The GUN thread

physics23

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 20 2007, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 11:20 AM)
Americans love their guns, make no mistake.

Yes, and so do the bad guys the world over.

The difference here?

I'm LEGAL, and MY guns will never be used in the commision of a crime as long as they are in my possession.

I'm just not stupid enough to think that my fists are an acceptable counter to a criminal with a gun.

However, you go ahead.

smile.gif

Whoa, easy big guy!

Ain't nothin' wrong with having a gun or six in the house.

I myself own a .308 (which has never been fired).

My friends used to ask me why I bought the damn thing to which I would always reply: "it's better to have a gun and not need one than it is to need a gun and not have one"........

If anything, I'm jealous that it's easier to own a firearm in the US than it is in Canada. I had to get a criminal records background check, take the CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) and then apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence.

Be proud of your guns!!

I happened to be reading the beginning of this thread where all the folks who are "disgusted and nauseated" by the mere thought of guns eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif When i popped to the end of the thread and read your post...and misunderstood your comment.

Sorry about that!

Yes, sadly it's only a few bad apples that give guns a bad name, but isn't it like that with everything else?

I still think Charlton Heston is an asshole though.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 20 2007, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 11:20 AM)
Americans love their guns, make no mistake.

Yes, and so do the bad guys the world over.

The difference here?

I'm LEGAL, and MY guns will never be used in the commision of a crime as long as they are in my possession.

I'm just not stupid enough to think that my fists are an acceptable counter to a criminal with a gun.

However, you go ahead.

smile.gif

Whoa, easy big guy!

Ain't nothin' wrong with having a gun or six in the house.

I myself own a .308 (which has never been fired).

My friends used to ask me why I bought the damn thing to which I would always reply: "it's better to have a gun and not need one than it is to need a gun and not have one"........

If anything, I'm jealous that it's easier to own a firearm in the US than it is in Canada. I had to get a criminal records background check, take the CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) and then apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence.

Be proud of your guns!!

oh no, drock, we have to go thru stringent checks to....when I wanted to apply for LTC, I had to fill out this form that was about 5 pages long so that they could run a background check, run a drug test, you had to pass the firearms safety course, and I had to get references laugh.gif They don't just hand out the LTC's like candy down here laugh.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 03:13 PM)

oh no, drock, we have to go thru stringent checks to....when I wanted to apply for LTC, I had to fill out this form that was about 5 pages long so that they could run a background check, run a drug test, you had to pass the firearms safety course, and I had to get references laugh.gif They don't just hand out the LTC's like candy down here laugh.gif

Oh?

Interesting. I always though I could walk into a pawn shop in Lincoln Park MI or somewhere, slap down a couple hundred bucks and pick myself up a nice Beretta with no questions asked.

Hmm, well I guess that's a good thing. I wonder if each state has it's own regulations? In Canada, we have this multi-billion dollar boondoggle called the National Gun Registry. It's too bad all the good, law abiding folk have to go through the mounds of paperwork and get the runaround, all the while criminals are going around shootin' up the streets unabated.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 05:26 PM)

oh no, drock, we have to go thru stringent checks to....when I wanted to apply for LTC, I had to fill out this form that was about 5 pages long so that they could run a background check, run a drug test, you had to pass the firearms safety course, and I had to get references laugh.gif  They don't just hand out the LTC's like candy down here laugh.gif

Oh?

Interesting. I always though I could walk into a pawn shop in Lincoln Park MI or somewhere, slap down a couple hundred bucks and pick myself up a nice Beretta with no questions asked.

Hmm, well I guess that's a good thing. I wonder if each state has it's own regulations? In Canada, we have this multi-billion dollar boondoggle called the National Gun Registry. It's too bad all the good, law abiding folk have to go through the mounds of paperwork and get the runaround, all the while criminals are going around shootin' up the streets unabated.

Well, that was in MA - I haven't tried since moving up here. My father, mother & sister all have their LTC...I was discouraged from getting it when I was still married to my ex because my family was REALLY worried about his anger management issues compounded with having a firearm in the house, so yeah, I kinda agreed with them laugh.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 03:29 PM)
I was discouraged from getting it when I was still married to my ex because my family was REALLY worried about his anger management issues compounded with having a firearm in the house

Eeeep!

Scary!

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 03:29 PM)
I was discouraged from getting it when I was still married to my ex because my family was REALLY worried about his anger management issues compounded with having a firearm in the house

Eeeep!

Scary!

laugh.gif yeah - just a little scared.gif I have been contemplating getting my LTC up here, though...Manchester is quickly going downhill, and, as you said, better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it yes.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 20 2007, 12:59 PM)
Actually, I know a lot of guys who hunt deer with a bow. But that takes much more patients than I possess.

