I was totally unaware that anyone had a problem with Countdown...

fraroc

to be honest it is pretty cheesy but I still like it. i love the sound effects and the synths.

Awful, worst Rush song at the time, at least besides Rivendell. I like Alex's guitar but it's hardly highlighted.

This song was more impressive when the shuttle program was new, today it feels dated but is still better than all songs from Presto.

Fixed

Available Light is better much better than Countdown.

• Like 3

This song was more impressive when the shuttle program was new, today it feels dated but is still better than all songs from Presto.

Fixed

Oh dear God no.

I accidentally downloaded "Countdown' as my ringtone last month,

I just took my iPhone 6 and threw it off a bridge into the lake.

That device is tainted with disease now.

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

I think it is a poor effort by the band. This is Rush, the band of 2112, Bytor&The Snow Dog, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, Red Barchetta and the best they can do is that :facepalm:

There's no energy, there is no tension and no atmosphere

"Lit up with anticipation..."

Ummm...if you have to announce it...you probably don;t have it.

Fixed

Oh dear God no.

Dan Fogelberg is not amused.

• Like 1

This song was more impressive when the shuttle program was new, today it feels dated but is still better than most songs from Stryper.

A ringing endorsement, indeed!!!!

:D

It's one of the dorkier songs they've done, but I like it. Funny they wrote a song like this in 82.. Duran Duran they were not.. So uncool, but hey, that's why I love them
  • Like 2

Countdown is a great song and a great way to close the album. Now "Losing it", that's a suck-fest.

Wow, I like that one too. I guess it just goes to show you that we all like something different. :huh:

• Like 1

It's one of the dorkier songs they've done, but I like it. Funny they wrote a song like this in 82.. Duran Duran they were not.. So uncool, but hey, that's why I love them

Yeah, there's definitely part "science nerd" in me, so perhaps that explains it. I do feel like the little kid getting excited about the shuttle taking off when I hear the lyrics. Young at heart I will always be. :LOL:

I've always really liked it. I don't really understand the hate. Seems like a cool song to me.

Me too, I don't understand the hate at all. It's always been one of my favourite songs from Signals.

• Like 3

Yeah, there's definitely part "science nerd" in me, so perhaps that explains it. I do feel like the little kid getting excited about the shuttle taking off when I hear the lyrics. Young at heart I will always be. :LOL:

I'm a science-y space nerd, and I love the video for the footage of the STS-1 launch, and all the chatter from the ground and the astronauts (Robert Crippen, and John Young--who as well as flying the first shuttle mission flew in the Gemini program and two Apollo missions, including walking on the moon as part of Apollo 16. Told you I was a nerd :D ).

• Like 1

Countdown and The Weapon are both pretty bad, imo.

:o

Wow.

Mick

Phoned-in vocals, guitars, and drums. Excellent lyrics, though.

Countdown and The Weapon are both pretty bad, imo.

:o

Wow.

Mick

Phoned-in vocals, guitars, and drums.

Bollocks!

Tony I may dislike you, but this. I'll defend you till the end. The Weapon is f***ing amazing.

Fixed

Oh dear God no.

Dan Fogelberg is not amused.

This Thread is Longer Than.......

I enjoy the The Weapon very much just for the record... :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Disco_ball4.jpg

Sadly I should probably retire this thing :(

Edit: Never Mind... :dweez:

Edited by Narpsberg

Yeah, it's cheesy and dated and not loaded with super complicated riffs and fills and Geddy and Neil both stated their dis-satisfaction with it, that they wished they'd have done it differently, spent more time on it. Even their video is in the kinda lame category (most are), 'cuz they look kinda doofy but the rest is really cool. It's something that I feel fits in with the times quite nicely. I think to some extent, it does capture the suspense, excitement and energy of the moment and I like that a lot. I was always fascinated by the entire shuttle program. One of my favorite rock bands puts out a song about it, or at least their first hand experience witnessing the very 1st STS-1 launch. Now that's just cool regardless as to how good or bad the song is... in my opinion, that is. Some think the shuttle program was all a waste and still is a waste to go up there and... well, anyway. To each his own. It's NOT one of RUSH's greatest compositions that's for sure. I absolutely love it though. Some of the videos others have made with / for it are quite good.

Yeah, it's cheesy and dated and not loaded with super complicated riffs and fills and Geddy and Neil both stated their dis-satisfaction with it,

Do you recall why they're dissatisfied with it?