Clockwork Angels - Why all the hate??

RushianRoulette

I think it's fantastic. I was over the moon when I first heard it, and I don't care about the too-loud sound or whatever. I can hear every note just fine, and it rocks like a muh-fah.
  • Like 3

I don't hate Clockwork per se...I appreciate the return to epic storylines like what they were doing in the '70s. It's just......ehhh. Geddy's voice doesn't do it for me anymore, he sounds terrible still trying to sing high and has a grating quality to it that I can't listen to past a certain point. I hate saying that, he's been one of my heroes for such a long time but age has caught up to him. Also, Neil is still writing lyrics that can't be put to a memorable song. I like CA's lyrics better than S&A but I still don't find myself wanting to listen to it. Also doesn't help that Nick R compressed the crap out of the thing and made everything sound like a wall of distorted mush. And what's with making Geddy sound like he's singing through a cheap telephone in parts of the title song? I can't make out a single word of it.

Nick has to go. He stinks as producer.

Geddy's voice is not that bad.

A-hem

I think i heard my number being called. Words........can literally not express the bafflement and Anger i have towards CA. Back up 2 years. I had lurked on this forum for months. When i heard Rush was releasing a new album. I thought well i must join now. So on release day I raced down to the store. i had liked snakes so i was excited. Although i had not liked the 2 new songs they played on tour. But i let it slide. I put on the CD first 2 songs were the ones i didn't like.......but there was a uh......special shittyness about them this time.

It was the age old problem in these modern time of music. the production. There was absolutely no space between the damn instruments. It was LOUD. the equivalent of just a thousand jack hammers........right next to your ear. I noticed no dynamics either even on the slower tunes. it was just LOUD. Geddy's bass was good but Alex's guitar was a mush Neil's drums are so far buried i don't even know to this day if he's even there. Geddy's vocals are what they are now so not much you could do.

And so it went......track after track......of a brick wall of sound. I looked at the producer.....it was Nick Rascu-whatever. Same guy who did Snakes.....which i thought sounded Great. But this record he thought should be more ......nickelback-like. And the absolutely frustrating thing here is there was some good tunes here. Ruined by Nick.........the record killer, lol. I was appalled. I could not believe that after VT Rush would ever let this happen again. Are they so much older now they don't even check their product. Inexcusable.

But the topper my friends. Was saying to my self.......and i remember it vividly.......there's no way the fans will embrace this slap in their collective Faces.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched in utter horror as this was hailed as the mighty return of Rush.

"Best ever!!!!!!!!!!!'

there i sat and just shook my head. No matter how much i tried to make people see. I was looked at like.......what's the matter with YOU????????

Luckily time has passed. People have cooled down and acknowledged CA's faults Whereas it used to be they wanted to kill me, lol

I've gone on to long. this has crossed into classic Mick rant territory. so i'm done. CA still sucks. it's been about close to a year since i played it. it's not good.

God damn it.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

Its a good album. It thrilled me at the time, but it hasn't grown with me.

Its a pretty strong effort. The best in a long time. The sound is abysmal. Ruins it for me. Having said its a strong effort, I then realize how long its been since I've listened to it and yet have no desire to get it out to listen. Maybe I don't like it as much as I thought. :eh:

A-hem

I think i heard my number being called. Words........can literally not express the bafflement and Anger i have towards CA. Back up 2 years. I had lurked on this forum for months. When i heard Rush was releasing a new album. I thought well i must join now. So on release day I raced down to the store. i had liked snakes so i was excited. Although i had not liked the 2 new songs they played on tour. But i let it slide. I put on the CD first 2 songs were the ones i didn't like.......but there was a uh......special shittyness about them this time.

It was the age old problem in these modern time of music. the production. There was absolutely no space between the damn instruments. It was LOUD. the equivalent of just a thousand jack hammers........right next to your ear. I noticed no dynamics either even on the slower tunes. it was just LOUD. Geddy's bass was good but Alex's guitar was a mush Neil's drums are so far buried i don't even know to this day if he's even there. Geddy's vocals are what they are now so not much you could do.

