The Police: One Of The Greatest Bands In The World? Klerk Kant? Andy Summers? Sting Shit? Love It Or Hate It? "ZENYATTA" IS EPIC! Copland Rules

RUSHHEAD666

I read Sting's Broken Music years ago. He definitely has a way with words. As an English teacher, I wasvery impressed with the turn of the word.

Rerushed, thank you for the link.

What does Stewart mean by this:

"There was a time when bands like Rush were the epitome of what The Police were theoretically against, which was an overemphasis on musicality. "

The Police liked punk rock more than prog rock.

But they didn't sound punk rock. When I think punk rock, I think Ramones or Sex Pistols or Devo.

"There was a time when bands like Rush were the epitome of what The Police were theoretically against, which was an overemphasis on musicality. "

But they didn't sound punk rock. When I think punk rock, I think Ramones or Sex Pistols or Devo.

The first two albums definitely had a punk rock vibe. "Next to You", "Truth Hits Everybody", "It's Alright for You"...

The first two albums definitely had a punk rock vibe. "Next to You", "Truth Hits Everybody", "It's Alright for You"...

I'm not familiar with those songs. At least I don't remember them by title.

One thing I have learned being here is that I really know very little about music compared to many of you. I used to think that I knew a lot a long time ago, but now I know that I didn't back in the day and I know even less now.

By the way, speaking of punk rock, is CBGBs still in existence?

Edited by Lorraine

One thing I have learned being here is that I really know very little about music compared to many of you. I used to think that I knew a lot a long time ago, but now I know that I didn't back in the day and I know even less now.

Sadly, CBGB is no more.

What it really means deep down is that the guys in The Police weren't as good musicians as the guys in Rush and they knew it.

If anyone here loves The Police and has never watched the Synchronicity Concert DVD, you are missing out on some experience.

I thought Rush had energy. The Police were phenomenal. That Sting was one handsome man. Handsome is an understatement really. Looks like he had porcelain skin.

Here I thought Neil had a lot to do. Copeland not only played the drums, he sang harmony too while each hand was doing something different.

Love how Sting always engaged the audience to sing along and other things.

Only thing I didn't like were the dancing chicks on stage. Not necessary. At all.

Does anyone know why their drummer had his hand taped up in black tape?

That was a great concert, very energetic. I don't know where the idea for the girls came from other than Sting could have some fun flirting with them. One or two of the gals ended up singing backup on Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles and was in his concert video Bring On the Night. Check that one out Lorraine, I think you would like it.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

What it really means deep down is that the guys in The Police weren't as good musicians as the guys in Rush and they knew it.

Funny. Andy Summers was a huge influence on Alex ' s playing. The reverse is not true.

I think it was Sting's idea to have more people on stage...I'm not sure about Andy, but I know that Stewart hated it.

You'd think Sting would be the last one to want to share the limelight with anyone. :)

In the short interview that is included on this dvd, they had said they were going to take a two year break and then get back together, but they never did if I remember correctly. Did any of them ever say why they just broke up completely? They seemed to all get along with one another, or so they said.

I think it was due to jealousy over all the attention Sting received. Supposedly he and Copeland came to actual blows during the recording of Syncronicity.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-did-the-police-break-up.htm

• Like 1

Your picture isn't showing up for me, but it's an upright something he's playing.

It is an upright bass, a more modern one as opposed to the bigger double bass you usually see in traditional jazz groups. One of the things I always liked about Sting was the story about his getting started playing in a jazz band and wearing yellow and black outfits, hence where his nickname came from. I enjoy his solo album I mentioned earlier, he brought jazz musicians in like Branford Marsalis (sax) Kenny ? on keyboard and I can't remember the other guy. Anyway I have seen it at the theater several times and own the video, love the jazz riffs they play.

Geddy talks highly of Jaco Pastorius (Weather Report bassist) and I believe he played a Pistorius bass on one of their tours.

• Like 1

Kenny Kirkland (R.I.P.).

Oh I didn't know, sad. It looked like he had a lot of fun on that tour, I know he was a well respected player. :sigh:

Funny. Andy Summers was a huge influence on Alex ' s playing. The reverse is not true.

I'm not sure what your point is? Most guitarists have many influences.

Seriously, Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are in the same league as Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. They just took a different perspective and attitude in performing.

Check out some of Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland's solo work - it's varied and challenging.

• Like 3

I don't think that's necessarily true. I played the bass when I was younger (I don't much anymore). Sure Sting didn't have songs like La Villa, but he had lots of very complex, and interesting, bass lines. Spirits in the Material World is a great example. Most drummers I know will tell you Copeland is fantastic. And Robert Fripp sought Andy out to work with.

• Like 2

I wish I knew how to tell what makes a musician's work complex as opposed to run of the mill and admire those of you who are able to do it.

This morning I noticed that the place out here that gives music lessons had a sign on their outside board that said "Piano Lesson Starting At Age 3". I thought if I had a daughter, that is where I would take her. If I had only listened to my mother when she was pleading with me to take piano lessons when I was very young.

I think it was Sting's idea to have more people on stage...I'm not sure about Andy, but I know that Stewart hated it.

You'd think Sting would be the last one to want to share the limelight with anyone. :)

In the short interview that is included on this dvd, they had said they were going to take a two year break and then get back together, but they never did if I remember correctly. Did any of them ever say why they just broke up completely? They seemed to all get along with one another, or so they said.

I think it was due to jealousy over all the attention Sting received. Supposedly he and Copeland came to actual blows during the recording of Syncronicity.

Rhyta, thanks. That was an interesting read. Clash of the egos. It's amazing that Rush avoided the same.

• Like 1

Rhyta, thanks. That was an interesting read. Clash of the egos. It's amazing that Rush avoided the same.

That's true. I can't remember any other band who were together for so long without a lineup change.

• Like 1

I wish I knew how to tell what makes a musician's work complex as opposed to run of the mill and admire those of you who are able to do it.

This morning I noticed that the place out here that gives music lessons had a sign on their outside board that said "Piano Lesson Starting At Age 3". I thought if I had a daughter, that is where I would take her. If I had only listened to my mother when she was pleading with me to take piano lessons when I was very young.

I'm not sure you need to play an instrument, or have some special ability, to recognize it Lorraine. I think you could probably do it if you think about it for a moment. For example, guys like Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai are as fast as anyone on the guitar. However, I personally think you can find someone at any Guitar Center in any city who can do the things they do. But listen to Alex's playing on Different Strings. It's perfect for the song. That takes talent.

My point is that the Police were, and are, excellent musicians, certainly as talented as the boys in RUSH. They just have different interests musically.
  • Like 3

My point is that the Police were, and are, excellent musicians, certainly as talented as the boys in RUSH. They just have different interests musically.

As far as musicianship goes I don't agree, but I think the boys on The Police were very talented players and songwriters.