Hopefully, everyone will be careful and there won't be any patients. wink.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 20 2007, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 20 2007, 12:59 PM)
Actually, I know a lot of guys who hunt deer with a bow.  But that takes much more patients than I possess.

Hopefully, everyone will be careful and there won't be any patients. wink.gif

Damn spell checker. It doesn't correct stupidity. laugh.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 20 2007, 04:26 PM)

oh no, drock, we have to go thru stringent checks to....when I wanted to apply for LTC, I had to fill out this form that was about 5 pages long so that they could run a background check, run a drug test, you had to pass the firearms safety course, and I had to get references laugh.gif  They don't just hand out the LTC's like candy down here laugh.gif

Oh?

Wait a second...you have to distinguish between the right to acquire a firearm and the right to carry a concealed weapon.

In Missouri, i can walk into the gun shop and acquire a fire arm in minutes, with only a 1 page form to fill out and an FBI background check, which takes all of 5 minutes because I am already in the system as a registered firearm owner.

I did it yesterday.

now, my concealed carry license is a different story...that took an 8 hour safety course, a very deep background check (2 weeks), fingerprinting, and linking it to my driver's license...and cost me 200 bucks.

These are not the same thing. I owned that stainless steel .380 in the picture above for 10 years before I acquired a concealed carry license....in fact, for most of that period, concealed carry wasn't a legal right in Missouri.

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 20 2007, 09:43 PM)

Oh?

Wait a second...you have to distinguish between the right to acquire a firearm and the right to carry a concealed weapon.

In Missouri, i can walk into the gun shop and acquire a fire arm in minutes, with only a 1 page form to fill out and an FBI background check, which takes all of 5 minutes because I am already in the system as a registered firearm owner.

I did it yesterday.

now, my concealed carry license is a different story...that took an 8 hour safety course, a very deep background check (2 weeks), fingerprinting, and linking it to my driver's license...and cost me 200 bucks.

These are not the same thing. I owned that stainless steel .380 in the picture above for 10 years before I acquired a concealed carry license....in fact, for most of that period, concealed carry wasn't a legal right in Missouri.

what I was referring to was for a standard LTC - that was in the town of Hudson, MA....

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 09:18 PM)

Oh?

I did it yesterday.

what I was referring to was for a standard LTC - that was in the town of Hudson, MA....

Is LTC a license to carry? open Carry?

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 20 2007, 10:39 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 09:18 PM)

Oh?

I did it yesterday.

Is LTC a license to carry? open Carry?

yup...i think my dad had to go thru more stringent testing like you did for the concealment, but yeah, that's what I remember when I tried to get mine - and that was like 5 years ago...

Suffolk County, NY

1. 6 month wait to get your pistol permit (extensive backround check just to own one).

2. If you find a gun you like you must pay for it at the dealer, he gives you all the info on the gun.

3. He sends it to NYS Police for Ballistic fingerprinting (few days).

4. When the gun arrives back from NYS Police you then have to go to police HQ and obtain a purchase document and drive over to the FFL Dealer.

5. You can then pick up the firearm (after FBI backround check on the spot), but must drive directly to police headquarters for serial # verification.

6. Then its yours. (much stricter regulations for full carry).

I needed to take a 1/2 day off from work last time to get all the running around completed. They make it hard for a reason I guess, most people don't have the patience to go thru the process.

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (lmnopqrstuvwxYYZ @ Sep 21 2007, 10:02 AM)
They make it hard for a reason I guess, most people don't have the patience to go thru the process.

beathorse.gif

Which is so dumb to make it THAT hard....most people who go thtorugh the backgrond check are law abiding citizens who want to protect themselves and their families.

i remember about 15 years ago, standing there in my apartment talking to my brother, who had recently gotten out of prison, who lifted up his shirt and showed me his Lorcin .380 tucked into his waistband.

An ex-convict with a concealed gun....

12 years before it was legal for ME to even carry concealed in this state.

Proof that what the say is right:

The criminal element will ALWAYS have guns. They will obtain them illeagally, carry them illeagally, and use them illeagally if the situation comes up.

That is why I am heavily armed at all times.

And yet, somehow......I can resist the urge to use my guns to kill someone in a qwik store because I need another case of beer.

Hmmmm....imagine that.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 21 2007, 10:52 AM)
So, what's it feel like packin' heat?

Well, the question would ACTUALLY be:

What does it feel like when you are NOT packing heat?

It's kind of funny, actually. Since I began carrying, i am much more aware of the people around me, where they are, and what direction they are moving.

There have been times recently where I COULD NOT carry, and that makes me feel naked.

I still have a knife I carry, and pepper spray, but there is nothing like the weight of that gun. (or in my case, THOSE guns)

When I see some idiot all puffed up and walking around like he is invincible, because he's 240 pounds of pure muscle, I just smile inwardly to myself...because I can drop him with a twitch of a finger.