And so it went......track after track......of a brick wall of sound. I looked at the producer.....it was Nick Rascu-whatever. Same guy who did Snakes.....which i thought sounded Great. But this record he thought should be more ......nickelback-like. And the absolutely frustrating thing here is there was some good tunes here. Ruined by Nick.........the record killer, lol. I was appalled. I could not believe that after VT Rush would ever let this happen again. Are they so much older now they don't even check their product. Inexcusable.

But the topper my friends. Was saying to my self.......and i remember it vividly.......there's no way the fans will embrace this slap in their collective Faces.

I watched in utter horror as this was hailed and mighty return of Rush.

"Best ever!!!!!!!!!!!'

there i sat and just shook my head. No matter how much i tried to make people see. I was looked at like.......what's the matter with YOU????????

Luckily time has passed. People have cooled down and acknowledged CA's faults Whereas it used to be they wanted to kill me, lol

I've gone on to long. this has crossed into classic Mick rant territory. so i'm done. CA still sucks. it's been about close to a year since i played it. it's not good.

God damn it.

Mick

What else needs to be said?

A-hem

"Best ever!!!!!!!!!!!'

God damn it.

Mick

If it makes you feel any better, pretty much EVERY new Rush album is hailed on the fan forums and message boards as "This is the greatest thing they've ever done since Moving Pictures!!!". Happens every time. lol

But seriously, I don't know if there's something wrong with Nick and the bands collective hearing to not notice how compressed and distorted and shitty the mix on CA is. These are all seasoned professionals with years and years of experience and thouands of dollars in equiptment to record and work with. And the end product still comes out sounding like that. I....just....don't....get it.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 2

A-hem

"Best ever!!!!!!!!!!!'

God damn it.

Mick

It has special meaning to me, i genuinely believed it was an all time masterpiece when it was released. My fourth Rush album. A genuine beauty.

But over time, I noticed the dreadful production, and for some bizarre reason it became more and more evident with repeated listens (the total opposite for me regarding the magnificent Vapor Trails). Then as I became acquainted with the entire Rush catalogue, it became obvious that the songs lacked the hooks and melodic strength of their finest work, and being such a lomg album, it isn't surprising to note it has some filler.

The Garden was like my jam for a year. Now I hear it as a rather saccharine, vanilla ballad. Nothing like The Pass, Available Light or Losing It in terms of quality or memorability.

I do have a real liking for a large chunk of the album: Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers, Seven Cities Of Gold, Headlong Flight, Wish Them well...I really like all of these songs. But I am never drawn to play them anymore.

2012 was a year of great music for me. At the time, I deemed this the best of the year. Now, I think differently. No Doubt, Khoma, Lacuna Coil, Muse and a few others released albums that have only improved with time to my ears. This just sounds so old and dated. It honestly lacks the bite and vivacious energy of the best of Rush. And as for modern albums, sorry Mick but Vapor Trails is my favourite, a 9/10 that I have grown to enjoy more than the standard Rush classics (Hems, PeW, Signals).

• Like 2

A-hem

"Best ever!!!!!!!!!!!'

God damn it.

Mick

If it makes you feel any better, pretty much EVERY new Rush album is hailed on the fan forums and message boards as "This is the greatest thing they've ever done since Moving Pictures!!!". Happens every time. lol

But seriously, I don't know if there's something wrong with Nick and the bands collective hearing to not notice how compressed and distorted and shitty the mix on CA is. These are all seasoned professionals with years and years of experience and thouands of dollars in equiptment to record and work with. And the end product still comes out sounding like that. I....just....don't....get it.

Neither do i. And it's really why CA is a dud. Clean it up i might like it.

It's sooooo frustrating.

Mick

A-hem

"Best ever!!!!!!!!!!!'

God damn it.

