Rank Roll the Bones

savagegrace26

It's not the best album but I wouldn't call it rank geez.. ;)
  • Like 1

1. Roll the Bones

2. Bravado

3. Neurotica

4. Dreamline

4. Ghost of a Chance

5. You Bet Your Life

6. Heresy

7. Face Up

8. Where's My Thing?

9. The Big Wheel

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

On Bravado:

Geddy Lee ("RTB CD Launch radio broadcast"): "That's a pretty emotional song for me. It's one of my favorites that I think we've ever written. Just because it's quite a change.... it's quite a different song on the album. It's stands out on the record as being a different texture than most of the other tracks. That line to me says really says so much about the people, really that move the world, you know, the people that go out there and do what has to be done. And they're not worrying about what it's going to cost them personally down the road, they're doing what has to be done, and they're prepared to pay the price for it without worrying about.... the payment that comes later."

Alex Lifeson (Roll The Bones Radio Special): "That's a special song for me, that's one of the songs that we lifted some of the guitar parts off the demo tapes we used on the finished record. The solo is a thrown away solo that was just a one-take solo. That song and "Roll The Bones" and "Ghost Of A Chance", but "Bravado" and "Ghost Of A Chance", those two solos I feel are probably among the best that I've done -- the most emotive and the most spontaneous, and they were both one-take solos. And we just got used to hearing them and they fit so perfectly, and the bass and the drums kind of fit into what the solo was doing, there was really no reason to re-record it. You could never capture that innocence and emotion in it. And that's what it really boils down to; sound doesn't really matter, you can get a half-decent sound on anything and enhance it and make it a little better, but at the cost of losing the emotion. It's not worth it."

Lifeson (Guitar Player, November 1991): "The solos in 'Ghost of a Chance,' 'Bravado' and 'Roll the Bones' are basically one- or two-take solos played all the way trough. When we're developing the arrangement in the writing stages, I toss a solo on tape so we have something to listen to. It's late at night, the lights are down low, and I'm by myself. These were supposed to be throwaway solos, but when it was time to do the "real" solos, Neil had already adjusted his parts to fit what I'd played. So it came down to me trying to recreate everything - which doesn't work. You might improve the sound, but even if you play exactly the same notes you'll never capture that magic feel. The solos in "Ghost of a Chance" and "Bravado" are certainly my favorites on the record, if not among my favorite solos ever. When I listen to them, I heart the way I felt at that time. That's really the key."

Geddy Lee (Guitar Player, November 1991): "Neil's parts are complex, too. Listen to the end of "Bravado". There's an example of limb independence that rivals any drummer, anywhere. The fact that he nailed that in one take blows my mind. In only four days, Neil and I had all the drums and bass parts down. When you record that quickly, you wonder if maybe some ugliness will rear its head two weeks down the road. There were only a couple of little moments that sounded a tad unsteady over all that work; we're able to live without them. Alex did almost all the guitars in about eight days." Alex Lifeson: "In the past, it took three to five weeks."

Lifeson (from Guitar Player): "I think it was a first take. I played my Tele through the GK preamp direct to tape. The solo has a particular character and personality that's uncommon for me. If I'd erased that and gone with something else, then it would have been just another solo I put together in the studio, rather than something that happened at a special moment."

In the Roll The Bones Tourbook, Neil Peart explained the line, "We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost":

"A line from John Barth's The Tidewater Tales (he said I could use it) which echoed around inside me for a long time after I read that book. To me, it just means go for it. There are no failures of talent, only failures of character. I think that's often true too. Sure there a lot of talented people who don't achieve artistic or worldly success, but I think there's usually a reason - a failure inside them. The important thing is: if you fail once, or if your luck is bad this time, the dream is still there. A dream is only over if you give it up - or if it comes true. That is called irony. We have to remember the oracle's words, from Nike, the Greek goddess of victory and lumpy athletic shoes: Just do it. No excuses." (thanks, Mike - Mountlake Terrace, Washington, for all above)

• Like 1

Gotta admit this was an album I panned for years. But I recently revisited it buying a new copy off itunes, and I'm really enjoying it, nearly top to bottom (save Heresy). Sure, alot of it is pop rock, but like Presto, there's really good songwriting and melody. Im even liking the title track, which as a kid I hated due to the rap (I find it pretty humorous now). This is good stuff, just wish there was more of a bottom end in the production.

