Vinyl good or overrated?

nicky6

alot of talk about how vinyl is coming back and sounds better than this and that.

Really, its an expensive hobby and alot of work. Its hard to keep dust off record no matter what. Now the only way vinyl can sound good is if you have a$10,0000 system and a expensive stylus. then maybe. but otherwise it just sounds muddy, and no matter how good the condition or new your vinyl is. it will all get those pops and crackles... cds dont do that..

Today's albums are not recorded with vinyl in mind. To your point, they are released for hobbyists.

And, yes, you actually lose some of the overall sound quality on a newly released because because digital recording to vinyl doesn't translate well.

However, if you can get a hold of some older albums on vinyl, there is a warmth and overall feel to the medium that is hard to explain, but worth it if you have the time, interest, and, yes, money.

• Like 2

I was in a recording class several years back, and one night we had an extra-curricular-activity night at the prof's house...(pizza/beer/wings)...with the premise of discussing the various listening mediums that are out there. He used one song from one album (Steely Dan's Aja album...forget the song he actually used...it WAS about 20 years back) but he used every medium that it was available on at the time. Vinyl, CD, Cassette, 8-Track, Reel to Reel, DAT, and PCM F-1 (which was the Beta-max tape) The only thing he DIDN'T have at his house was an actual 24-track master.

Long story short...he played us each and every version...and we talked about it and voted on what we liked the best, and it was a toss between the three digital mediums. We also decided that you could make anything digital SOUND like what pleased people about vinyl by pushing the bass frequencies up a tad to replicate the R.I.A.A, amplifier ... which is the thing that decodes the bass on a vinyl album so you can listen to it.... (plug your turntable into your cassette jack once, and play it....)(he did that too, that night) (and btw...the amp is the "warmth" that's hard to explain on old albums)

So MY opinion of it....dig your vinyl, spend your money, it's hip, it's the new "in" thing to do if you're an "audiophile"...but you can keep it! I'll use my CD's, push the bass, and make life simple!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 2

It's good and overrated.

I enjoy the process of listening to vinyl and I enjoy the convenience of digital formats.

When push comes to shove, my ears really don't give any format an edge.

In fact, sometimes I feel vinyl can be a very pretentious pursuit.

• Like 1

I just buy vinyl for the artwork. I do play my records, and old shit sounds pretty cool, but people who think vinyl is the best something can possibly sound period are blinded by their nostalgia goggles.
  • Like 1

Why does this attention whore keep posting general topics in the main Rush forum?

Actually, I just answered my own question.

Wanker.

even though he put it in the wrong spot, I think I like a discussion like this more than one where we're supposed to guess what geddy/alex/neil is/are thinking about something, based on characteristics we know from interviews.

• Like 1

It made Vapor Trails sound good to me for the first time ever. So go figure that one out?.... :codger:
  • Like 1

Today's albums are not recorded with vinyl in mind. To your point, they are released for hobbyists.

And, yes, you actually lose some of the overall sound quality on a newly released because because digital recording to vinyl doesn't translate well.

However, if you can get a hold of some older albums on vinyl, there is a warmth and overall feel to the medium that is hard to explain, but worth it if you have the time, interest, and, yes, money.

Warmth is the way to describe it, the result of the recording of a coninuous analog wave, as opposed to distinct bits of digital data. With good equipment, the difference can be felt, if not distinctly heard.
  • Like 1

Warmth is the way to describe it, the result of the recording of a coninuous analog wave, as opposed to distinct bits of digital data. With good equipment, the difference can be felt, if not distinctly heard.

yeah, this is true for old shit.

It's a little of both really. I import a lot of CDs into iTunes using the highest quality settings available. The difference in sound quality between that and a good, clean record is un-noticable to my ears. I have a pretty decent system, but far from top-of-the-line. Most of the time I prefer the digital format because there is no hiss, no pops, no surface noise. So if you came up in the digital age and are exploring vinyl you will most likely not like the sound of vinyl because of the inherent flaws of listening to something that requires two things to rub against each other, put simply.

However, I grew up when vinyl was king and, yes, nostalgia is a part of why I still purchase and listen to records. As mentioned by a previous comment, there is a certain warmth to the sound of a good, clean record even if it is due more to the amp. And if it's just in my mind doesn't mean it isn't real! Also, you can't beat records for their visual appeal, the cover art, the special inner sleeves, the inserts.

As far as cost goes, it's like anything. What do you want to spend? It's only very costly if you're buying only new or very hard to find vinyl. Look on eBay, craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores, local record store. Every independent record store I've ever been in has a bargain rack. Look on the floor under the standing racks, there's usually some cheaper stuff hidden down there. I never fail to find some obscure treasure. Granted used vinyl is hit-and-miss, but you will find out what your threshold is for extraneous noise in relation to how much you paid for it.

alot of talk about how vinyl is coming back and sounds better than this and that.

