The GUN thread

physics23

Oh crap, the thread returns. sad.gif

Oh well, welcome to the board! smile.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 26 2006, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 26 2006, 09:44 PM)
I fired my first guns today. Went to the range with my brother-in-law and his bro-in-law, both, as they put it, "card-carrying, gun-toting Republicans."  tongue.gif  I don't include myself in that group, but I wanted to learn from the best. waffen093.gif

I started out firing my bro-in-law's .22 cal Ruger rifle with scope -- pretty much the equivelant of the bunny slope. I put up a target depicting cute woodland animals like bunnies and gophers ("I smell varmint poontang") and at 30 yards I did pretty well. Thirty yards ain't much, but hey, not bad for a noob shooter.

Then I tried his new baby, a .40 cal Baretta PX4 Storm handgun. Not a whole lot of kick, and it's pretty damn accurate, which made it easy to learn with. After a few tries I was grouping my shots pretty well with it. I enjoyed shooting that one the most.

The other guy brought a few handguns. I tried his Smith & Wesson .45 cal, which was pretty cool, but not as much fun as the .40 cal. Also tried his .22 cal High Standard pistol, which is a toy compared to the others, but fun to target shoot with nonetheless. His other gun (which I didn't try) was a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, which was louder than hell, and the only gun in the bunch that was felt from four feet away. TONS of kick and a muzzle flash that could light up a night sky.

Definitely fun stuff and I'm sure I'll be doing it again.

ohmy.gif

I've never fired a gun in my life. Should I hand in my REPUBLICAN membership card now? sarcasm.gif

tongue.gif

You can shoot mine when you come out here to missouri.

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD????

Ok, I have 3 handguns I use for personal defense, as a MO Concealed Carry permit holder.

Springfield Armory 9mm service model. (16 round mag +1)

Bersa Thunder Plus .380 (15 round mag +1)

AMT Backup DAO .380 (5 round mag+1)

In cooler weather, I carry the Springfield as primary, and the Bersa on my body, fully loaded with an extera clip on my belt for the 9mm.

In warmer weather I carry the Bersa as the primary with the AMT as the BUG (backup gun.) I also carry a backup magazine for the Bersa.

I never leave home without all three.

In winter, I can lay down 49 bullets without going back to my car.

In summer, I can lay down 37.

Whichever one I am not carrying goes on the passenger seat, because I can't draw from concealment while seatbelted in.

You can pledge to protect your family, but if you don't have the tools to do so...you will lose.

I have a shooting range in the woods....Who wants to come out?

#73, I personally invite you...you can check out my studio while you're here!

653.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 12 2007, 10:49 AM)
I fired my first guns today. Went to the range with my brother-in-law and his bro-in-law, both, as they put it, "card-carrying, gun-toting Republicans."  tongue.gif  I don't include myself in that group, but I wanted to learn from the best. waffen093.gif

I started out firing my bro-in-law's .22 cal Ruger rifle with scope -- pretty much the equivelant of the bunny slope. I put up a target depicting cute woodland animals like bunnies and gophers ("I smell varmint poontang") and at 30 yards I did pretty well. Thirty yards ain't much, but hey, not bad for a noob shooter.

Then I tried his new baby, a .40 cal Baretta PX4 Storm handgun. Not a whole lot of kick, and it's pretty damn accurate, which made it easy to learn with. After a few tries I was grouping my shots pretty well with it. I enjoyed shooting that one the most.

The other guy brought a few handguns. I tried his Smith & Wesson .45 cal, which was pretty cool, but not as much fun as the .40 cal. Also tried his .22 cal High Standard pistol, which is a toy compared to the others, but fun to target shoot with nonetheless. His other gun (which I didn't try) was a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, which was louder than hell, and the only gun in the bunch that was felt from four feet away. TONS of kick and a muzzle flash that could light up a night sky.

ohmy.gif

I've never fired a gun in my life. Should I hand in my REPUBLICAN membership card now? sarcasm.gif

tongue.gif

Ok, I have 3 handguns I use for personal defense, as a MO Concealed Carry permit holder.

In cooler weather, I carry the Springfield as primary, and the Bersa on my body, fully loaded with an extera clip on my belt for the 9mm.

In warmer weather I carry the Bersa as the primary with the AMT as the BUG (backup gun.) I also carry a backup magazine for the Bersa.

Whichever one I am not carrying goes on the passenger seat, because I can't draw from concealment while seatbelted in.

You can pledge to protect your family, but if you don't have the tools to do so...you will lose.

