, he told the crowd that he was working on a new rock record. Also said that he was trying to convince a couple of guys named Mike and Gil to play on 1 track.

Stay tuned.

• Like 4

PS: when I saw Rik a month ago, he told the crowd that he was working on a new rock record. Also said that he was trying to convince a couple of guys named Mike and Gil to play on 1 track.

Stay tuned.

I'd love to see him on his tour, but there are other shows I need to see more.

Triumph are one of those bands that will lift your spirits no matter how you feel. Very inspiring stuff.

Stay tuned.

Just last week i saw an interview that was done in '08 or '09. Rik was trying to get Mike & Gil together to do something even then. He half joked that he kept inviting them but nobody ever came. You could tell there was that element of him being serious yet the other two didn't seem that interested.

I haven't paid attention to Triumph in decades, perhaps they have a Greatest Hits CD I should buy? They seem to be more like '74-81 Rush then anything later, right?

If you want to start, go with allied forces. And you are about right on what you said, they use keyboards, but they are hard rocking

That or Thunder Seven,

Thats my favorite by them. Great band. Saw them up here back in the early 80's. Loudest concert I have ever attended. I need to dig out my copy of Rik Emmett's and Mike Lavine's autographs and post it. There was an earthquake the day of the concert. That set the tone for the concert. :haz: :D

Here we go. From 1982, a day before the concert. Sorry it has stains on it and has faded some. On the back of a work application. :codger:

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/trout81/IMGP0939.jpg

• Like 6

me too, I listened to Allied Forces just yesterday. I am really looking forward to this release.
  • Like 2