Rolling Stone names top albums of 2014; U2, Springsteen take top two spots.

laughedatbytime

:facepalm:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-albums-of-2014-20141201/taylor-swift-1989-20141201

At least they left TayTay Swift out of the top ten...

Oh wait...

• Like 1

I know what you mean. Any time there's a category in Jeopardy with contemporary pop music I write it off...and then tell my wife I'm glad I don't know these.
  • Like 3

I know what you mean. Any time there's a category in Jeopardy with contemporary pop music I write it off...and then tell my wife I'm glad I don't know these.

The kids Jeopardy just had one and I was like :eh: .... :LOL:

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways gets crossed over. At least the rock albums took the top 2, even if one is overhyped and the other is one of the most irritating bands out there, with an extremely boring guitarist to boot.

:codger:

As someone who has seen Springsteen live numerous times, holds a massive collection of "Boss" ephemera, used to obsess over his music, and at one point felt certain that I was the biggest Bruce fan on the planet, I must assert that High Hopes' position as the second best album of the year is laughable, and revealing (if we needed more proof) of just how tight Rolling Stone magazine is with Jon Landau and Bruce Springsteen. And that is to say nothing of how that same cohort controls the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." And U2's Songs of Innocence is the best album of the year? As Palmer so eloquently stated not long before he too thinged out, "You've got to be f*cking kidding."

U2 and Springsteen #1 and #2? How cute. Maybe they'll mention this when they play their free show together in Times Square.

I used to adore Springsteen (and to some degree still do), but he hasn't delivered a good album since at least Magic. I'm a pretty serious U2 enthusiast as well, but their new album is utterly forgettable. Point is, I'm a big enough fan of both groups to acknowledge and admit that this is a travesty.

End rant.

• Like 1

This from a magazine put Springsteen in their top 100 Guitarists.....Cause power chords over and over is just so damn impressive.

Mick

not to defend rolling stone or anything, but I really don't think that list was supposed to be about technical ability.

• Like 1

This from a magazine put Springsteen in their top 100 Guitarists.....Cause power chords over and over is just so damn impressive.

Mick

not to defend rolling stone or anything, but I really don't think that list was supposed to be about technical ability.

I agree. It still brought my blood pressure up though, lol

Mick

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways gets crossed over. At least the rock albums took the top 2, even if one is overhyped and the other is one of the most irritating bands out there, with an extremely boring guitarist to boot.

The Foo Fighters are one of my top 3 bands and their latest album, not that good.

The Foo Fighters are one of my top 3 bands and their latest album, not that good.

Wasting Light and ESP&G are better and probably my favorites, but this one I really enjoyed, particularly "Outside". Loving the twists and turns they're doing in the middle of the song with all those time changes then that subtly beautiful guitar solo from Joe Walsh.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Rolling Stone has become fairly predictable when it comes to these lists, which is why I tend to not pay much attention to them.

Neat side-note: I opened for Benjamin Booker (number 37) back on Halloween. Really cool guy. He's got a great sound...kinda like Chuck Berry meets The Clash with a pinch of Black Keys. Over a few games of ping pong during soundcheck, I talked to him about what it was like touring with Jack White and playing on Letterman and Jools Holland...very humble dude.

B1u09S3CQAAatg1.jpg

:blink: Just glad I haven't heard of most of them....

I guess I should be grateful I haven't heard any. :codger:

You haven't heard of Bruce Springsteen or U2? Your dial-up must be slower than you let on.

there's no way she doesn't know springsteen or U2 haha

I have never listened to a Springsteen album, and the last U2 album I heard (Before the latest) was Unforgetable Fire.

The latest offering from the band is a "shocker". I fear they are finished creatively. They should concentrate on

tax avoidance and Bono's plethora of public appearances.

Bruce Springsteen's new album is utter crap!

Like major turd.

And I am a massive Springsteen fan. High Hopes was worse than the flu. A curse of the winter period.

Craaaaaap!!

:blink: Just glad I haven't heard of most of them....

I guess I should be grateful I haven't heard any. :codger:

Guys, I love you all, I really do, but come on, how can you be so proud in not knowing new music? Music is the blood of life, I can never stop exploring, tasting, discovering... The moment I say I don't want to hear new music will be the moment I die.

• Like 2

:codger:

As someone who has seen Springsteen live numerous times, holds a massive collection of "Boss" ephemera, used to obsess over his music, and at one point felt certain that I was the biggest Bruce fan on the planet, I must assert that High Hopes' position as the second best album of the year is laughable, and revealing (if we needed more proof) of just how tight Rolling Stone magazine is with Jon Landau and Bruce Springsteen. And that is to say nothing of how that same cohort controls the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." And U2's Songs of Innocence is the best album of the year? As Palmer so eloquently stated not long before he too thinged out, "You've got to be f*cking kidding."

U2 and Springsteen #1 and #2? How cute. Maybe they'll mention this when they play their free show together in Times Square.

I used to adore Springsteen (and to some degree still do), but he hasn't delivered a good album since at least Magic. I'm a pretty serious U2 enthusiast as well, but their new album is utterly forgettable. Point is, I'm a big enough fan of both groups to acknowledge and admit that this is a travesty.

End rant.

Magic is sooooo underrated. That's the best post 9/11 album of his. Agreed on U2 as well. You know you've sold out when you work with Will.i.am. and that One Republic wanker on your albums. And I thought Coldplay with Rihanna was bad enough. Speaking of bands that suck now. Ghost Stories was awful beyond belief. I've lost my patience with that Martin douchenozzle.

• Like 1