If this is the end of the road, do you think....

Lorraine

This morning I was thinking about if this is in fact the end of Rush, do you think they feel bad? Relieved? Sometimes when you know that it's the end of something, all of a sudden everything becomes precious because you know that it will not be long before it is no more.

I feel bad. But I can't hold onto or freeze time. I often wish I could.

• Like 1

Relieved would be what I would think. I know whenever in my life I have closed a chapter and moved on the feeling of relief was first and foremost what I remember.... :codger:
  • Like 2

I think Neil feels, if not relief, then at least something closer to it than Geddy and Alex do.

According to Alex's radio interview in Toronto last week, he and Neil both had reservations about going out on tour at this particular time, but Geddy was the one who is the most ready and raring to go out of the three of them (which I found interesting, because I thought Alex was the one who is always up for anything, at any time).

I don't like to compare it to the death of a person, but it would be/will be the death of an entity- and as with anything that has been such a huge part of their lives, and of who they are...the complete absence of it, or the knowing and acknowledging that it is forever more a part of the past- sure, that carries sadness with it. And as with any end, or death- it will leave a huge void. (I am speaking for myself and what I anticipate feeling, too). There will be good times and sad times, both.

I said in another thread yesterday that the end of Rush will bring with it a whole host of things that I can't (or maybe just don't want to try so hard to) articulate here. Maybe I'll be able to, later.

But I can't imagine what it's truly like for the band members.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

I caved in and bought tickets for the R40 Tour because it dawned on me that this might be the last time I get a chance to see Rush perform live in concert.

If it is indeed the end of Rush, I will simply tip my cap to them and be thankful for decades of enjoyment provided by one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist.

And to answer the OP's question - I think the members of Rush feel incredibly proud of their achievements. I can't imagine they wouldn't feel privledged, lucky and sincerely thankful to, us, their fanbase.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 5

They've been doing this for 40 years.......if it were me i would have been done about ten years ago. I think they must be relieved. you can only travel and sing and play for so long. Regaurdless of your fans.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

Sometimes the one who fought against it the most is affected by the end of it more than anyone else. In Rush's case, that would be Neil. It wouldn't surprise me if this is their final tour, that we hear at one point down the road that it bothered him the most.

I caved in about bought tickets for the R40 Tour because is dawned on me that this might be the last time I get a chance to see Rush perform live in concert.

If it is indeed the end of Rush, I will simply tip my cap to them and be thankful for decades of enjoyment provided by one of the greatest rock bands to ever exist.

And to answer the OP's question - I think the members of Rush feel incredibly proud of their achievements. I can't imagine they wouldn't feel privledged, lucky and sincerely thankful to, us, their fanbase.

I absolutely agree with everything above. They should be, and I'm sure they are, extremely proud of everything they've done. And I think we very well know how grateful they are to us, the fans, who have supported them- and been gratified by everything they've given to us- chiefly all of the energy and the time they've spent on us. We're left with a lifetime of great music, and the people we've met because of those three amazing musicians.

• Like 2

Nowhere does it say that this is the end of RUSH... The mention "Most likely the last tour of this magnitude" implies that if they tour in the future, it will probably be scaled down a bit, lenghtwise and distancewise.... If you've read the articles from the last year or so, Alex has implied NUMEROUS times that he and Ged are "chomping at the bit" to get together and write some music... He keeps mentioning Geddy's new bass collection, and Geddy has repeatedly said he can't wait to record with them and play live with them..... The story with this tour is that they were pretty tired after the last EXTENSIVE tour, and that Neil wanted to spend time with Olivia while she is still a child, and Alex is just taking it easy for a couple of years..... This tour is a burden to them because it was forced upon them by their management, to try to cash in on the 40th Anniversary, AND is the perfect occasion to do what the fans have always wanted and what Al & even Geddy have always wanted... An old school tour, with all the old songs the fans want to hear.. They have no new songs to push, no album to push, so the setlist will finally be wide open for all the old songs they WANT to play for us, the fans..... Because in 5 years time, IF they decide to tour again, they won't have to drag out Hemispheres, or Xanadu, or Cygnus X1.... IF they ever decide to tour again after this, they will now be able to tour new material, maybe adapted to their age, without feeling like they are letting the fans down by not playing the old stuff we want to hear.. they will have done it, THIS tour..... And you know what? Maybe if Neil never wants to tour ever again, maybe Ged & Al WILL want to make music at some point... Maybe it will be time to just start a new band.... named RASH or something....
  • Like 1

Well, I feel bad. Really bad. Even if they don't. I hate to see anything good come to an end.