Mick

It has special meaning to me, i genuinely believed it was an all time masterpiece when it was released. My fourth Rush album. A genuine beauty.

But over time, I noticed the dreadful production, and for some bizarre reason it became more and more evident with repeated listens (the total opposite for me regarding the magnificent Vapor Trails). Then as I became acquainted with the entire Rush catalogue, it became obvious that the songs lacked the hooks and melodic strength of their finest work, and being such a lomg album, it isn't surprising to note it has some filler.

The Garden was like my jam for a year. Now I hear it as a rather saccharine, vanilla ballad. Nothing like The Pass, Available Light or Losing It in terms of quality or memorability.

I do have a real liking for a large chunk of the album: Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers, Seven Cities Of Gold, Headlong Flight, Wish Them well...I really like all of these songs. But I am never drawn to play them anymore.

2012 was a year of great music for me. At the time, I deemed this the best of the year. Now, I think differently. No Doubt, Khoma, Lacuna Coil, Muse and a few others released albums that have only improved with time to my ears. This just sounds so old and dated. It honestly lacks the bite and vivacious energy of the best of Rush. And as for modern albums, sorry Mick but Vapor Trails is my favourite, a 9/10 that I have grown to enjoy more than the standard Rush classics (Hems, PeW, Signals).

That happens with CA for me too. I'm down to 3 songs i like. I don't play it anymore for fear of losing them, lol

Mick

On the production of CA: it's not quite OG Vapor Trails level, but it's produced, like Mick said, like some sort of radio-hit-hard-rock-wannabe band (perhaps Nickelback lol). It's as if they were hoping the album would receive a bunch of airplay and they said "Let's make it LOUD so it will grab everyone's attention!" No dynamics in the music, the quiet parts are as loud as the loud parts, and through it all not a single note to be heard with clear definition (save for Alex's solo in The Garden, which actually sounds decent). I'm curious to know what the band thinks of the production. Does anyone know if they've commented on it? Have they even praised it?
  • Like 2

On the production of CA: it's not quite OG Vapor Trails level, but it's produced, like Mick said, like some sort of radio-hit-hard-rock-wannabe band (perhaps Nickelback lol). It's as if they were hoping the album would receive a bunch of airplay and they said "Let's make it LOUD so it will grab everyone's attention!" No dynamics in the music, the quiet parts are as loud as the loud parts, and through it all not a single note to be heard with clear definition (save for Alex's solo in The Garden, which actually sounds decent). I'm curious to know what the band thinks of the production. Does anyone know if they've commented on it? Have they even praised it?

i'm dying to know their thoughts as well. Just dying, lol. I hate sounding negative a lot but did they even listen to the album. Or did they cut and run so to speak?

Mick

• Like 1

i'm dying to know their thoughts as well. Just dying, lol. I hate sounding negative a lot but did they even listen to the album. Or did they cut and run so to speak?

Mick

Well, they managed to make the same mistakes on CA Tour, so who knows? :huh:
  • Like 1

If they do record another album they should limit the runtime to 40 minutes. Most of their greatest albums do not exceed a 40 minute runtime. Cut the fat.

This I don´t get... just because it´s a shorter album, does that make it better? Is it not better if we get more music on each album?

It felt like when it was released, it was highly and overwhelmingly praised...with time things seem to be going the other direction a bit.

For me it's somewhere low in Rush's top 10 albums. The songs are strong and a throwback to earlier Rush which worked for me. My biggest beef is production. Listening with headphones shouldn't hurt!

• Like 2

I think it's fair. Would be a lot better if they'd worked a bit more on the sonic frequencies. There's a bit too much overlap and noise ratio going on. Most of the songs are decent, but could be much improved if the issues were taken care of.

Best thing since p/g or perhaps MP.

A return to greatness, and after the nadir of their career (S&A) I didn't think it was possible.

• Like 5

CA to my ears is better than these albums:

Fly By Night

Roll The Bones

Snakes And Arrows

That is it.