The Police: One Of The Greatest Bands In The World? Klerk Kant? Andy Summers? Sting Shit? Love It Or Hate It? "ZENYATTA" IS EPIC! Copland Rules

RUSHHEAD666

If anyone here has the Sychronicity tour dvd, what kind of guitar is Sting playing during Don't Stand So Close To Me and Synchronicity II? It doesn't sound like a bass, and that's what I thought he played, or is he another multi-talented performer?

The white one? That's a Spector NS-2 bass.

I'm impressed!

That I knew what it was? I'm a Sting fan from WAY back. :)

Yes! You Rock!!! :)

• Like 3

If anyone here has the Sychronicity tour dvd, what kind of guitar is Sting playing during Don't Stand So Close To Me and Synchronicity II? It doesn't sound like a bass, and that's what I thought he played, or is he another multi-talented performer?

I'm impressed!

Lorraine, Sting did play guitar on a few tours. Most notably, his first one after The Police took a break in 1986. If you hear the album Bring on the NIght, it´s Sting on guitars and Daryl Jones (who would years later join the Rolling Stones) on bass.

• Like 2

I'm impressed!

Lorraine, Sting did play guitar on a few tours. Most notably, his first one after The Police took a break in 1986. If you hear the album Bring on the NIght, it´s Sting on guitars and Daryl Jones (who would years later join the Rolling Stones) on bass.

Your knowledge of the Police is excellent.

• Like 1

Hearing Sychronicity as the first ever album I heard on vinyl inspired me to get a record player and start a record collection, something I've now had at least a couple terrible nightmares about losing. As soon as those first couple (synth?) notes play, I'm hypnotized. I even love "Mother" actually, zaniest 12 bar blues I've ever heard.

Oh yeah.

I read here regulary how rush was influenced by the police which i take with a grain of salt. Reggae was permeating all through popular music and i think its silly to think it was all due to the police.

When was the first reggae tinged version of working man?

Oh yeah.

I read here regulary how rush was influenced by the police which i take with a grain of salt. Reggae was permeating all through popular music and i think its silly to think it was all due to the police.

If I recall, Neil does tend to point out that he listened a lot to both the Police and the Talking Heads back in the late 70s and early 80s. Didn't he even put them into his pre-show tapes?

• Like 1

Oh yeah.

If I recall, Neil does tend to point out that he listened a lot to both the Police and the Talking Heads back in the late 70s and early 80s. Didn't he even put them into his pre-show tapes?

You very well be right and i have no doudt that the police being a great trio was an influence.

Rush has always been a musical sponge. Absorbing modern sounds.

snd yeah i remember that the poice recorded at le studio. Or at least i hope remember...

• Like 1

The police released regatta de blanc a few months prior to permanent waves so it seems to me that if the police was the reggae influence than the first record did the trick.

My point is not to diminish the police but reggae influence was widespread. Clapton. The stones. Led zep etc etc

• Like 2

Yes, it was white, and the reason why I asked is because it didn't sound like a bass at all to me.

Yes, it was white, and the reason why I asked is because it didn't sound like a bass at all to me.

I haven't seen the DVD you're referring to so I can't say unless he had it run though some kind of effects.

I haven't seen the DVD you're referring to so I can't say unless he had it run though some kind of effects.

During that song, the camera was mostly on him and I was watching his fingers and listening to the music. It sounded almost like he was the only one playing until towards the end of the song I saw Andy playing too. But whatever Sting was playing, it didn't sound like a bass to me. You would know. Maybe you can find the video on Youtube for that song from the Synchronicity concert.

During that song, the camera was mostly on him and I was watching his fingers and listening to the music. It sounded almost like he was the only one playing until towards the end of the song I saw Andy playing too. But whatever Sting was playing, it didn't sound like a bass to me. You would know. Maybe you can find the video on Youtube for that song from the Synchronicity concert.

It was probably Andy playing if I had to guess but I'll look for it.

Tangy!!

All I know is that you RULE!!

I may rule but its a very small kingdom.

I like them all but zenyatta and gghost in the machine are the standouts imo.

In particular the last three songs on gitm.

Omega man secret journey and darkness!

• Like 1

Sting´s most recent efforts are a joke...I liked most of what he did up to Brand New Day, and that came out in 1999. Since then, he´s put out a lute album, a "winter themed album", an orchestral album and a soundtrack to a play. Oh, and don´t forget Sacred Love, an album full of leftovers, rewrites, live versions, cover songs etc. It seems the well has gone dry for a long time now.

Sting´s most recent efforts are a joke...I liked most of what he did up to Brand New Day, and that came out in 1999. Since then, he´s put out a lute album, a "winter themed album", an orchestral album and a soundtrack to a play. Oh, and don´t forget Sacred Love, an album full of leftovers, rewrites, live versions, cover songs etc. It seems the well has gone dry for a long time now.

Rod! I absolutely love Sting's first solo record and the second one is a masterpiece. But that was it for me! Soul Cages should have been Souless Rages.

JUNK!

Sting is nothing without The Police.

He's a loser man.

A Millionaire Loser.

Must be nice to be an oxymoron.

• Like 1

Even Sting doesn't have a bottomless pit when it comes to talent, but I understand he is worth over $200,000,000, or is it $400,000,000?

He said that when they played the last Synchronicity tour concert at Shea Stadium, he looked out at the 70,000 Police fans in the stadium and knew it couldn't get any better than that. After the concert, they all went back to their rented Long Island homes, and Sting turned to Stuart and said that maybe it would be best for them to quit while they were on top rather than trying the impossible - maintaining what they had.

That is the story. Whether it is true or not, I don't know, but I do know from what I've read that during that tour, Stuart couldn't stand him anymore. Not sure where Andy stood.

Edited by Lorraine

He said that when they played the last Synchronicity tour concert at Shea Stadium, he looked out at the 70,000 Police fans in the stadium and knew it couldn't get any better than that. After the concert, they all went back to their rented Long Island homes, and Sting turned to Stuart and said that maybe it would be best for them to quit while they were on top rather than trying the impossible - maintaining what they had.

That is the story. Whether it is true or not, I don't know, but I do know from what I've read that during that tour, Stuart couldn't stand him anymore. Not sure where Andy stood.

Weird they seemed to patch hints up in time for Stewie to be the best man at Stings wedding.