The Police: One Of The Greatest Bands In The World? Klerk Kant? Andy Summers? Sting Shit? Love It Or Hate It? "ZENYATTA" IS EPIC! Copland Rules

RUSHHEAD666

I thought The Police sounded the best they could, considering how different people/musicians they became after the band split. Some of the songs sounded completely different from the original recording -Wrapped around your finger included. But the show was great, and Stewart kicked ass as usual. I strongly recommend you check out the Certifiable DVD recorded in Argentina a frw days after the show I went to.
  • Like 1

That's a shame that this is so expensive today. Hard to believe we used to pay five dollars at one time.

Here's a stub from 1983's Synchronicity tour. $16.50. Two days earlier I saw the Tacoma show , a show that included the Fixx and Thompson Twins as well.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjYxWDczNg==/z/16EAAOSwMpZUqIEI/$_12.JPG

Festival seating - or standing - I had worked my way to the front by Message in a Bottle, right in front of Sting. One of my greatest concert memories.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Goose, that Tacoma show must have been great with The Fixx and the Thompson Twins. That would have been just about the time or a bit before the latter got off the ground.

Yeah...it was great. The Twins were just getting started, and they were great. fantastic. Edited by goose
  • Like 2

That's a shame that this is so expensive today. Hard to believe we used to pay five dollars at one time.

Here's a stub from 1983's Synchronicity tour. $16.50. Two days earlier I saw the Tacoma show , a show that included the Fixx and Thompson Twins as well.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjYxWDczNg==/z/16EAAOSwMpZUqIEI/$_12.JPG

Festival seating - or standing - I had worked my way to the front by Message in a Bottle, right in front of Sting. One of my greatest concert memories.

I saw the same show at Sullivan Stadium (the site of the Patriots' current home, but not the same structure). I needed an oxygen mask we were so high up.

• Like 1

Man it's 11:15 here. I want to go into my garage and play to all five Police albums NOW!

But I can't!!!! Ugh!

My snare pad is going to get abused tonight!!

Stewart Copeland rules!! He's relentless. One of the greatest timekeepers in the world. Yet he says he plays his drums and cymbals one inch to the right.

Always ahead of the beat I suppose. Genius.

That would be to to the left........ 3/4

Man it's 11:15 here. I want to go into my garage and play to all five Police albums NOW!

But I can't!!!! Ugh!

My snare pad is going to get abused tonight!!

Stewart Copeland rules!! He's relentless. One of the greatest timekeepers in the world. Yet he says he plays his drums and cymbals one inch to the right.

Always ahead of the beat I suppose. Genius.

That would be to to the left........ 3/4

Whoops!

I have a Police music question for those of you who are musicians.

I'll take the song Every Breath You Take as an example. Is that the bass or regular guitar that I hear primarily through that? It sounds to me that whatever that is, whoever is playing, likes to "pluck" at the guitar a lot. In any case, I hear that sound a lot in many of their songs.

It is a constant plucking sound like the guitarist (or bassist) is just plucking at one chord. I hear it mostly on EBYT and Wrapped Around My Finger.

If you listen to WAMF, it begins with the chorus of the song being sung. EBYT it is throughout the song and is easier to hear because there aren't that many instruments in the song.

Hard to say which you're talking about since EBYT is mainly just plucked notes. Could be guitar OR bass. Both Andy and Sting used to use staccato single notes a lot.
  • Like 1

Hard to say which you're talking about since EBYT is mainly just plucked notes. Could be guitar OR bass. Both Andy and Sting used to use staccato single notes a lot.

Thank you, Eagle. I didn't even know there is a such a thing as "plucked notes." I just called it that because that is exactly how it sounds. And those "staccato single notes" certainly gave their music an unique sound.

If you listen to WAMF, when they start singing the chorus, if you have headphones on, it is on the left side you will hear what I am talking about.

Edited by Lorraine

Thank you, Eagle. I didn't even know there is a such a thing as "plucked notes." I just called it that because that is exactly how it sounds. And those "staccato single notes" certainly gave their music an unique sound.

If you listen to WAMF, when they start singing the chorus, if you have headphones on, it is on the left side you will hear what I am talking about.

Hmmm.... It's really easy to pick out the different instruments in their songs, and that one in particular. I hear the bass doing the low notes during the chorus, and the guitar doing the higher shimmery single notes...

Hmmm.... It's really easy to pick out the different instruments in their songs, and that one in particular. I hear the bass doing the low notes during the chorus, and the guitar doing the higher shimmery single notes...

It's easy for you because you have a trained ear :), but I wasn't sure whether it was the bass or the guitar because what was being played seemed to be a low note. Again, if you put headphones on, it is prominent on the left side. You can't miss it - It keeps playing the same note over and over.

It's easy for you because you have a trained ear :), but I wasn't sure whether it was the bass or the guitar because what was being played seemed to be a low note. Again, if you put headphones on, it is prominent on the left side. You can't miss it - It keeps playing the same note over and over.

Then that would be the bass. Sounds like he's playing a fretless bass in that song, which makes the notes sound a bit less "distinct", and a bit "softer." Not in loudness, but in tone.

• Like 2

Then that would be the bass. Sounds like he's playing a fretless bass in that song, which makes the notes sound a bit less "distinct", and a bit "softer." Not in loudness, but in tone.

What is a "fretless bass"?

How about at the end of Do Do Da? What's that - bass or regular guitar?

I used to love The Police when I was about 13. I had their first 3 albums and used to listen to them constantly. I remember going to my local record shop with my best friend who bough Copeland's Klark Kent EP on 10" lime green vinyl - can't remember how it sounded though. I lost interest in them as I got very heavily into prog bands in the early 80s and had pretty much forgotten about them but just yesterday one of my kids was streaming Regatta de Blanc. This brought back loads of memories - they actually were a really good band and individually talented musicians.
  • Like 1

I used to love The Police when I was about 13. I had their first 3 albums and used to listen to them constantly. I remember going to my local record shop with my best friend who bough Copeland's Klark Kent EP on 10" lime green vinyl - can't remember how it sounded though. I lost interest in them as I got very heavily into prog bands in the early 80s and had pretty much forgotten about them but just yesterday one of my kids was streaming Regatta de Blanc. This brought back loads of memories - they actually were a really good band and individually talented musicians.

Yes, they were a good band. Like yourself, I have loads of memories too associated with their songs.

I have to say though that I think Rush was more versatile as musicians than they were. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what is sounds like to my untrained ear.

• Like 1

Yes, they were a good band. Like yourself, I have loads of memories too associated with their songs.

I have to say though that I think Rush was more versatile as musicians than they were. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what is sounds like to my untrained ear.

Not sure who are the most versatile individual musicians, but Rush as a band were certainly more versatile than The Police, hence their ability to adapt and remain inventive over a 40 year + career. I like The Police, but I love Rush.

• Like 2

Stewart is friends with Neil these days, and he says he mocks Neil about Rush being so pompous and grandiose at some point that they were the complete opposite of what The Police tried to convey - less is more.

Fretless bass is a bass without frets...

:LOL: That's what I was about to write. Geddy plays a fretless bass in Malignant Narcissism. It also allows you to slide notes up and down the fingerboard without hearing the click of hitting the frets. That little bit at the end that is a slide up is him doing that.

Edited by EagleMoon