Most underrated musicians

fraroc

Donnie Iris! One of the most powerful voices in rock!

I've seen him live multiple times. Him and the Crusiers bring it every time.

Check out 'Ah Leaha' 'Love is like a Rock' 'Do you Compute' 'That the way love aught to be' for some classic tunes by this man!

I love that album.

Same here. Really reminds me of the 80's.

• Like 1

I think neither Page or Richards is overrated. Richards is a brilliant rhythm guitarist. Listen to "Street Fighting Man". It's a brilliant recording and innovative production, because of Keith Richards. And it's only one example out of many.

As for Page, unfortunately he blatantly lifted too many blues riffs without giving or admitting to due credit. That's the only criticism I can give Page. Aside from his musicianship, he's as brilliant a producer as there is. Top notch.

Toto

How is Toto underrated?

Toto has 8-10 very good songs and albums full of boring, mundane crap.

I'd rather go to a dentist than listen to Hydra or Fahrenheit, for example. :D

"Endless" is very underrated song though. It kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntu5GumlKqU

Did you slag off my Fahrenheit?

O my days I wanna chuck a frozen melon at your face so bad...

...so very, very bad...melon...your face...KERPLONK

However...Endless is my favourite Toto song. So for that I will partly defrost it...

drummers - Brad Wilk,Vinnie Paul,John Densmore,Greg Eklund

bands - Everclear (pre millennium and original lineup),Living Colour,Roxy Music (at least on this board),Psychedelic Furs,Fountains of Wayne

Living Colour for sure.

Vinnie Paul is a beast. I don't know how he could play like he did (does?) with Pantera while also being so out of shape but he did!

I remember Midnight Oil from the eighties.

They have many awesome albums. Their musicial style has changed a lot since they began but have been really consistent throughout their career (maybe excluding most of the Breathe album). Kind of like RUSH I guess in that way.

Here's a late one that's really cool, especially if you like clowns or McDonalds:

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

Damn, Midnight Oil. I always forget about Midnight Oil!

I'd still list them as my favorite band, with DT and RUSH right behind. I've never seen energy like that from any band ever, especially in their prime.

This is a really old 1982 clip of "Powderworks" (a 1978 song of theirs) but it's exhibit A to see what I'm getting at. Watch how Garrett makes his entrance, it's one for the ages lol. Too bad they editied the whole middle part out for TV. The whole song is on their Scream in Blue Live album though, complete with a drum solo intro.

Huey Lewis!

Has to be done. Local guy! Was friends with Phi Lynott! He's on some live Lizzy. He's on a Phil solo album!

Huey Lewis And The News is underrated.

Everyone on the Rush Forum has a hard on for the boys to play "Jacob's Ladder" again. Well I think Huey's tune of the same title is amazing! It's on the "Fore!" album. Underrated stuff!

Have you ever seen the movie "Short Cuts?" Huey Lewis is in the movie and you can see his penis. Let's just say the man is blessed.

Everyone on here has a hard on for "The Trees." Well I love "Forest For The Trees." It's also on "Fore!" Huey Rocks!

He has "The Heart Of Rock And Roll"

Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorites by him. He really deserves more credit.

Frank Zappa. Considered a god by many, but not enough.

I dont consider him that. Hes just my favorite contemporary (meaning modern) composer and my favorite guitar player. He was also a very intelligent man and the fact that he survived in the music business despite having absolutely zero commercial potential is a bloody miracle.

• Like 1

Malcolm Young. AC/DC was his band right from the start, but Angus and the singers got all the media attention. Still, Malcolm is probably the best rhythm guitarist in rock'n'roll ever. Save perhaps for Keith Richards.

I want to say Jani Liimatainen, ex-member of Sonata Arctica. He devises some amazing guitar solos

http://youtu.be/m9w7jfR0GtM

Yep. Still stand by this. Have been standing by it for years. Short (typically short anyways), sweet, and impressive solos. He really got me interested in guitar solos in general.

No one writes solos like he does