For me, it's always two that I carry.

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 21 2007, 10:10 AM)

There have been times recently where I COULD NOT carry, and that makes me feel naked.

I still have a knife I carry, and pepper spray, but there is nothing like the weight of that gun. (or in my case, THOSE guns)

When I see some idiot all puffed up and walking around like he is invincible, because he's 240 pounds of pure muscle, I just smile inwardly to myself...because I can drop him with a twitch of a finger.

Jeezuz Kryst!

Where do you live? Mogadishu?

Edited by -D-RocK-

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 21 2007, 12:32 PM)

Jeezuz Kryst!

No...I just don't live in a fog of naivet'e.

Shit happens to good people all the time, and there is always a chance that you can get caught up in it.

I don't just TELL my family I will do everything I can to protect them...

I back it up.

Now, I have a kid in high school. Schools are no gun zones...and also the most dangerous places in the country.

I call them slaughter zones because those of us who actually OBEY those laws go in without weapons, and those WHO DON'T OBEY those laws go in with them anyway.

So, the GOOD guys follow the laws, and the BAD guys don't.

Hmmm....isn't that the way it's always been?

So, in schools, i carry my knife and pepper spray, which is legal.

I also avoid places of businesses that have signs up saying that concealed weapons are not allowed.

I videotaped a football game the other day, and how many videos have we seen of parents at a football or baseball game going apeshit and a big fight starting?

I ain't playing that.

Now, why two?

Because you could have a weapon malfunction, or you may not have a chance to get to your primary. If I'm willing to carry to save my life or the ones around me, then i'm willing to have a backup gun.

Cops do, so why shouldn't I?

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 21 2007, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 21 2007, 12:32 PM)

Jeezuz Kryst!

Shit happens to good people all the time, and there is always a chance that you can get caught up in it.

I back it up.

Now, I have a kid in high school. Schools are no gun zones...and also the most dangerous places in the country.

I call them slaughter zones because those of us who actually OBEY those laws go in without weapons, and those WHO DON'T OBEY those laws go in with them anyway.

I also avoid places of businesses that have signs up saying that concealed weapons are not allowed.

I videotaped a football game the other day, and how many videos have we seen of parents at a football or baseball game going apeshit and a big fight starting?

I ain't playing that.

Now, why two?

Because you could have a weapon malfunction, or you may not have a chance to get to your primary. If I'm willing to carry to save my life or the ones around me, then i'm willing to have a backup gun.

I've beed preaching that statement forever, nic to see that someone finally agree's.

As for guns i've handled:

-Glock 21(one of my favourites)

-multiple 22.'s (who hasn't?)

-Winchester 30-30

-S&W .38

-A Sig arms version of the Colt 1911

-12, 20, and 16 gauge shotguns (my personal fav being a BAR made semi-automatic.)

-And then the monster: a S&W 500 magnum, 50 cal. and I won't lie it's a powerful weapon(very manly) but oh so painful to shoot. Still, I love it.

that about sums it up, and no, I've never shot a fully automatic weapon before sad.gif .

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/geddylee2001/DSCF0924.jpg

I've updated my pics because i've updated my guns.

The left one is my Springfield Armory XD 9mm, my favorite. (17 rounds)

The middle one is my Bersa Thunder Plus .380 (16 rounds)

And the new one on the right a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 (7 rounds)

That little one is Sooooooo concealable, I can hide it in my front pocket and stand there with my hand on it, looking natural.

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 21 2007, 03:45 PM)

I back it up.

I ain't playing that.

Now, why two?

Hey man, I totally hear what you're saying.

Hard for me to wrap my head around.....you know, being from a foreign country and all.

Thing is: if you were confronted by a maniac who was also packin', and started shooting up a place, and was countered by other goodwilled citizens who themselves were packin' heat, that whole scenario would be just insane. In that kind of situation, with bullets flying everywhere, how would you know who to shoot in the heat of the moment?

F'n scary.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Sep 21 2007, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 21 2007, 03:45 PM)

I back it up.

I ain't playing that.

Now, why two?

Hey man, I totally hear what you're saying.

Hard for me to wrap my head around.....you know, being from a foreign country and all.

Thing is: if you were confronted by a maniac who was also packin', and started shooting up a place, and was countered by other goodwilled citizens who themselves were packin' heat, that whole scenario would be just insane. In that kind of situation, with bullets flying everywhere, how would you know who to shoot in the heat of the moment?

F'n scary.

The one who is aiming at more than one person.

QUOTE (Geds @ Sep 21 2007, 04:24 PM)

The one who is aiming at more than one person.

laugh.gif

Well buddy, I'll pray that you never get yourself caught up in a shooting gallery like that!!

trink39.gif