OK to the ranking already...

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

The Big Wheel

Dreamline

Roll the Bones

Face Up

Where's My Thing

You Bet Your Life

Neurotica

Heresy

Edited by greg2112

...and YES, I am serious.

1. Neurotica

2. Ghost of a Chance

3. Dreamline

4. Roll The Bones

5. Bravado

6. Where's My Thing?

7. The Big Wheel

8. Face Up

9. You Bet Your Life

10. Heresy

I enjoy this album more than most, I believe. :blush:

Nice ranking.

For me:

Great

1. Bravado

2. Where's My Thing

3. You Bet Your Life

Good

4. Roll The Bones

5. Dreamline

6. Face Up

7. Neurotica

8. Ghost of a Chance

9. The Big Wheel

Awkward Propaganda

10. Heresy

Erm...

Its all pretty boring but i like it better now than i did a little while ago!

Dreamline is one if the greatest songs ever.

I really like Where's My Thing and Roll the Bones. I like the ending of Bravado live.

The rest is all ok with Nuerotica and Face Up being at the bottom.

Didn't you just freak out the first time hearing Dreamline?

• Like 1

1. Dreamline

2. Bravado

3. Ghost of a Chance

4. Roll the Bones

5. The Big Wheel

6. Neurotica

7. Where's My Thing?

8. Heresy

9. Face Up

10. You Bet Your Life

Dreamline is one if the greatest songs ever.

I really like Where's My Thing and Roll the Bones. I like the ending of Bravado live.

The rest is all ok with Nuerotica and Face Up being at the bottom.

Didn't you just freak out the first time hearing Dreamline?

Yes, I did. When I heard the lines:

WHEN WE ARE YOUNG

WANDERING THE FACE OF THE EARTH

WONDERING WHAT OUR DREAMS MIGHT BE WORTH

LEARNING THAT WE'RE ONLY IMMORTAL -

FOR A LIMITED TIME

I was almost 37 when the album came out, and these lyrics really hit home.

But some of the best and truest lines ever ever ever penned by Neil are these from the same song:

Time is a gypsy caravan

Steals away in the night

To leave you stranded in Dreamland

Distance is a long-range filter

Memory a flickering light

Left behind in the heartland

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Great:

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll the Bones

Good:

Where's my Thing?

Ghost of a Chance

Mediocre filler:

The Big Wheel

Face Up

Heresy

You Bet Your Life

Pure Feces:

Neurotica

Apparently Heresy is for the 5000+ IQ Club, which I'm a proud member of.

I mean, with such erudite and socially telling lyrics as "All the crap we had to take" illustrating the millions of lives destroyed by Soviet misguidance, it's no wonder "Heresy" is such a genius of a tune.

• Like 1

Apparently Heresy is for the 5000+ IQ Club, which I'm a proud member of.

I mean, with such erudite and socially telling lyrics as "All the crap we had to take" illustrating the millions of lives destroyed by Soviet misguidance, it's no wonder "Heresy" is such a genius of a tune.

Eh. One stupid lyrical line is all you can think about? The percussion is quite brilliant.

He should have said "All the f*cking bullsh*t" we had to take"

Edited by savagegrace26

Perfect (4 stars):

Dreamline

Fantastic (3.5 stars):

-none-

Excellent (3 stars):

Roll the Bones

Where's My Thing?

Ghost of a Chance

Good (2.5 stars):

Bravado