Would you trade the entire PoW-S&A era of albums for one more album as good as those in the 2112-MP era?

laughedatbytime

Epic question  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade the entire PoW-S&A era of albums for one more album as good as those in the 2112-MP era?

• Yes
    • No

Hell No. Their best album is in the POW to S&A era. I would trade Feedback for another 80s album, but that's about it.

I personally think Rush were at their best starting with CoS, with the end of the streak occurring, not in 1981, but 1989, with the beautiful Presto. As for a dip in quality after MP, I think it lasted just one album, Signals. GUP measured up to the beauty of MP and PoW-Presto were absolutely fantastic.

I know many like to disagree with me on this, and say "I had to be there", but open minded music fans rarely agree with the majority anyway.

Rush were a splendid eighties band, and with experience and a musically broad taste, the three members created music on the same high level, but with a different direction. Hold Your Fire may sound absolutely nothing like Hemispheres, but it is every bit as glorious to my ears (actually, a lot moreso).

Bands like Yes, Kansas and Styx lost their way as the decade progressed, but Rush evolved with the times, and stayed ahead of the curve every step of the way.

To say Rush lost "it" after Moving Pictures makes me question, not the quality of the music, but the taste of the fan. We all have personal taste, and it is important to remember that each and every album is special to one person out there at least.

I would keep the entire discography. Sure, I do believe the band have passed their initial creative peak, but judging by the quality of the recent releases, I suspect we may still have time for one last masterclass of songwriting, and if we do, all the years of experimentation and divisive releases will have been worth it.

And judging by the public and commercial reaction to Clockwork Angels, the band may actually have achieved it already, and the end result is a vast crowd of fans STILL hanker for the olden days of vinyl glory.

I think this in an interesting question, and despite my earlier answer that I would trade certain albums, my answer is defiantly NO.

Rush evolved with every passing decade. And with each decade proving to be very musically diverse from the previous, I think it fair to say every era has been a success, with the band at their real peak when the members were actually in the prime of their life. But RTB-CA has seen the band, perhaps not quite as intriguing as they were in the seventies and eigties, but still every bit as relevant and musically ambitious.

• Like 2

PoW & HYF are 2 of their best albums. Presto, S & A and Counterparts are all very good. Give them up? Hell no!!!!

Agree about PoW, Snakes, and Counterparts. Strongly disagree about Presto, and I wouldn't call HYF one of their best by a longshot, but it has some very good songs.

At least half of Test For Echo is very good, and Vapor Trails is quite the achievement.

I guess we will agree to disagree over Presto & VT - although the re-mix of VT is an improvement.

Great point about T4E. How could I not have mentioned it?? Same on me for not mentioning it. The first side is very good. Unfortunately the 2nd side has Virtuality and Dog Years but it also has the wonderful Resist and Carve Away the Stone. Its a very good addition to their catalog.

A big hell no from me on this suggestion,

You're far too old and cynical to emotionally bond with an album at that level any more. So an album that meets your fantasy standards is not possible.

I think there's some truth to this statement. I pride my self on staying as open minded as possible with new music and I like a lot of new bands, but, as good as I might think an album is (e.g. Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest), I never connect with it quite like I did with albums from my younger days.

Well, my dad doesn't watch westerns all day because they're the greatest movies ever made.

You're far too old and cynical to emotionally bond with an album at that level any more. So an album that meets your fantasy standards is not possible.

I think there's some truth to this statement. I pride my self on staying as open minded as possible with new music and I like a lot of new bands, but, as good as I might think an album is (e.g. Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest), I never connect with it quite like I did with albums from my younger days.

Well, my dad doesn't watch westerns all day because they're the greatest movies ever made.

Well, I agree and I also love western movies but I would swap maybe a "Stagecoach" or "High Noon" inspired intro and intermission videos for whole "Permanent Waves".....

Someone's taken Psych 101 at the local community college and can't wait to show off all of that new knowledge.

• Like 2

Someone's taken Psych 101 at the local community college and can't wait to show off all of that new knowledge.

If his comment was directed at me (he doesn't say - he just let's us all guess), it made me laugh.

I have no emotional bond to Rush. That's why I can be objective about them. That's also why I rank #1 on the Rush Fan Scale. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

If his comment was directed at me (he doesn't say - he just let's us all guess), it made me laugh.

I have no emotional bond to Rush. That's why I can be objective about them. That's also why I rank #1 on the Rush Fan Scale. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

No bond for me either as my many moaning complaining posts would indicate, lol

I should add #1 on a scale from one to ten - ten being the highest. :cool:

• Like 1

I should add #1 on a scale from one to ten - ten being the highest. :cool:

I'll leave the determination of who's a "real fan" to the self styled intellectuals we've seen here...

No need to trade for me. I like CA better than the first 5 records.

CA was (intentionally) excluded from the trade, as it came after S&A.

I would have to say yes. Kill me now but CoS or 2112 part two f**k yeah!

CoS was inexplicably not included, making the trade worse.

So, I would counter the OP's offer with CP, all but 5 songs of S&A, and 3 songs from PoW. Deal?

Not for me.