Rolling Stone names top albums of 2014; U2, Springsteen take top two spots.

laughedatbytime

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways gets crossed over. At least the rock albums took the top 2, even if one is overhyped and the other is one of the most irritating bands out there, with an extremely boring guitarist to boot.

The Foo Fighters are one of my top 3 bands and their latest album, not that good.

Wasting Light and ESP&G are better and probably my favorites, but this one I really enjoyed, particularly "Outside". Loving the twists and turns they're doing in the middle of the song with all those time changes then that subtly beautiful guitar solo from Joe Walsh.

Gary Clark Jr.'s guitar work on the 4th track is nice as well. He's one of the better mainstream acts out there now. Feast And The Famine and In The Clear are my favorites on the album.

Edited by invisible airwave

:blink: Just glad I haven't heard of most of them....

I guess I should be grateful I haven't heard any. :codger:

Guys, I love you all, I really do, but come on, how can you be so proud in not knowing new music? Music is the blood of life, I can never stop exploring, tasting, discovering... The moment I say I don't want to hear new music will be the moment I die.

it might seem strange to us because this is a music forum, but nearly every person I talk to about music who is around narp and lorraine's age says the same stuff they do. I've never met anyone over 50 who stayed up to date with music after the 90s.

• Like 2

You haven't heard of Bruce Springsteen or U2? Your dial-up must be slower than you let on.

Hahaha I meant I haven't heard any of the albums, and anyone that came on the scene after 1992.

Guys, I love you all, I really do, but come on, how can you be so proud in not knowing new music? Music is the blood of life, I can never stop exploring, tasting, discovering... The moment I say I don't want to hear new music will be the moment I die.

I don't really care about music anymore other than Rush. I'm sixty. I know that is hard for you to comprehend having never been that old.

There's more to life than being up on bands and musicians. :)

it might seem strange to us because this is a music forum, but nearly every person I talk to about music who is around narp and lorraine's age says the same stuff they do. I've never met anyone over 50 who stayed up to date with music after the 80s.

Adjusted slightly... :LOL: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Of all the albums on this list, I own one, Sharon Van Etten's Are We There, and yes, it deserves to be on there (probably higher too). Of the rest there are some recognisable groups that are know for being good, but a lot of this feels the companies bought the spots on the list. U2 at number one, come on!

Just checked, Songs of innocence has a 65 on metacritic, the one publication to give them a review deserving a top spot, the rolling stone, big shock. Meanwhile Are We There is according to Metacritic the fifth most critically acclaimed album of 2014, yet only gets number 20.

I don't really care about music anymore other than Rush. I'm sixty. I know that is hard for you to comprehend having never been that old.

I have to take issue with this statement. Not that being up on bands and musicians is the most important thing ever, but still being excited about music, at any age, should be something that's invigorating for anyone who still enjoys any kind of music, regardless of genre.

But, I suppose it could be different for people. I just can't see myself turning any age and thinking, "Well, I'm done with music except for Rush [or insert other band name here]." That would be depressing for me, especially after music has gotten me through many tough times, while also helping me celebrate the joyous times. But that's me.

• Like 1

I have to take issue with this statement. Not that being up on bands and musicians is the most important thing ever, but still being excited about music, at any age, should be something that's invigorating for anyone who still enjoys any kind of music, regardless of genre.

But, I suppose it could be different for people. I just can't see myself turning any age and thinking, "Well, I'm done with music except for Rush [or insert other band name here]." That would be depressing for me, especially after music has gotten me through many tough times, while also helping me celebrate the joyous times. But that's me.

How old are you?

You were right about one thing. That's you.

There was a time in my life - quite a long while in fact - when music was all I had. No one here will ever know or could ever know what it has meant to me in my life.

I tell you this because you seem to think that because you now think the way you do, you will always. That is not always the case. Life has a way of changing your priorities.