653.gif

Damn Geds you are walking Armory!

I got a cheap .25 pistol locked away somewhere.

I got a Weatherby 270.

I've owned a few shotguns but don't own one now and am in the market for a new one. It would be more for home defense so I will probably get a mossberg with a pistol grip.

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 12 2007, 11:49 AM)

ohmy.gif

tongue.gif

653.gif

Impressive Armory......Bottom line, if your gonna take a shot at him make sure its in the summer time...you may have a fighting chance......I take that back...your dead!

I missed this one too...

I've shot the following:

M16 when I was in the air force

Glock 9mm

Winchester 30-06

numerous .22 pistols

and I own a Remington 870 express 12 ga. for deer hunting.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Sep 12 2007, 11:50 AM)

Well, tangy....I try, ya know? cool.gif

I've owned a few shotguns but don't own one now and am in the market for a new one.  It would be more for home defense so I will probably get a mossberg with a pistol grip.

Why not consider a handgun instead?

1. More concealable, giving you the element of surprise because it is more likely you will keep it with you since it's not 3 feet long.

2. More bullets....the high-capacity double-stack magazines you can get for some pistols are awesome...most shotguns are no more than 5 shots, and legally only 3....Remember, 80% of your shots will miss in a firefight.

3. Faster reloads...I can slap another 16 rounds into my gun in the time it takes you to slap 1 shotgun shell in.

4. More precision...you can take out your target without taking out mom's china cabinet.

5. 1 handed operation, in case you are using your other hand to ward off an attacker, or, like I intend to do if it ever comes up, draw the weapon with my right and my can of mace with the left...so that I can control the situation without lethal force if necessary.

6. Safer...if you have a handgun, you are more likely to carry it with you than a shotgun...which means it is where YOU is. You'd be leaving the shotgun at home when you are not there, which puts your only weapon right into the hands of an intruder...and not into yours.

Just something to think about....if you really are interested in home security, consider making it PERSONAL security.

QUOTE (lmnopqrstuvwxYYZ @ Sep 12 2007, 01:42 PM)
http://www.hat.net/album/south_america/patagonia/001_buenos_aires/11030004_big_gun.jpg

I just picked up this little beauty for opening day of squirrel season.

My coworker wants 2 of those and a flamethrower to add to his personal armory....

And if you think I'm loaded for bear...he has more magazines on him than I do.

When we go to walmart together....ain't nobody taken' us down.

or anyone else if we can help it.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Sep 12 2007, 06:47 PM)
Glock 21
Glock 30
S&W 29 (Dirty Harry!)
A couple of 12 gauges
A couple of AK-47's

Nice!

be careful with the glocks...a st. louis police officer shot himself in the leg reholstering his today...

That's why I like the springfield armory...it has a grip safety, but otherwise, it's very much like a glock.

Not sure of the details on that yet though, it might have been a slam-fire.

I bet his face looked like this: ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 12 2007, 02:15 PM)

I've owned a few shotguns but don't own one now and am in the market for a new one.  It would be more for home defense so I will probably get a mossberg with a pistol grip.

1. More concealable, giving you the element of surprise because it is more likely you will keep it with you since it's not 3 feet long.

2. More bullets....the high-capacity double-stack magazines you can get for some pistols are awesome...most shotguns are no more than 5 shots, and legally only 3....Remember, 80% of your shots will miss in a firefight.

3. Faster reloads...I can slap another 16 rounds into my gun in the time it takes you to slap 1 shotgun shell in.

4. More precision...you can take out your target without taking out mom's china cabinet.

5. 1 handed operation, in case you are using your other hand to ward off an attacker, or, like I intend to do if it ever comes up, draw the weapon with my right and my can of mace with the left...so that I can control the situation without lethal force if necessary.

6. Safer...if you have a handgun, you are more likely to carry it with you than a shotgun...which means it is where YOU is. You'd be leaving the shotgun at home when you are not there, which puts your only weapon right into the hands of an intruder...and not into yours.

Just something to think about....if you really are interested in home security, consider making it PERSONAL security.

I appreciate the advice Geds and will consider all of that.

I probably will end up with a better handgun at some point. I want one of the "backpacker" models which are a small and light .45. Not fun to shoot but if a bears chewing on your ass in your tent it would do the trick.

In terms of a worse case scenario of home defense I wonder if I would be better off with a pump shotgun though. I just have so much more experience with that type of weapon from bird hunting to shooting skeet. I've shot a fair number of pistols but nothing near the times I have fired shotguns. I might ditch the idea of a pistol grip too and get a regular pump 12 gauge.