I agree with that too.

They should be able to go out however they choose to, and I can acknowledge all of the wonderful things about it, where we can focus our attention- but that doesn't mean that it's all A-OK with me. It's horribly depressing- it means all kinds of things to me that I can't even put into words.

But as with anything else, time will continue to march on. And we will adapt, just as they will have to, to life without the band.

Well, I feel bad. Really bad. Even if they don't. I hate to see anything good come to an end.

I do too, but worse than seeing something good come to an end is the realization that what was good isn't so much any more because it didn't end when it was good.

I do too, but worse than seeing something good come to an end is the realization that what was good isn't so much any more because it didn't end when it was good.

:ph34r:

rush will be like every other band including fleetwood mac. they will not stop till one of them drops... it doesnt matter how old or bad geddy sings. they will milk it till their death.. you see, bands dont make money off albums anymore like they use to, they make it off of ticket sales. touring.. secure that retirement. Edited by nicky6

I would imagine they feel a lot of things in relation to touring. Sadness that they're getting older and can't do it as easily anymore. Relief because touring is hard even on younger people. I doubt if they're feeling happiness in any sense. Getting older sucks.

rush will be like every other band including fleetwood mac. they will not stop till one of them drops... it doesnt matter how old or bad geddy sings. they will milk it till their death.. you see, bands dont make money off albums anymore like they use to, they make it off of ticket sales. touring.. secure that retirement.

I saw Stevie Nicks on the cover of Rolling Stone and looked at the article about her in it. She was complaining how she is 66 and bone tired on FM's current tour. Mick was complaining about Stevie playing her music too loud for him. Stevie, in turn, said she will never have a dressing room next to Mick ever again.

:LOL:

I would imagine they feel a lot of things in relation to touring. Sadness that they're getting older and can't do it as easily anymore. Relief because touring is hard even on younger people. I doubt if they're feeling happiness in any sense. Getting older sucks.

Tell me about it. I wish I had known when I was younger what it was going to be like for me now. I would have had a bigger blast than I had. :LOL:

drama queens for sure. always have been.. how many times is nicks gonna talk about her drug habbits.. ? ha ha ha.. But they keep touring like crazy, they need that money. their lifestyles are too big... and expensive.. I read somewhere that she had a toilet imported from europe for almost 2 million....

rush will be like every other band including fleetwood mac. they will not stop till one of them drops... it doesnt matter how old or bad geddy sings. they will milk it till their death.. you see, bands dont make money off albums anymore like they use to, they make it off of ticket sales. touring.. secure that retirement.

I saw Stevie Nicks on the cover of Rolling Stone and looked at the article about her in it. She was complaining how she is 66 and bone tired on FM's current tour. Mick was complaining about Stevie playing her music too loud for him. Stevie, in turn, said she will never have a dressing room next to Mick ever again.

:LOL:

So in other words, they're getting along just as well as they have for about the past 25 years. :P

• Like 3

They probably won't miss the pain. Playing music can be painful. I come home from a gig with throbbing fingers, a raw voice, sore feet, and a sore back and shoulders after carrying my friggin' sack-o-potatoes bass guitar around all night. And I only play once or twice a month. Plus these guys have 15 years on me.

Sure, they're in much better shape than I am, because it's what they do. But I try to imagine what their muscles and joints feel like, Lee's throat, Peart's entire body (what I don't understand is why he would then want to sit on a friggin' motorcycle for hours and hours the next day).

I do hope that there will be some more music - that they will be keen to keep making music despite it not being remunerative. Their need to create will trump that, I hope.

• Like 1

They probably won't miss the pain. Playing music can be painful. I come home from a gig with throbbing fingers, a raw voice, sore feet, and a sore back and shoulders after carrying my friggin' sack-o-potatoes bass guitar around all night. And I only play once or twice a month. Plus these guys have 15 years on me.

Sure, they're in much better shape than I am, because it's what they do. But I try to imagine what their muscles and joints feel like, Lee's throat, Peart's entire body (what I don't understand is why he would then want to sit on a friggin' motorcycle for hours and hours the next day).

I do hope that there will be some more music - that they will be keen to keep making music despite it not being remunerative. Their need to create will trump that, I hope.

I would imagine they run a lot of hot water and use a lot of BenGay. :LOL:

• Like 1