The Police: One Of The Greatest Bands In The World? Klerk Kant? Andy Summers? Sting Shit? Love It Or Hate It? "ZENYATTA" IS EPIC! Copland Rules

RUSHHEAD666

I love Canary in a Coalmine. That is probably my favorite Police song, ever.

The lyrics in Canary in a Coalmine are "a stab in Mr. Copeland". The canary was used in the early days in mining, and the bird would get restless in its cage at the earliest sign of a gas leak. A metaphor for Copeland´s ego and susceptibility to the most innocent of jokes. Mind you, I think that Sting´s antics within the band were really annoying, so it´s hard to blame Stewart for being that way.

I knew that Sting and Copeland got on each other's nerves, but I had no idea the song was about them. . I just like the song and the boppy baseline.
  • Like 2

There´s a bonus disc on the Certified DVD that documents how the reuinion tour came to happen. Some funny moments:

During one rehearsal Sting stops everything and complains with Andy, who replies "what?! I ws singing in tune!", to which Sting says: "yeah, you were singing in tune, you just weren´t singing the way I asked you to". On another scene, Sting suggests Stewart to change his drum fill, and Stewart says "are fcuking kidding me? Modern Drummer would give an award named after that drum fill alone!"

• Like 2

Sting sounds like a control freak.

He is!!! How dare he try to interfere with Stewart´s drum fills? I think Vinnie Colaiuta (who joined and left his solo band multiple times) has gone on record to say that during the recording of an album he´d ask him to do almost 20 takes of each song, only to chose the very first take as the one to make it to the album.

• Like 2

Sting sounds like a control freak.

He is!!! How dare he try to interfere with Stewart´s drum fills? I think Vinnie Colaiuta (who joined and left his solo band multiple times) has gone on record to say that during the recording of an album he´d ask him to do almost 20 takes of each song, only to chose the very first take as the one to make it to the album.

I'm going to see if I can find that dvd on youtube and watch it.

Aww, thanks, Rod! :)

Edit: I never heard Stewart's voice before. He doesn't sound the way I thought he would. His voice is much lower than I imagined.

Edit: I'll tell you right now. With my temperament, if it has been me, already (and I'm only at 4:54), I would have told Sting to kiss my behind and would then say ""Bye!")

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Sting says that slowly they were getting up to speed during rehearsals - they could play 10 or 12 songs in a day, but they needed to get through 24 songs in two hours.

I guess Rush goes through the same thing.

Edit: :LOL: Sorry. But I really get into these documentaries. Can you imagine the feeling when they walked on-stage that first night in Vancouver and heard that audience?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2