I am afraid I might freak out and not be able to shoot a pistol straight under the extreme circumstances, whereas with the 00 Buckshot I will be taking wide swathes.

Once again, I appreciate your advice and expertise and will let you know what I end with.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Sep 13 2007, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 12 2007, 02:15 PM)

I appreciate the advice Geds and will consider all of that.

I probably will end up with a better handgun at some point. I want one of the "backpacker" models which are a small and light .45. Not fun to shoot but if a bears chewing on your ass in your tent it would do the trick.

In terms of a worse case scenario of home defense I wonder if I would be better off with a pump shotgun though. I just have so much more experience with that type of weapon from bird hunting to shooting skeet. I've shot a fair number of pistols but nothing near the times I have fired shotguns. I might ditch the idea of a pistol grip too and get a regular pump 12 gauge.

I am afraid I might freak out and not be able to shoot a pistol straight under the extreme circumstances, whereas with the 00 Buckshot I will be taking wide swathes.

Once again, I appreciate your advice and expertise and will let you know what I end with.

trink39.gif

I understand the fact that you are not as experienced with a handgun...neither was i until i got them.

now, with many, many hours at the range shooting, i am VERY fluent in the operation and use of each of my handguns.

Just like music...it's all about practice.

Yeah, i'd be interested in what you end up getting....but I'd love to see you try to shove that full-length 12 guage pump into an inside-the-waistband concealement holster....

unsure.gif

Edited by Geds

I like guns - I was raised with a healthy respect for them, and how to safely handle them by my dad. I shot one for the first time at the age of 8. It was a Ruger .44. It clonked me in the head and I blacked out for like 2 minutes....I still like to shoot, though laugh.gif I much prefer the .22 or .44 rifles that he has...I don't know exactly what models he has...but I know he has a couple Rugers and a couple Smith & Wessons - I know he has more, but I've lost count over the years laugh.gif

It's been years since I handled a weapon but I will try to list what I have used if I can remember them.

m16

m203

m60

saw

.45 pistol

9mm pistol

.38 revolver

.22 rifle

1903 springfield

ak47

.50 cal

m24

mp5

m47 dragon

tow

various mortars

claymore

there has to be more but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

my fav was either the m60 or .50 cal. I can remember screwing around with the 50 and literally "cutting" down trees with it. The m60 was just a lot of fun to toe around and fire.

Ok, I might be getting a chance to trade in my AMT .380 Backup DAO on a Keltec P3AT....a MUCH smaller .380 caliber pistol, small enough to hide in a powershot-sized camera case.

That would be awesome.

(The AMT I will be trading is the stainless one on the right)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/geddylee2001/DSCF0861.jpg

Edited by Geds

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 18 2007, 06:54 PM)
Ok, I might be getting a chance to trade in my AMT .380 Backup DAO on a Keltec P3AT....a MUCH smaller .380 caliber pistol, small enough to hide in a powershot-sized camera case.

That would be awesome.

(The AMT I will be trading is the stainless one on the right)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/geddylee2001/DSCF0861.jpg

Done!

Pictures later after i get done breaking in the P3AT.

wub.gif

unsure.gif

Am i the only one in here?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 11:20 AM)
Americans love their guns, make no mistake.

Yes, and so do the bad guys the world over.

The difference here?

I'm LEGAL, and MY guns will never be used in the commision of a crime as long as they are in my possession.

I'm just not stupid enough to think that my fists are an acceptable counter to a criminal with a gun.

However, you go ahead.

smile.gif

I just enjoy hunting, and I fund guns are a much more effective means of bagging my prey than say a sling shot. wink.gif

Actually, I know a lot of guys who hunt deer with a bow. But that takes much more patients than I possess.

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 20 2007, 10:42 AM)

Yes, and so do the bad guys the world over.

The difference here?

I'm LEGAL, and MY guns will never be used in the commision of a crime as long as they are in my possession.

I'm just not stupid enough to think that my fists are an acceptable counter to a criminal with a gun.

However, you go ahead.

smile.gif

Whoa, easy big guy!

Ain't nothin' wrong with having a gun or six in the house.

I myself own a .308 (which has never been fired).

My friends used to ask me why I bought the damn thing to which I would always reply: "it's better to have a gun and not need one than it is to need a gun and not have one"........

If anything, I'm jealous that it's easier to own a firearm in the US than it is in Canada. I had to get a criminal records background check, take the CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) and then apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence.

Be proud of your guns!!