1980-1991 The Best Rush

JohnRogers

I see some of the Long Hair Painted Denim Jacket crowd have spoken, frankly I expected more of them to put down the hash pipe and champion their cause.

;)

1974 -1979 hands down...

No hash pipe (h/t Weezer), but here is the requested Cause Champion:

Ged's bass from these years kicks butt over every keyboard he ever touched. Every one. Still waiting for Ged to be on a top three keyboardists of all time list.

Ged's power Zeppelinesque emotional screaming in this era is better than Ged's measured, safe nonchalant 80s era singing.

Alex' strong, dark, powerful riffs in this era and amazingly insane and creative solo's are much superior to his 80s work. Even he admitted he complained famously about the 80s "...why do I need to find a new space."

Neil, well he is amazing on every album he appears...

Hemispheres, FTK, 2112...they laid it all on the line for these three and it shows...there is nothing close to any of these albums in the 80s, sorry Ged...

• Like 2

I should edit the title to 1980-1989, Roll the Bones is not as good as I misrembered.

I liked RTB until i payed attention to the lyrics. Actually the 90's may well be Neil's worst decade lyrically. Just awful.

Mick

Agreed.

• Like 1

I see some of the Long Hair Painted Denim Jacket crowd have spoken, frankly I expected more of them to put down the hash pipe and champion their cause.

;)

1974 -1979 hands down...

No hash pipe (h/t Weezer), but here is the requested Cause Champion...

I may not completely agree but this man did argue his point well. I bet he had a kick ass 2112 painted denim jacket!

everyone on all rush message boards seems to be goofy head over heels with vapor trails.. not sure why...

Thats because it is a 9/10 and one of the very best Rush albums ever.

• Like 1

I should edit the title to 1980-1989, Roll the Bones is not as good as I misrembered.

I liked RTB until i payed attention to the lyrics. Actually the 90's may well be Neil's worst decade lyrically. Just awful.

Mick

People actually listen to the lyrics? Who knew? :D

• Like 1

Mick

so shocking right? I'm a lyric guy. and Neil's writing took a major hit in the 90's IMO.

Mick

74-81

This^^^^ every day and twice on Sundays...

It's not as if there wasn't good material after 81, but the signal-to-noise ratio began to shift after MP.

Mick

so shocking right? I'm a lyric guy. and Neil's writing took a major hit in the 90's IMO.

Mick

Generally with most music I don't pay much attention. I hear and understand them but just don't 'feel' them. With Neil's lyrics, I've always 'felt' them. :)

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Yes shocking! What makes Rush this great band is the awesome music, musicianship coupled with deep, serious, thought provoking, story telling lyrics unlike Crotly Mu and KISS.

• Like 2

;)

1974 -1979 hands down...

Ged's bass from these years kicks butt over every keyboard he ever touched. Every one. Still waiting for Ged to be on a top three keyboardists of all time list.

Ged's power Zeppelinesque emotional screaming in this era is better than Ged's measured, safe nonchalant 80s era singing.

Alex' strong, dark, powerful riffs in this era and amazingly insane and creative solo's are much superior to his 80s work. Even he admitted he complained famously about the 80s "...why do I need to find a new space."

Hemispheres, FTK, 2112...they laid it all on the line for these three and it shows...there is nothing close to any of these albums in the 80s, sorry Ged...

I understand where you're coming from. But to take it on a bit more of a tangent, away from strictly about the quality of the songs they recorded, or whether or not you prefer the overall sound of one era versus another- I think they became much, much better live performers and much better musicians overall, during the '80s. It was the decade of their greatest improvement, in terms of perfecting their overall craft as musicians.

It is certainly and singularly impressive, to say the least, to have done what they did in the '70s. But I think of an interview that Neil gave around the time of either Power Windows or Hold Your Fire when he said that even though they were not writing and performing the side-long epics anymore, the music they were making then required just as much skill and virtuosity to play. And I believe that's true.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

;)

1974 -1979 hands down...

I understand where you're coming from. But to take it on a bit more of a tangent, away from strictly about the quality of the songs they recorded, or whether or not you prefer the overall sound of one era versus another- I think they became much, much better live performers and much better musicians overall, during the '80s. It was the decade of their greatest improvement, in terms of perfecting their overall craft as musicians.

It is certainly and singularly impressive, to say the least, to have done what they did in the '70s. But I think of an interview that Neil gave around the time of either Power Windows or Hold Your Fire when he said that even though they were not writing and performing the side-long epics anymore, the music they were making then required just as much skill and virtuosity to play. And I believe that's true.

I think this is very true and part of the reason it is true is because they were constantly performing albums such as Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and Moving Pictures. It helped refine their playing chops.

In my mind, no way could Presto and Roll the Bones be considered to be part of "the best Rush" and no way could 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres not be considered part of it. So I'd adjust it to being 1976-1988 - from the release of 2112 to the end of the Hold Your Fire tour. Those 9 albums are my top 9 Rush albums with Clockwork Angels coming in 10th.

In my mind, no way could Presto and Roll the Bones be considered to be part of "the best Rush" and no way could 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres not be considered part of it. So I'd adjust it to being 1976-1988 - from the release of 2112 to the end of the Hold Your Fire tour. Those 9 albums are my top 9 Rush albums with Clockwork Angels coming in 10th.

I been revisiting entire albums lately and I'm starting to come around to a similar opinion.

• Like 1