What do they have against Caress of Steel?

Alchemical

rush have said that when they made the album they loved the album and also said that without COS you would never have had 2112 because it allowed them to experiment. i'm sure they snicker at the album today but i also know they respect it for what it was.

True. You can tell the perfected album side long suite on 2112. Had they done 2112 without FoL or necromancer, I think it would have sounded like crap. Plus without severe backlash from the record company because of CoS, i don't think 2112 would have all the 'anger' and 'emotion' that it has. It probably wouldn't have been written.

In Beyond The Lighted Stage Alex tells about playing the just-finished CoS for Paul Stanley and seeing that he didn't like it. Then Alex said that their manager, critics and fans (who voted by not buying tickets to the point the band called it the "Down The Tubes" tour) apparently didn't get it either.

Neither did the record label, which started threatening to drop them if the next album didn't do better.

Or ask Geddy, who simply said, "We were pretty high when we made that record."

IMO the reason they don't like CoS is that it's by far the worst album of their career.

Not true, their career extended beyond Moving Pictures.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 4

In Beyond The Lighted Stage Alex tells about playing the just-finished CoS for Paul Stanley and seeing that he didn't like it. Then Alex said that their manager, critics and fans (who voted by not buying tickets to the point the band called it the "Down The Tubes" tour) apparently didn't get it either.

Neither did the record label, which started threatening to drop them if the next album didn't do better.

IMO the reason they don't like CoS is that it's by far the worst album of their career.

Not true, their career extended beyond Counterparts.

Beat me to it. i was gonna say see 90's-present, lol

Mick

If I were Geddy, I would shudder at the thought of trying to sing any of those songs, even tuned down, down, DOWN.

But, as others have pointed out, I suspect that album reminds them of a generally dark period in their career (the weak ticket sales, the threats from the label, etc.). I completely agree that CoS paved the way for their "fine, then, we are going to go out with a bang" work on 2112, which ironically paved the way for them to actually tell the label they are going to do pretty much whatever they wanted and gave them the freedom to do things like LaVilla, etc. So, in the bigger picture, the guys probably see the inherent value and role of CoS in their history.

But, again, I can't imagine Geddy wanting to try to hit those notes... not even if Ged does his best James Earl Jones impression (okay, now everyone imagine James Earl Jones' voice saying "Oooh, there's no bread, let them eat cake.... ")

Mick

I did edit it while you were posting! Still agree?

Mick

I did edit it while you were posting! Still agree?

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

Crowds were dwindling during the tour, they even start calling it the "Down The Tubes Tour." So I figure they don't have fond memories of that album and touring.

Yep...this is pretty much it, if you ask me.

I think whenever they think of the album, they immediately think of a few things:

1) The "Down The Tubes" tour

2) Their album with the least commercial success (at least up to that point)

3) The album that almost ended their career

It's really unfortunate because if they listen...at least to most of their hardcore fans (like us here)...Caress of Steel usually gets rave reviews and most of us would like to see some CoS material performed live.

I've only been going to tours since VT...so personally, the only CoS material I've ever seen live is the minute or so of the Bastille Day intro in the 'R30 Medley'.

I would LOVE to see even a few parts of The Necromancer or Fountain of Lamneth...even just some instrumental parts. Would be amazing.

If I were Geddy, I would shudder at the thought of trying to sing any of those songs, even tuned down, down, DOWN.

I think he could handle Lakeside Park, but everything else...eeyup.

Maybe they could tune down an octave or two :D

I think that if they were being set up to play with a different kind of band as the opening act like for Yes, or ELP, or someone that was a little more on the "progressive rock" side of the world, rather than Kiss who was a different style act, they would have had better luck with that album.

Totally agree, Rush opening for Kiss just doesn't seem like a good mix. Was the entirety of the CoS tour spent opening for Kiss? All the talk about low ticket sales could be blamed on Kiss as well if so. As to CoS, I love it!

Its a dark foreboding album. Prefer the 2 surrounding it, but there are some strong moments. I think they could handle parts of the Fountain live if they choose to perform them.

They were high when they made this album. I kind of need to be to listen to it. ;)

I am also of the opinion that the entire team lacked a certain amount of experience. For better or worse I think Terry Brown kind of let them run with their ideas but the ideas needed some tightening that a more seasoned producer might have reigned in. That being said without this experience we may not know Rush as they are today.

They were proud of the album when it came out but certainly frustrated with the lack of commercial success. I think one of the main reasons the tour got the moniker of 'down-the-tubes' was that they had been an opening act up until that point and used to playing bigger crowds/venues than as a headliner.

I don't recall ever seeing a direct quote from the band saying that they didn't like the album or were not proud of it. If someone has the source, please quote it on here. I know Geddy talks about it in BtLS but pretty much just alludes to being stoned when writing it and disappointed that it wasn't more well received.

The album certainly does sound somewhat dated and with the vocals I certainly understand why they haven't played anything off of it live in decades (along with the length of the epics and not wanting to commit a huge chuck of the setlist).

The Necromancer and The Fountain Of Lamneth are Rush's greatest songs (my opinion obviously) which is why it is their best album.

I think that if they were being set up to play with a different kind of band as the opening act like for Yes, or ELP, or someone that was a little more on the "progressive rock" side of the world, rather than Kiss who was a different style act, they would have had better luck with that album.

Totally agree, Rush opening for Kiss just doesn't seem like a good mix. Was the entirety of the CoS tour spent opening for Kiss? All the talk about low ticket sales could be blamed on Kiss as well if so. As to CoS, I love it!

Not entirely sure...you don't hear a whole lot from those years...but some of what you DO hear usually makes it sound like they started playing cruddy clubs and stuff..... I shot a note to someone that might know...

Ok, heard back...CoS tour was mostly in support of Ted Nugent! YIKES!!! Talk about opposites!

I don't know, personally I wouldn't mind hearing Rush play The Necromancer followed by Nugent playing Stranglehold :smoke:

I would've gladly paid to see Rush and Nugent on the same bill.

Just think- tickets to those shows were probably in the neighborhood of six dollars or so.

I've never been a Nugent fan, but six bucks or so to see Rush play for 45-60 minutes? Sure. :ebert:

• Like 1

I saw Ted in 1982...it was loud, it was crazy...(Carmine Appice was on drums, which was why I went) and not the frame of mind I'd have like to hear Rush in....

There was a local-ish band that opened the show (Kix) and Krokus was the middle act... all hard stuff

A little more insight...they played mostly in secondary markets in areas where people were just happy to have live music...didn't matter that it was a mis-match with a good band and an overly loud obnoxious band..Rush gained a lot of fans on this tour apparently...
  • Like 1

I like Ted Nugent.

Saying Caress of Steel is Rush's best record is like saying Ted Nugent did his best work with the Damn Yankees.

Totally inaccurate, but in some ways it was unique and true.

A little more insight...they played mostly in secondary markets in areas where people were just happy to have live music...didn't matter that it was a mis-match with a good band and an overly loud obnoxious band..Rush gained a lot of fans on this tour apparently...

So what this is saying is this opened up the Lincoln, Nebraska market for Rush.

Got it

So what this is saying is this opened up the Lincoln, Nebraska market for Rush.

Got it

yeah...pretty much seemed like mid-western places learned something...

• Like 1