Why I Hate Moving Pictures

Lorraine

ah.......the first REAL rush album.................yea.........neil's insane.

lol

Mick

I forgot he said that, but you are right. Moving Pictures is when Rush began. Everything before that is like a child's finger painting hanging on a fridge. Or something like that.

If Neil hated the earlier more prog stuff that much.......Why the hell was he there.

not stirring.

it's a good question.

Mick

I don't think he meant it in a derogatory way. I think he means when Rush became a band that everybody noticed and they finally reached an point when artistic and finanical and cultural goals converged. They broke from the pack and stood alone as their own product.

i know he probably didn't mean it that way.

but......i'm just picturing him at his kit in the 70's going crazy to Xanadu all the while thinking

"God DAMN This slop SUCKS."

:laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

If Neil's idea of the "real" Rush was having Geddy completely water-down his signature vocals, doing away with the atmosphere and imagery that the band had previously been so successful in creating, all while copping the look and appearance of the guy who sold parachute pants and Capizeos at the mall - well then, yes, that's when it began ..

Like I said, for me, the beginning of the end

• Like 1

Rejected back cover photo of RUSH from Neil's favorite era:

http://cdn.visualnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/apple-1980s-catalog-04.jpg

That's got Karsh written all over it.

:laughing guy:

You're almost as funny as GeminiRising79!

It's in my top 10 but barely get's played.

It's so burned out.

the curse of a break through album.

Mick

Like Zeppelin IV or Dark Side of the Moon.
  • Like 1

^ Exactly. Except for the occasional listen to Four Sticks, Levee, and Us and Them, I just can't sit through these albums anymore, even while recognizing they're about as perfect as an album can be. I really feel a sense of loss about it actually. No problem listening to Physical Graffiti for the thousandth time, or Wish You Were Here. Strange.

I did force myself to listen to MP straight through a little while ago for the first time in years and I really enjoyed it all, even Tom Sawyer and YYZ, which were the songs I tended to skip once the original luster wore off. Now I just have to wait a few more years and I'll enjoy it again. Regardless, it's an amazing album and all the songs fit perfectly. Have always thought Witch Hunt is placed well and has a vibe that draws you in despite and unpromising or slow beginning, and I've always loved Vital Signs, esp that first refrain. What a hook.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

It's so burned out.

Mick

i love those too but rarly play em.....good examples.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

It's so burned out.

Mick

i love those too but rarly play em.....so good examples.

Mick

Ignore.

Edited by bluefox4000

When MP came out I had it on the turntable constantly. Remember hanging out with a friend on a Saturday. We were doing something Jr. High-ish -- Squad Leader, NFL Strategy, or some such -- and I kept wanting to just listen to MP with an occasional interruption from Pat Benatar's Crimes of Passion which was still pretty fresh and awesome, but my friend wanted to listen to an April Wine album which he was really in to. All I remember was something about a curse of a Gypsy Queen or something or other. Made the return to MP all that more sweet. Tom Sawyer hadn't been played to death and each song that followed was incredible, no break in momentum to my ears. Perfect album. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

No more perfect an album has ever been made, by anyone. Well, The Beatles' white album was pretty darn good, but Moving Pictures is better.
  • Like 1

I love Moving Pictures, and NO album has blown me away as much as this album did when I first heard it....but these days I insist on listening to the original recording, the remaster has taken something important away from it.

Even though so many here have had as much as they can take of Tom Sawyer, I still love and it never gets old for me.

Same here. It's perfect every listen!

That's got Karsh written all over it.

I love that hair...looks like me.

Am I supposed to be ashamed?

I'm listening to Moving Pictures right now. The first time in a while. I can hear why this album not only catapulted them to fame, but got them out of debt as well.

But I'm wondering what it was about the album that held some of you still to Rush. There's nothing about Moving Pictures that sounds even remotely like the Rush of the seventies.

For those of you who were Rush fans in the seventies, do you remember what you thought about Moving Pictures when it came out?

Edited by Lorraine

Lorraine, I wish I could answer your original question today. I'm proud to call myself a long-time fan (a loooooong-time fan)...but I was too young to have been aware of the obvious differences. To my childhood mind, it was Rush, and therefore I was interested. But comparing and contrasting, and being able to weigh how it affected the fan base on the whole (or even just myself, individually)- that didn't happen. I just knew I loved the sound. And still do. :)
  • Like 1