New Foo Fighters tune - Something From Nothing

So I am a pretty big Foo's fan. I really like a lot of their stuff. Here are my album rankings to give you an idea of what I enjoy the most.

1. There is Nothing Left To Lose

2. Echos, Silence, Patience and Grace

3. Wasted Light

4. One By One

5. Sonic Highways

6. The Color and The Shape

I never listen to the debut or In Your Honor.....not a fan of those albums.

After hearing Something For Nothing my initlal reaction was meh, but after repeated listens I was warming up to it and now really enjoy the tune despite the huge nod to Ronnie James Dio front and center (Holy Diver riff LOL) I think Sonic Highways is a great little album. Coming in with only 8 tunes it feels old school. No filler at all.

1. Something For Nothing - It is a really strong tune with some signature Foo Fighter dynamics.

2. The Feast And The Famine - This is a bad ass rock song. A perfect driving song and a in your face, straight to the point Foo's rocker.

3. Congregation - I love this song. It was a grower and I really enjoy the lyrics, and the riff's and the massive build at the climax of the tune.

4. What Did I Do/God As My Witness - an experimental like tune for the band. I love the yin and yang and again great dynamics.

5. Outise - Ok now the album is starting to kick in here for a great run. This is the Foo Fighters I love. Intense, urgent, great arrangment, great moody solo section and probably my fav on the album.

6. In The Clear - The album continues to take off higher here with another strong song. It has the signature foo fighter strum in the opening verse and goes into a wonderful pcket groove with Taylor laying down the beat.

7. Subterranean - A very cool song. We find the band really stretching out production wise here in the studio with dreamy layered guitars. I love the guitar work on this diddy.

8. The band typically has strong album closers, but this one may very well be the best since Come Back from One By One. A very uplifitng and inspired song IMO.

7.5/10

Edited by Todem

I LOVE the new album. Second only to Wasting Light to me. The HBO documentary series of the same name is a must-watch companion piece. The series underscores the strengths of the album. The two are inseparable to me....

This X10. As I listen to the album, I keep getting flashbacks to moments from the show.

I LOVE the new album. Second only to Wasting Light to me. The HBO documentary series of the same name is a must-watch companion piece. The series underscores the strengths of the album. The two are inseparable to me....

This X10. As I listen to the album, I keep getting flashbacks to moments from the show.

Everything makes perfect sense lyrically once you watch them. Otherwise the lyrics read as a bit odd or vague...even non-sensical at times ("a button on a string and I heard everything..." - HUH!?!), but one watch of "that song's episode" and the stories behind the lines are revealed...and it's quite wonderful.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I'm enjoying this album. Solid 8 or 8.5/10, the only weak track is What Did I Do/God As My Witness.

I think Wasting Light is still better and their best album, but this is easily in their top 4 and contends with ESPG. Currently my favorite track is Outside. I love all the twists and turns the guitars do in the middle of all the song changes.

Album rankings:

Wasting Light

Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace

The Colour And The Shape and Sonic Highways I could interchange ranks

There's Nothing Left To Lose

In Your Honor

Foo Fighters

One by One

Not a fan if this band on record overly much.

But live they are amazing, best band I have ever seen!

Poo Fighters?

(Sorry I couldn't resist!)

:P :nya nya: ;) :hi:

Jesus man what a bunch of boring shite. FOOL THEM ALL WITH LIGHTERS!

"Holy Diver" riff ripoff confirmed.

Dave should be ashamed.

I'm surprised he didn't ripoff the opening "Limelight" riff in a song.

Get On My Nervesvana needs to be buried once and for all.

My album of the year...no lie.

Although i dont like it, I am very pleased they pushed themselves to try something different!

I am glad it has its fans. I respect this album a lot, and hope in time it will grow on me.

• Like 1

My album of the year...no lie.

Although i dont like it, I am very pleased they pushed themselves to try something different!

I am glad it has its fans. I respect this album a lot, and hope in time it will grow on me.

Interestingly enough, while the album has truly gotten very VANILLA reviews from critics (Wasting Light was applauded and earned 7 Grammy nods...and this one? Nothing) and fan reviews started out the same way, it's really beginning to resonate with audiences. I know this how? At one point early on, Amazon reviews were in the 3-star range (very low for a new release when albums tend to mark higher early on and then typically drop as the cynics dive in) and have blossomed to 4.5 of 5-stars, which is essentially where Wasting Light cumulatively scored.

I really think that's indicative of the resonance of the album on repeat listenings. However much or little you think about critics (I couldn't give a shit myself), mark my words this will be an album 5-to-10 years from now that does an about-face in their eyes. I really do think it's a solid keeper. Would I choose it over Wasting Light? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on my mood. But I really love the direction they chose on this record. I also really love that for an album I was worried that would be "Foos go country in Nashville"....."Foos go hardcore punk and funk in DC"....."Foos make a hardcore blues song in Austin" etc....it really does sound like a Foo Fighters record, and isn't some "with special guest stars" type collaborations that take the band away from their own sound.

And as an aside, while no new album should NEED a documentary series to be fully understandable, I have to say that if any of you get the chance to watch the HBO series Sonic Highways in the future, I can't recommend it more. It really does embellish the songs, especially lyrically. Having watched and listened in tandem, it's almost an inseparable thing to me...and I think if you've only ever just heard the album, you're really only getting a limited exposure to the inspiration that went into the record. I haven't seen too many folks who don't appreciate the record more having also watched the series. So consider that a high recommendation from me, for whatever that's worth. :D

Edited by Presto-digitation

I have said it before and I will say it again. They are the band I wish I loved but I just don't.

Agreed.

Saw them live, adored them.

But otherwise I sense nothing special. At. All.