Edited by Lorraine

Only speaking for myself it was just a matter of priorities. Working, raising children, golf, bowling, the joys of home ownership and taking care of it etc took over and next thing I knew 25 years gone by and here I am.... :huh:

To paraphrase Flavor Flav, Mother f**k RS and John Wayne!

I refuse to trust the opinion of a magazine that puts Disney teen girl pop like Swift and Grande in the top 50 especially Rob Sheffield. God, he gets on my nerves.

^^^This. I have not looked clcked on the link, nor do I intend to. F- - k Rolling Stone Magazine.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

How old are you?

There was a time in my life - quite a long while in fact - when music was all I had. No one here will ever know or could ever know what it has meant to me in my life.

I tell you this because you seem to think that because you now think the way you do, you will always. That is not always the case. Life has a way of changing your priorities.

I feel every word our palindrome friend has said.

I have an issue too with the use of the old phrase "There's more to life than...". Don't you think it's kinda... preachy? I know you too well to even think you meant that. After all, you're a Quadrophenia fan! :cool:

But still, you know I'm no spring chicken either. So far curiosity and discovery have defined my life, maybe it will change. But I fear that if I'll ever come up with saying "I don't know anything about this, it's too new for me", I'll say it with a shade of regret.

I'm 54 and I think I've kept up with a lot of newer music over the years but I think part of that may be because I'm a musician. I have been introduced to a lot of great music by younger people and even older people as well. I love hearing great music, regardless of when it was created. I think as people get older they have a tendency to look back fondly at the music of their early years. Teens and 20s especially. It's easy to get into a rut of not seeking out new things as the years go by but I think we all need to fight the tendency. Music is lifes blood.

• Like 1

I'm kind of with Lorraine and Narpski in that life has a way of changing your priorities, and as such keeping up with music for its own sake certainly isn't one. But, I like to keep an open mind and when I hear something new that I like I check it out. Some cool discoveries like the always excellent Sufjan Stevens and St. Vincent, and the occasional one-song appeal like "Young Folks" or Beacon's "Bring You Back," to name a couple. Danger Mouse-produced albums tend to be excellent as well. That's my 50-ish year old guy take on post-90s music, for what it's worth. I have to run into it to take notice, but I'll take notice. Mostly I just stick with the tried and true; after several decades of vetting it tends to be a well that doesn't run dry, like classic Rush.

How old are you?

I feel every word our palindrome friend has said.

I have an issue too with the use of the old phrase "There's more to life than...". Don't you think it's kinda... preachy? I know you too well to even think you meant that. After all, you're a Quadrophenia fan! :cool:

But still, you know I'm no spring chicken either. So far curiosity and discovery have defined my life, maybe it will change. But I fear that if I'll ever come up with saying "I don't know anything about this, it's too new for me", I'll say it with a shade of regret.

To each his own. And, here's a :hug2: for my dear HPL! :cheers:

The only think about TRF that irks me from time to time is the inability of some here to understand that not everyone thinks as they do and, on account of that, the opinion that differs from their own can't be valid. We are all different. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Speaking of Bruce and U2, I had the extreme misfortune of hearing him butcher two U2 classics (and I like Springsteen). Glad those versions didn't show up in my iTunes.

I also like Springsteen and I agree he did butcher those songs. It was a total stylistic mismatch. Overall, I found it boring and uninspired.

• Like 1

Fuc%ing absurd. If Neil Young and Lou Reed released albums this year theyd be #'s 3 and 4. Joke.

Neil Young released two albums this year. And, last I checked, Lou Reed is dead!

metal machine music 39th anniversary triple deluxe edition was given a bomb symbol by robert christgau, and was therefore not eligible for RS's list

The only think about TRF that irks me from time to time is the inability of some here to understand that not everyone thinks as they do and, on account of that, the opinion that differs from their own can't be valid. We are all different. :)

Agreed. Except any opinion on Springsteen other than "he sucks" really cannot be valid.

• Like 1

Agreed. Except any opinion on Springsteen other than "he sucks" really cannot be valid.

You suck