Really, its an expensive hobby and alot of work. Its hard to keep dust off record no matter what. Now the only way vinyl can sound good is if you have a$10,0000 system and a expensive stylus. then maybe. but otherwise it just sounds muddy, and no matter how good the condition or new your vinyl is. it will all get those pops and crackles... cds dont do that..

Edit: Dismissing most adult listeners' use of vinyl as "nostalgia" is condescending at best and completely misinformed at worst.

You sound terribly petulant, but with a little real information, you should be okay.

Preface: Don't be fooled by the Crosleys they sell in Barnes and Noble, the current hipster turntable equivalents of a 70's Speak-and-Spell. Don't also be fooled by the $10K boutique behemoths fawned over in audiophile rags. Both are completely unnecessary to good analog reproduction.

1. It's really not a lot of work. You clean your vinyl once a year or so with a cheap ($99) rotary machine, clean your stylus every few weeks with something as simple as Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and avoid dropping your albums, and you're good to go. If you want to invest $5K in a top-of-the-line vacuum and liquid cleaner, you can, but that's really not necessary.

2. Expensive is relative. For the price of 2 Silver VIP Rush tickets, you can have a really good, dependable turntable and cartridge and some well-reviewed interconnects.

3. Vinyl sounds as muddy as the pressing, plus whatever speakers you're playing it through. A good pressing played through decent speakers sounds transparent and holographic. You can get Stereophile Recommended Components speakers for under $300. You have to do some research about which old pressing is the best, of course. And keep in mind that many new releases are mastered and compressed at levels that WILL muddy up the sound over sub-par home stereos. Many new releases are recorded and mastered with car stereos and earbuds in mind.

4. An old record is going to have pops and cracks unless you thoroughly clean it - and even then it will as the grooves have probably been microscopically scratched and have dust ingrained within. Still, a "continuous analog wave" is going to present itself much better than a sequence of ones and zeroes played by a cd player with a high jitter rate and decoded by a pedestrian DAC. Most people have crappy cd players. Most also listen to horribly compressed mp3's, eschewing lossless FLAC's and the like because of the space they take up.

5. Yes, much depends on the amp. The same can be said for any sound source. If you're using a Best Buy-grade Pioneer or mid-level Onkyo or the like, you're not going to get much in the way in fidelity, especially if you're using a receiver designed for home theatre.

For the price of two VIP Gold Rush tickets, you can have a good TT, cartridge, IC's and phono stage amp, and listen to years of music as opposed to three hours.

Edited by coventry
  • Like 6

It's good.

Unless you have the right equipment and a good set of ears, the sound quality boost (though present) is not that noticeable, but the novelty of staring at the big artwork, taking the sleeve off, and placing the needle, and flipping the record part way through is a great feeling. Especially so for Records designed with flipping in mind. Some of my favorite albums have their tracks connect without break except where the vinyl needs to be flipped, and a definite ending is present. On CD it sounds inconsistent, but on Vinyl it's perfect
  • Like 2

It made Vapor Trails sound good to me for the first time ever. So go figure that one out?.... :codger:

Do you listen much to Vapor Trails now? What do you think about it now when you can enjoy the songs?

I am one of those that do enjoy vinyl, and I listen to vinyl almost every day. But I also agree that vinyl does not sound better then CD. But it´s nicer if you doesnt wanna do anything else but listen to music. I love it when I sit and just listen to Hemispheres on vinyl. It´s a great feeling!

It does depend on the record too, i played a few cuts off donald fagan's solo album for a friend. and it sounded really good on vinyl, my friend was impressed. now i could play him a few other records that wouldnt sound so good or the same...

Take the remasters right out of the equation for a minute. Rush's music (and the music of most artists pre-CD) were written, recorded, and mastered for the analog sound of vinyl. That was the medium back then. This is history. This is nostalgia. This is a reminder of a simpler time. When I open my 1976 version of 2112 with its musty aroma and that glowing star staring at me in full 9 x 9 glory, its takes me back to a place when these three musical geniuses decided to buck the trend and do things their way. Do I expect "perfect" sound? No, of course I don't. I expect 1976 sound. I help to enhance that by having a good needle, a good cartridge, and good tonearm, and good plinth, a good amp, and good speakers. This is what vinyl is. It is an experience. It is time-travel. Its not for everyone. Is the sound better on vinyl than CD? Maybe. I listen to 2112 on both mediums. I listen to my CD/Mp3 in the car or at work because I want to listen to the music. I go home at night and listen to the vinyl to feel the music. At some point in 1976, someone else had my copy and experienced the same feeling when that needle dropped for the first time.

Remember...its all about the music. How you experience it is up to you.

• Like 5